Login to disable ads!

Batteries - SD and HD

Problems of AR Drone 2.0, Freeflight 2, Flight Recorder GPS, Qgroundcontrol... etc.
MrAshRhodes
Ready for take off
Drone Type: AR.Drone 2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Batteries - SD and HD

Post by MrAshRhodes » 08 Aug 2015, 10:22

I was wondering about the HD and SD settings for the type of Battery.

I've purchased these larger batteries http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking/st ... ouse_.html

Add more weight but fit perfectly and give alot more flight time, I noticed that the flying with extra weight doesnt make the drone a bit more difficult to handle, then i saw this setting...

I was wondering whether the setting enables the drone to account for extra weight?

NSDroneForum
Newcomer

Re: Batteries - SD and HD

Post by NSDroneForum » 09 Aug 2015, 04:22

I had been wondering about that too. I wonder if it is a software setting that enables the drone to draw more from the battery because the HD batteries have a higher C value (can be discharged at a higher rate)?
The Parrot brand HD battery has a value of 10C. The Turnigy battery you reference is 25C. What does the stock SD battery say?
I guess drawing more could allow more power to each motor and so improve the flight stability?
Alternatively, since adding more weight above the rotors would raise the centre of gravity of the craft, maybe it just will be more unstable in flight as a result?

AR.Tommy
Serious flight time
Drone Type: Bebop

Post by AR.Tommy » 09 Aug 2015, 12:31

Hello,

the HD/SD settings is (very likely) only used for the battery gauge but as far as I can say it's not documented.

A battery with a higher capacity will deliver more ampere even with the same C rate, if you are using the battery only for the AR.Drone it does not make sense to get higher C rates. The motors must not draw more ampere than the stock battery can provide.
http://www.digitalsirup.com

Sweet and delicious apps for your drones.

MrAshRhodes
Ready for take off

Post by MrAshRhodes » 09 Aug 2015, 17:51

a minor and very un scientific test.

i put the heavy battery in and flew about meters. Took my fingers off the iphone to stop the drone, with the SD setting it appeared to stop more abrupt causing the drone to angle drastically (the extra weight gives it more momentum)...with risk of then getting caught by the wind.

When i was in HD setting the stopping was more gradual seemed to be making allowances for the extra weight.

All subjective though.

webvan
Ready for take off

Post by webvan » 08 Sep 2015, 09:14

Thanks for the test, I'd been wondering about that too.

As a side note how do you like the HK battery you linked? I'd gotten some 1800mAh batteries on eBay a couple of years ago and they've puffed up badly to the point where they're hard to fit in the charger and the drone and one is pretty much dead...It seems quite thick at 72 x 39 x 34mm/161 vs the 72 x 39 x 29mm/139 of my 1800mAh. Can you fit the GPS receiver on top?

MrAshRhodes
Ready for take off

Post by MrAshRhodes » 08 Sep 2015, 09:39

I like them, They last well but are big! They havent yet ballooned at all.
You have to think alittle about the extra weight as I've found this does affect stopping, ive learnt not to take my fingers off the control so quick and to slow it down first.

The GPS recorder doesnt really fit inside with the hull to fit flush.

To get round this I have

a) stopped really using it as the lost of gps signal seemed to send my drone all over the place
or
b) get a USB cable extension and velcro to the top outside of the drone.

webvan
Ready for take off

Post by webvan » 08 Sep 2015, 12:31

Ah, hadn't thought of that for the GPS recorder, thanks for the tip !

In the meantime I saw that HK also had 1500mAh batteries (72x39x27/115 grams) that looked like they could be a good compromise, unfortunately shipping is really high even from their EU warehouse (€8 for an €13 battery) so I think I'll try to source some other good batteries elsewhere with free shipping, not sure where though...if anyone has tips, thanks !

Linna
Newcomer
Drone Type: Jumping Sumo

Post by Linna » 08 Dec 2015, 13:40

The batteries look good. Thanks for this advice.
I wish you all the best!
free annual credit report government