USB powered lights blinking

Mods for Bebop, Bebop 2 and even the Skycontroller.
Otsdoc
Newcomer
Drone Type: Bebop 2
Has thanked: 0

USB powered lights blinking

Post by Otsdoc » 25 Jan 2018, 02:33

I wired up some led lights to a micro USB plug to plug into the Bebop 2 USB port and the light will shine for 7 seconds and then turn off for about half a second and then turn on for 7 seconds repeatedly. Does anyone know why it is doing this? I can use the port to transfer videos to a computer without problems. I have tested it with one led strip on red and it exhibits the same behavior. I have tested the led with an external battery pack and it shines continuously. I have also tried it with the wiring as OTG and it will still blink. This is the led I am using

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01LVWFM ... 522KZVCAK1

You can see the power usage information there.

I did a couple test flights and on one flight a motor stalled mid flight so I am worried about the stability of this method. I have not had any problems flying the Bebop in my previous 30 or so flights or any flights after without the LEDs.

solaris8x86
Strange wobble
Has thanked: 0

Re: USB powered lights blinking

Post by solaris8x86 » 29 Jan 2018, 06:28

Otsdoc wrote:
25 Jan 2018, 02:33
I wired up some led lights to a micro USB plug to plug into the Bebop 2 USB port and the light will shine for 7 seconds and then turn off for about half a second and then turn on for 7 seconds repeatedly. Does anyone know why it is doing this? I can use the port to transfer videos to a computer without problems. I have tested it with one led strip on red and it exhibits the same behavior. I have tested the led with an external battery pack and it shines continuously. I have also tried it with the wiring as OTG and it will still blink. This is the led I am using

I did a couple test flights and on one flight a motor stalled mid flight so I am worried about the stability of this method. I have not had any problems flying the Bebop in my previous 30 or so flights or any flights after without the LEDs.
You should order its DC12v version (there is). Even if you can do it finally. DC5v is too dim and if you crash. You damage the USB port too. DC12v is a lot brighter BTW.
Advancing Bebop 2 to Router Mod with deep explanation: http://youtu.be/cumh4VZonVE
Bebop 2 Flight Record #0010 Finale (must watch): http://youtu.be/1pNyMSKwWaQ

waterlanding
Just flips over

Post by waterlanding » 03 Jun 2018, 22:02

Otsdoc wrote:
25 Jan 2018, 02:33

You're overloading the USB Port power from the sound of it.

waterlanding
Just flips over

Post by waterlanding » 14 Oct 2018, 20:58

All colors on = .21amps per strip. I'm assuning you have 4 of then - that's 0.84 amps. Although the USB port should handle it, I don't think it will.

The Amazon page says that one color only draws 1/3rd the power. Have you tried that? The USB should certainly handle 0.28 amps with no problem.

dries_w
Ready for take off

Post by dries_w » 18 Oct 2018, 12:08

Imo you cant attach LEDs to the mini-USB port because the FirmWare dont recognize the LEDs as a device to write data to.
I use also LED as 'navigation' lights but have taken the needed power from under then nosecap.Image
My LED are connected like this
BB2 since december 2015 - iPhoine - Xiaomi WiFi extender - allways latest updates