Forward distance warning

Mods for Bebop, Bebop 2 and even the Skycontroller.
nick2491
Newcomer
Drone Type: Bebop 2

Forward distance warning

Post by nick2491 » 28 Sep 2018, 10:35

Morning all,

Recently bought a Bebop 2 and love it. Being somewhat of a modding geek, I'm interested in arranging something to give a forward collision warning. Not auto collision avoidance, but simply a visual warning. My thoughts are a couple of cheap laser pens, fixed to the undercarriage and pointing forward at a slight angle, so the two laser dots line up when you're a predefined distance away from something in front.

Shamelessly ripped off from the Dambusters raid, using searchlights to indicate altitude over a reservoir, but it worked for them, I think it'll work for me! Obviously it won't work too well on vegetation, but I'm thinking more solid objects. Current thoughts are to have one slightly higher than the other - if the two dots are vertical, you're at the right distance. Higher dot to the left - too far, higher dot to the right - too close. Set for perhaps 1' clearance of something in front?

I'd welcome any thoughts from those with more modding experience than me, which is probably most of you!

waterlanding
Up and hovering

Re: Forward distance warning

Post by waterlanding » 14 Oct 2018, 20:46

In full sunlight you might see the dots at 5 feet or so. Since a Bebop 2 can travel in excess of 40mph, that gives you a reaction time of just 0.017 seconds after you see the dots.

nick2491
Newcomer

Post by nick2491 » 19 Oct 2018, 03:29

Fair observation - probably should have specified I'm more concerned with edging close to objects to film/photograph without getting too close, rather than not ploughing into them at full speed.

dries_w
Ready for take off

Post by dries_w » 19 Oct 2018, 08:27

Its not a bad thought to make such a system and imo its not that diffucult to build. The main problem would be how to communicate - on some distance - with you as a pilot. Bluetooth has a very short reach, WiFi is allready taken by BB2/device etc. Just my two eurocents :-)
BB2 since december 2015 - iPhoine - Xiaomi WiFi extender - allways latest updates

waterlanding
Up and hovering

Post by waterlanding » 19 Oct 2018, 12:41

nick2491 wrote:
19 Oct 2018, 03:29
Fair observation - probably should have specified I'm more concerned with edging close to objects to film/photograph without getting too close, rather than not ploughing into them at full speed.
It's just my personal opinion, but when flying within 3-5 feet of an obstacle it's pretty easy to keep your distance via the normal video. If you don't have the piloting skills to do that, the lasers really aren't going to help.

Keep in mind that up close, the bright laser dots are going to mess with the automatic color balance and auto exposure of your Bebop 2. Everything around the bright spot will be darker than normal and the entire image will be off-color. :(

nick2491
Newcomer

Post by nick2491 » 22 Oct 2018, 10:52

Thoughts much appreciated. I've created a design for a frame to be 3d printed and have the laser pens already bookmarked on Amazon. I was planning on viewing the live video to watch the dots, so observations re the effect on video are gratefully received.

For the sake of the £15 approx it'll take to try, I'll give it a go, and if it doesn't work as planned, I can always take it apart and use the pens to torment the cat... :D

asmith61
Just flips over

Post by asmith61 » 22 Oct 2018, 21:31

Hi
I like your thinking there nick it worked for the dambusters so give it a go :)
I know what you mean about forward distance,the other day we had the chimney swept and the guy put a camera up the liner to have a look at the pot etc and he said it looks like some of the cement has come away, I have since flown over the house with my drone to have a look at the chimney pots and it was a little difficult as it looked like I was a lot closer than I actually was and obviously I didn’t want to hit them :lol: but I managed to have a decent look.
Hope you manage to achive what you have set out to do, if not have fun with the cat :lol: