AR.Pro's HUD

Moderator: ShellDude

ShellDude
Batterys getting low
Drone Type: Bebop

AR.Pro's HUD

Post by ShellDude » 15 Dec 2013, 23:54

AR.Pro's HUD has gone through a couple iterations over the years and still is not exactly where I want it, but it is getting closer. With release 2.0.20 of AR.Pro the HUD now includes a centered compass indicator. The details about the compass are attached below:
drone_compass.png
Inspired by ARDrone Flight and numerous requests from customers I have implemented a means of drone recovery while providing a useful way of communicating key navigational data to the pilot. If you lose sight of your drone or lose orientation to it simply release all controls, study the compass and align its nose to you. This is accomplished by rotating the drone on its yaw axis until the green bearing to origin indicator is at the top of the HUD. Now if you fly forward your drone will fly towards you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ShellDude on 23 Dec 2013, 17:05, edited 1 time in total.

pawelsky
Serious flight time

Re: AR.Pro's HUD

Post by pawelsky » 16 Dec 2013, 00:07

ShellDude wrote:AR.Pro's HUD has gone through a couple iterations over the years and still is not exactly where I want it, but it is getting closer. With release 2.0.20 of AR.Pro the HUD now includes a centered compass indicator. The details about the compass are attached below:

Inspired by ARDrone Flight and numerous requests from customers I have implemented a means of drone recovery while providing a useful way of communicating key navigational data to the pilot. If you lose sight of your drone or lose orientation to it simply release all controls, study the compass and align its nose to you. This is accomplished by rotating the drone on its yaw axis until the green bearing to origin indicator is at the top of the HUD. Now if you fly forward your drone will fly towards you.
Nice work!

Wouldn't that be more intuitive if the arrows were pointing outwards? I'm a bit confused e.g. when I see the green arrow pointing up.

BTW I guess "Drone nose direction" should be called "Drone heading" (that is actually what heading means - direction in which aircraft's nose is pointing) and "Drone heading indicator" should be called "Drone course indicator" (course is the direction in which the aircraft is moving - see the above wiki article)

ShellDude
Batterys getting low

Post by ShellDude » 16 Dec 2013, 00:22

Good calls about naming conventions... I went with terms not necessarily avionics safe.

Interesting call out about reversing the triangles. I'll look into it. I was much more focused on pointing them to the compass point .... Hadn't even considered trying them the other way.

Sent from my Nexus 7 3G using Tapatalk 4

pawelsky
Serious flight time

Post by pawelsky » 16 Dec 2013, 00:30

ShellDude wrote:Interesting call out about reversing the triangles. I'll look into it. I was much more focused on pointing them to the compass point .... Hadn't even considered trying them the other way.
Maybe diamonds instead of triangles will make everybody happy? ;)

Jayson Hanes
Spying is fun
Drone Type: AR.Drone 2

Post by Jayson Hanes » 16 Dec 2013, 01:24

see, for me, I think instead of being points on the circle, that it'd be better to actually draw a triangle (or triangles, even if with a narrow base).. and, the end (top) points don't need to actually be on the circle but could be based on a triangle in size from the center point approaching the edge of the circle which completes a triangle, which, it's size could be used to indicate it's velocity..?

garrock
I've been hit!!

Post by garrock » 16 Dec 2013, 01:52

pawelsky wrote:... I guess "Drone nose direction" should be called "Drone heading" (that is actually what heading means - direction in which aircraft's nose is pointing) and "Drone heading indicator" should be called "Drone course indicator" (course is the direction in which the aircraft is moving - see the above wiki article)
Perhaps "heading" in the context above is for a fixed wing aircraft in which heading is always the direction the nose is pointing.

But since this is a Quad Copter, it can move in any direction; the direction traveled is the heading. Since the AR Drones camera is fixed, it so happens it can point in any direction while the drone heading is another.

PERHAPS... Drone Nose Indicator should be renamed to Drone Camera Indicator ?
DroneMod.com --- Worlds first two-drone system: Repeater-Helper and Camera-Worker drones ! --- http://www.REDbirdRF.com

pawelsky
Serious flight time

Post by pawelsky » 16 Dec 2013, 02:01

garrock wrote:Perhaps "heading" in the context above is for a fixed wing aircraft in which heading is always the direction the nose is pointing.

But since this is a Quad Copter, it can move in any direction; the direction traveled is the heading. Since the AR Drones camera is fixed, it so happens it can point in any direction while the drone heading is another.

PERHAPS... Drone Nose Indicator should be renamed to Drone Camera Indicator ?
Even fixed wing aircraft can travel in different direction that its nose is pointing (pushed by wind to the side). That's why there are definitions of heading (the nose direction) and course (the travel direction) to clearly distinguish between the two. Let's not mix them to avoid confusion.

ShellDude
Batterys getting low

Post by ShellDude » 16 Dec 2013, 02:36

you guys are killing me :D

Jayson I'm working on something along those lines for overall speed/velocity... next release maybe.

Will try out diamonds too

garrock
I've been hit!!

Post by garrock » 16 Dec 2013, 05:03

Thing is... a quad does not really have a nose, a front or back.
DroneMod.com --- Worlds first two-drone system: Repeater-Helper and Camera-Worker drones ! --- http://www.REDbirdRF.com

pawelsky
Serious flight time

Post by pawelsky » 16 Dec 2013, 10:18

garrock wrote:Thing is... a quad does not really have a nose, a front or back.
Parrot claims AR.Drone does have front, and they even tell you in the manual how to identify it in case you get confused

"(the front of the device is easy to identify because of the camera)"

I guess we need to tell them to change the manual ;)

garrock
I've been hit!!

Post by garrock » 16 Dec 2013, 15:35

pawelsky wrote:Parrot claims AR.Drone does have front...
They also claim things on the box that are not totally true... LOL.

As for the quad copter abstract class.. they have no nose, front or back. Some have a camera and its direction is not relevant to flight heading.

pawelsky
Serious flight time

Post by pawelsky » 16 Dec 2013, 16:04

garrock wrote:As for the quad copter abstract class.. they have no nose, front or back. Some have a camera and its direction is not relevant to flight heading.
If you insist to not call any of the quads sides front (which is a bit academic, but ok), fine it doesn't matter anyway.

Heading in a flying vehicle is what its compass shows

P.S. Remember to no longer use terms like nose or front when referring to quads ;)

Jayson Hanes
Spying is fun

Post by Jayson Hanes » 16 Dec 2013, 16:16

I don't mean to muddy the waters here... but I'm of the opinion that the AR does have a nose (a front, as all quads/multirotors..).. however, the problem with the compass heading thing.. the compass heading is relative to the machine's orientation (where knowing what the direction of the nose is IS important). and has nothing to do with the actual direction it is really moving (vector).

FWIW, I agree that the terminology here should be kept in line with standard aviation terms..

ShellDude
Batterys getting low

Post by ShellDude » 16 Dec 2013, 20:15

Thank gawd I just used triangles, circles, and lines! You guys can call it whatever you like :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

pawelsky
Serious flight time

Post by pawelsky » 16 Dec 2013, 20:19

ShellDude wrote:Thank gawd I just used triangles, circles, and lines! You guys can call it whatever you like :)
Any screenshot? :)