Login to disable ads!

First Flight / return to home questions

Questions and answers about Bebop, Bebop 2 and the Parrot Skycontroller.
CoyoteJack
Ready for take off
Drone Type: Bebop 2

First Flight / return to home questions

Post by CoyoteJack » 02 Jan 2019, 21:21

I couldn't wait any longer and went out in the -12C weather and took my first flight. The most important thing is, I didn't crash it. It was only a short flight of 4 1/2 minutes around my yard. I am in a very rural area so there are lots of trees and very few people to hit. It was more of a get to know the controls flight but I did fly it close to the trees on purpose so I could see the drone and the phone at the same time just for comparison and future reference. A very large crow took a real interest in the Bebop 2 but after I yelled it took off. I did use the RTH button and was very surprised when the drone came straight down instead of coming down at an angle. Is that normal? It seems like it would not be a good idea to have it come straight down before getting very close to the base point. Anyway, overall I would say a good first flight.

I'm going to have to figure out how to make smaller video files before I try to share any of my flights.

Jack

AR.Tommy
Serious flight time
Drone Type: Bebop

Re: First Flight / return to home questions

Post by AR.Tommy » 03 Jan 2019, 07:41

CoyoteJack wrote:
02 Jan 2019, 21:21
(..) I did use the RTH button and was very surprised when the drone came straight down instead of coming down at an angle. Is that normal?
Yes this is normal return to home works like this.

If you are very near to your starting point the Bebop doesn't try to fly "home", it goes just (straight) down.

If you are far away and near to the ground (below min altitude, I think 20 meters) it goes up to the min altitude, flies (a straight line) home and goes (straight) down.

If you are far away and higher than the min altitude it stays on this height, flies home (a straight line) and goes (straight) down.
http://www.digitalsirup.com

Sweet and delicious apps for your drones.

CoyoteJack
Ready for take off

Post by CoyoteJack » 03 Jan 2019, 12:51

Thanks AR Tommy,

I was worried if it went straight down in the places I plan to fly come spring, I would be looking for a drone in a tree. Even at that I think it might be very wise to use the RTH button sparingly.

Jack

waterlanding
Thinking of bearings

Post by waterlanding » 04 Jan 2019, 01:50

CoyoteJack wrote:
03 Jan 2019, 12:51
Thanks AR Tommy,

I was worried if it went straight down in the places I plan to fly come spring, I would be looking for a drone in a tree. Even at that I think it might be very wise to use the RTH button sparingly.

Jack
It's never a good idea to take off from under a tree or structure. Always find a spot (it doesn't have to be that big) where your drone can fly straight up, because a RTH always comes straight down. If the drone looses wifi it will return to 20 meters (or more) over it's take-off point (DIRECTLY over it's take-off point) and come straight down before you can regain control. There better not be a tree in the way! ;)