Forward distance warning

Mods for Bebop, Bebop 2 and even the Skycontroller.
nick2491
Newcomer
Drone Type: Bebop 2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Forward distance warning

Post by nick2491 » 28 Sep 2018, 10:35

Morning all,

Recently bought a Bebop 2 and love it. Being somewhat of a modding geek, I'm interested in arranging something to give a forward collision warning. Not auto collision avoidance, but simply a visual warning. My thoughts are a couple of cheap laser pens, fixed to the undercarriage and pointing forward at a slight angle, so the two laser dots line up when you're a predefined distance away from something in front.

Shamelessly ripped off from the Dambusters raid, using searchlights to indicate altitude over a reservoir, but it worked for them, I think it'll work for me! Obviously it won't work too well on vegetation, but I'm thinking more solid objects. Current thoughts are to have one slightly higher than the other - if the two dots are vertical, you're at the right distance. Higher dot to the left - too far, higher dot to the right - too close. Set for perhaps 1' clearance of something in front?

I'd welcome any thoughts from those with more modding experience than me, which is probably most of you!

waterlanding
Ready for take off
Drone Type: Bebop 2
Has thanked: 0

Re: Forward distance warning

Post by waterlanding » 14 Oct 2018, 20:46

In full sunlight you might see the dots at 5 feet or so. Since a Bebop 2 can travel in excess of 40mph, that gives you a reaction time of just 0.017 seconds after you see the dots.