Login to disable ads!

WiFi off or on

Questions and answers about Bebop, Bebop 2 and the Parrot Skycontroller.
Scootscoot
Battery Charged
Drone Type: Bebop 2
Has thanked: 0

WiFi off or on

Post by Scootscoot » 01 Jan 2019, 17:02

Been watching too many YouTube. Some say turn WiFi off and airplane mode on. If I turn off WiFi I cannot connect to bebop 2. Using iPad, Skycontroller 2 and bebop 2. Any help appreciated. :geek:

mirage2991
Newcomer
Been thanked: 0

Re: WiFi off or on

Post by mirage2991 » 02 Jan 2019, 03:58

I have had this issue too at times. It seems that the order of how you turn everything on matters. Since I want to be sure that my Skycontroller 2 connects with the drone, I turn those devices on first. I will then put my phone to airplane mode, and then connect the USB to it. Usually works pretty well, and if I disconnect the phone, the screen goes to snow, but I can still control the drone via the controller (thus a self sanity check that the controller is connected and not my phone)

waterlanding
Thinking of bearings

Post by waterlanding » 02 Jan 2019, 14:05

Scootscoot wrote:
01 Jan 2019, 17:02
Been watching too many YouTube. Some say turn WiFi off and airplane mode on. If I turn off WiFi I cannot connect to bebop 2. Using iPad, Skycontroller 2 and bebop 2. Any help appreciated. :geek:
OFF. The answer is absolute. There are no exceptions. Your phone's wifi should be OFF when using a Skycontroller 2. You should NEVER connect your phone wifi to the drone when using a SC2. Leaving your phone wifi on is the single most common cause of disconnects, loss of control, and crashes.

The SC2 has it's own (amplified) wifi that needs to connect to the drone to extend the range. If your phone is connected to the drone via wifi, the SC2 can't connect to it, and your range will be limited to the phone's wifi range.

The phone is strictly a display device when using an SC2. It shows you the information received from the drone by the SC2. That information comes into your phone via the cable. NEVER wifi.

Scootscoot
Battery Charged

Post by Scootscoot » 02 Jan 2019, 17:51

Thanks

That is what I needed to know.

Newcomer
Been thanked: 0

Post by 89101112 » 13 Jan 2019, 20:35

waterlanding wrote:
02 Jan 2019, 14:05
Scootscoot wrote:
01 Jan 2019, 17:02
OFF. The answer is absolute. There are no exceptions. Your phone's wifi should be OFF when using a Skycontroller 2. You should NEVER connect your phone wifi to the drone when using a SC2. Leaving your phone wifi on is the single most common cause of disconnects, loss of control, and crashes.

The SC2 has it's own (amplified) wifi that needs to connect to the drone to extend the range. If your phone is connected to the drone via wifi, the SC2 can't connect to it, and your range will be limited to the phone's wifi range.

The phone is strictly a display device when using an SC2. It shows you the information received from the drone by the SC2. That information comes into your phone via the cable. NEVER wifi.

So this remains confusing for me. I also encountered both answers online but unequivocal answers like the above one convinced me Airplane ON/WiFi OFF is correct config with SC2. Until I went to launch flight plan using free flight pro on Android 7 Moto Z phone and it could not communicate with drone (flew just fine, but could not transmit flight plan). Connected wifi along with SC2 and everything worked, flight plan transmitted. However distance does seem limited with less than 300ft disconnections while phone wifi is connected. I asked Parrot support for clarity, should wifi be connected and does it shorten range gained by SC2. They responded that Airplane ON/WiFi ON is correct config. I know this is true for flight plan to be transmitted by free flight app but it also appears untrue as phone wifi connection apparently negates distance gained by SC2.

Is it just an android glitch that flight plan won't transmit to bebop 2 without phone wifi? And why are there no straight answers even from Parrot, don't they know how their product works?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.