Login to disable ads!

Skycontroller 2 FPV telemetry

Questions and answers about Bebop, Bebop 2 and the Parrot Skycontroller.
Maverick1972
Newcomer
Drone Type: Bebop 2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Skycontroller 2 FPV telemetry

Post by Maverick1972 » 04 Jan 2019, 17:14

Some help needed.
New Bebop 2 user with skycontroller and cockpit glasses 2.

When using the goggles i can't get telemetry data to display on screen while flying. Can switch between direct and immersive view with right trigger but can't get the heads up telemetry to display. Left trigger doing nothing. I'm running freeflight pro on android with sony xperia xz2.

Anyone else had this problem?
Cheers
Tony

scott511
Ready for take off

Re: Skycontroller 2 FPV telemetry

Post by scott511 » 05 Jan 2019, 01:07

Android or iOS?
You get it with iOS, but not with Android
Edit: Sorry, I see now where you said android.
Anyway, no telemetry with android.
I've spoken with Parrot about this and they say engineers are working on it.
My suggestion: only start fpv with a fully charged battery, and time it.
YMMV

Maverick1972
Newcomer

Post by Maverick1972 » 05 Jan 2019, 01:34

Thanks for that. Some more information. I'm running a pretty new phone running Android 9.0 (pie)

I've got into button config with the skycontroller attached to the phone by USB-C lead and switched the "switch mode" from L1 to L2 and then button A to check that it's not a faulty controller. But no success, just can't switch mode and get telemetry in FPV view

Tony

scott511
Ready for take off

Post by scott511 » 05 Jan 2019, 02:40

Mav,
I think it's just an android thing. I don't think it has anything to do with having an older or newer version of android.
Like a lot of other things in this world, I think it's designed around iOS.
Personally, I don't like iOS, but tons of people do.
You might want to check into the AR Pro 3 app. I use it mostly but can't remember if it has telemetry in fpv as I don't use fpv much. I will do some checking on that tomorrow.

Bebop.ca
Battery Charged

Post by Bebop.ca » 05 Jan 2019, 04:24

This has been an issue since Android 8.0, it works Android 7 but not 8.0 and newer. I have been in contact with Parrot several times about this issue. They say that they are aware of the issue and are working on a fix. The last update I got from them in October was that there would be a fix in the next software update in November. But that didn't happen. As Android 8.0 has been out for almost a year and a half and they still have not fixed it, I am pretty sure that they never will now. I use the AR Pro 3 app and it works well. Auriga Bebop looks really good for just FPV but I haven't tried it yet.

scott511
Ready for take off

Post by scott511 » 05 Jan 2019, 04:44

That's interesting.
I have never been able to get the telemetry even with android 7.
I also spoke with Parrot last year around July, and they told me that they had no timeframe for a fix for this. I guess with the introduction of anafi, the chances of getting anything fixed for bebop 2 will be slim.
I don't know much about anafi. Does anafi have an FPV pack, and if so, does android get telemetry?
I just bought a galaxy tab a off of Ebay. I think it has android 5. I'll try it next week when it comes in.

Maverick1972
Newcomer

Post by Maverick1972 » 05 Jan 2019, 17:20

Thanks gents. I'm sort of pleased that it's not me then and I don't have faulty hardware.

I have an old Sony Xperia phone which is larger than my new one so was thinking of using it anyway to use with the drone. I'll check it's Android version and try it.

Thanks again

scott511
Ready for take off

Post by scott511 » 06 Jan 2019, 03:34

Flew some FPV today.
Using galaxy s7 with android 8
With free flight pro I have zero telemetry.
With AR Pro 3 I get all telemetry except skycontroller battery life.
I also found a setting in AR Pro 3 that allows the telemetry to be displayed in imperial units (feet)

Happykook
Ready for take off

Post by Happykook » 06 Jan 2019, 15:28

Quick Question on AR Pro 3 since you guys are talking about it as an alternative to Freeflight Pro.

I was just curious, does AR Pro 3 work with the skycontroller 2, as in usb plugged into controller, or is this only an app that works by itself to control the parrot bebop 2?

I'm only asking because its $9.99 and honestly on the Google Play store it gotten some pretty bad reviews, alot of people saying the app disconnects and crashes drones...

scott511
Ready for take off

Post by scott511 » 06 Jan 2019, 16:31

Happykook wrote:
06 Jan 2019, 15:28
Quick Question on AR Pro 3 since you guys are talking about it as an alternative to Freeflight Pro.

I was just curious, does AR Pro 3 work with the skycontroller 2, as in usb plugged into controller, or is this only an app that works by itself to control the parrot bebop 2?

I'm only asking because its $9.99 and honestly on the Google Play store it gotten some pretty bad reviews, alot of people saying the app disconnects and crashes drones...
Yes, the app does work with the skycontroller 2; and it even supports the use of game controllers.
I cannot speak for other people, but I have never had it disconnect on me.
I think a lot of people get confused when they are told to turn their wifi OFF and turn airplane mode ON. They must think it won't work without being wifi connected. Guess they don't realize that they are connecting the drone to the controller.
I'm no expert, and I've been experimenting with the flight plan portion of the app.
If you set up a flight plan in AR Pro 3 and execute it, it WILL come back to you provided your flight plan includes a return leg.
I've flown several paths out to almost 3/4 mile and all have lost signal within a few hundred meters. It is very unnerving to have a flight path that takes 15 minutes to fly, and you have no connection for 10 minutes of that. But every one that I have flown has come right back. It continues to fly the programmed plan regardless of whether you have connection to it.
But, like I said, I can only speak for myself. I think the app is well worth 9.99.
The flight plan in free flight pro might do the same thing. I don't know because I don't have it.

Bebop.ca
Battery Charged

Post by Bebop.ca » 06 Jan 2019, 20:50

I have used AR pro 3 a far amount and have never had any issue with it. I am running Android 8.1. I mostly use it for the flight planning purposes. It allows you to transfer flight plans from one device to another. Also the flight plan is just a csv file so this allows for other interesting options for creating your own flight plans. The AR Pro 3 app also allows you to do map caching for multiple areas which is nice.

You can see the skycontrollers battery level in the settings menu of AR Pro 3 but not on the main display. I emailed the developer a couple of months ago asking for this to be added but never heard anything back. He used to be fairly active on the old official Parrot forum, but haven't seen anything from him lately on this forum, he does have an account.

Bebop.ca
Battery Charged

Post by Bebop.ca » 06 Jan 2019, 21:12

As for the flight plan continuing after wifi disconnect this can be disabled in the settings of the app as well. Most people like this feature as it allows it to continue its flight plan even after it is out of range. I do agree it is a bit unnerving the first time you do it. But I have never had it fail.

The flight plan in Free flight pro does the same, it will let the Bebop continue it's flight plan after wifi disconnect.

scott511
Ready for take off

Post by scott511 » 06 Jan 2019, 21:19

I don't want it to return home if disconnected during flight plan!
That's the only way I can get any distance at all!
LOTS of trees where I live.

Bebop.ca, sent you a PM

Marcio H
Newcomer

Post by Marcio H » 09 Jul 2019, 03:18

Bebop.ca wrote:
05 Jan 2019, 04:24
This has been an issue since Android 8.0, it works Android 7 but not 8.0 and newer. [...]
Hello, people!

I was another one that was complaining a lot because telemetry doesn't show up in HUD on Android.
I had a Samsung S7 and no telemetry on HUD... nothing worked, except the full screen from my drone.
Today, believe it or not, I was flying my Bebop 2 through my wife's iPhone (because I've just crashed badly my BB2 because I paid no attention to 'no telemetry' and simply forgot the battery status...). So, I decided to give one last shot trying my new mobile, a Samsung S10... I was skeptical, but... VOILÁ!!!

HUD was perfect, telemetry either! It is now possible to cycle through screens by pressing L2 button!

I have Android 9, up to date, Skycontroller 2 with version 1.0.9, BB2 software 4.7.1 and Freeflight Pro 5.2.5.

It seems that I finally be able to stop borrowing my wife's mobile! ;-)