Solaris8x66 Booster

Questions and answers about Bebop, Bebop 2 and the Parrot Skycontroller.
vrjunkie
Ready for take off
Drone Type: Bebop 2
Has thanked: 0

Solaris8x66 Booster

Post by vrjunkie » 27 Sep 2018, 04:23

Group,

I recently installed Solaris8x66's dual booster kit for Bebop 2 and have some feedback.

On the Bebop 2 side:
=============
The booster has constant power and therefore will be on if the battery is installed. I installed (and recommend) you also hook up led lights so this will be a visual reminder so you do not overuse the booster and drain your battery. If you install this mod - do NOT mount the battery unless you are going to immediately fly and remove it as soon as you are done flying!

On the Skycontroller 2 side:
=================
1. I HIGHLY recommend getting the newer Skycontroller 2 with the black tipped joysticks (the older ones have silver tips) and the black band around the outside of antenna hiding the screws (the older one has a white band. This will reduce the difficulty of the install by about 60-75% !!! No kidding you do not have to cut traces or solder on tiny RF antenna connectors.

2. No matter which skycontroller you have - you do not have to install the switch, the leds nor the voltage meter. This will further reduce the difficulty to about 80% (in other words - it's 20% of the job difficulty of the full job if you get the newer edition sky controller and skip the unneeded parts.

3. The main reason for the switch is to prevent the sky controller from continuously powering the booster unless you remove the battery.

4. If you instead solder the power leads to the USB port - it will only activate the booster when the skycontroller is on (this part is true with either version of the skycontroller). Also, in case you are wondering, the USB port does put out enough power as the voltage is regulated as can be seen in the specs in the picture below - this is flight tested by me.

Note on Solaris8x66's Boosters:
======================
The boosters Solaris8x66 sells are in fact the same boosters GoSkyRc sells for the skycontroller 1 (see pics below/orange instruction sheet is a pic from solarisx8x66 install 'manual' and the pics of the skyrc booster are from my camera that of the unit from SkyRc that I bought for my skycontroller 1). Incidently, the booster is available on ebay for as cheap as 19.99 - but does not include the proper cables or molded pieces to hold them.

The beauty here is that you can run the boosted Bebop 2 with either boosted controller (ver 1 or ver 2). And this is what I am doing.

I am working on a full set of instructions (with pictures) to be placed here to aid anyone who wants to install this mod as the included instructions are VERY confusing and require you to view youtube videos over and over.

If preferred, I would be willing to do these mods for you if you have a skycontroller newer version that comes with the power edition Bebop 2 (black joysticks) - contact me for details.

solaris8x86
Strange wobble

Re: Solaris8x66 Booster

Post by solaris8x86 » 28 Sep 2018, 09:22

>> vrjunk wrote:

Save this. The current Mod Kit for Bebop 2, Disco and SkyShit 2 will be EOL on Oct/2018. And no one will reach you for the installation because it is no longer for available for sales.
The next Mod Kit for Anafi and SkyShit3 are totally plug-and-play. So I don't think they need your help too.

To all customers, users and potential customers.
There will have NO further update in this forum forever about my Mods and future Mods.
For the next update on Anafi and SkyShit 3 and here after all the Mods. Please check out my youtube channel directly or in the Parrot Forum.
Advancing Bebop 2 to Router Mod with deep explanation: http://youtu.be/cumh4VZonVE
Bebop 2 Flight Record #0010 Finale (must watch): http://youtu.be/1pNyMSKwWaQ

Apolonio
Ready for take off

Post by Apolonio » 07 Oct 2018, 04:10

Thanks for sharing the information, I’m always looking for additional information to help with this great hobby.

And I appreciate Solaris for all his work pertaining to Bebop 2, the Camera Booster router and Sky Controller 2 Booster mods. Thanks to Solaris, I’ve learned a lot I feel he helped us push the envelope with bebop 2. It’s a remarkable piece of equipment with the booster kits. For what he’s asking for the kits, is very reasonable considering he’s including the nose hull, cables and all other parts.

The voltage meter I like a lot, instant voltage readout no need to connect drone to see what the current voltage is. But as you mentioned, it can be left out to help simplify putting the mod kit together.

Currently have two complete flying bebop 2 with Sky Controller 2 with Solaris mods, fantastic low level flights even at great distances.

Thanks for sharing,
Paul

Apolonio
Ready for take off

Post by Apolonio » 08 Oct 2018, 07:15

Something I experienced with operating this booster as a Router Mod 2 Booster Hull replacement, although it works with the bebop 2 Router Booster the parameters are not quite the same. Range is less so is FPV, but as a Sky Controller 2 Booster it’s great.

I noticed this couple months back, so I asked Solaris and he confirmed the parameters are slightly different between the Skycontroller 2 Boosters and Bebop 2 Router Mod hull booster. Last night, took apart the booster from an amplifier I had recently purchased from the U.K. Same amplifier your sharing above. Removed the cable connections and soldered on two U.FL sockets, and again although it works as a bebop 2 Router mod 2 Booster hull replacement FPV and distance was not there.

Solaris bebop 2 Router Mod 2 Booster hull amplifier is much better hands down, the parameters are different. Keep this in mind, without Solaris Router Mod 2 Booster hull amplifier bebop 2 will not perform to its full potential when adding these amplifiers in a Skycontroller 2.

Ive purshased four of Solaris bebop 2 mod kits, and compared them with the same booster amplifiers selling on eBay. Although they work well with a Skycontroller 2 they will not work well as a bebop 2 Router Mod hull replacement. Parameters are different, wanted to share this.

Paul