Troubleshooting poor WiFI connection

Questions and answers about Bebop, Bebop 2 and the Parrot Skycontroller.
PPDV1
Newcomer
Drone Type: Bebop 2
Been thanked: 0

Troubleshooting poor WiFI connection

Post by PPDV1 » 29 Nov 2018, 08:31

I recently purchased a used Bebop 2 that came with a Skycontroller 1 Black Edition and cant get beyond 130 feet in distance or elevation before i loose WiFi signal and RTH is activated. I'm going on 3 weeks now reading everything i can find, watching every YouTube video and tutorial out there and cant figure out whats going on. I've reset the drone back to factory and started over, Bebop 2 firmware v4.7.1, Skycontroller v1.7.4, Free Flight Pro v5.2.2. I've tried all WiFi settings on both 2.4 and 5 GHz in manual and WiFi all. In manual mode i'm using WiFi bands with minimal to zero urban signal interference. I'm making sure that the drone is connected to the Skycontroller and that my device is connected to the Skycontroller WiFi before starting Free Flight Pro. I've tried using an iPad Air 2, iPhone 6 Plus, Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy Tab E, all up to date on current iOS and Android versions. I've piloted the drone with and without the Skycontroller and get the same WiFi range before loosing WiFi signal. Geo fencing is turned off. Flown in Video and Sport Mode. When I registered the drone and Skycontroller serial numbers on My.Parrot account I found that the Bebop 2 was from the Adventure bundle that originally came paired with a Skycontroller 2. I've come to the conclusion that i have an antenna issue but cant figure out if the issue is with the drone or the Skycontroller. I've checked that the Skycontroller antenna cables were properly connected. On the drone I've removed and replaced both of the antennas. The only thing i have not done is open the drone or the Skycontroller to check the antenna cable connections at the mother boards or replace all of the antenna cables. I don't have access to another Bebop or Skycontroller to borrow to help me isolate which is causing my issues. I have minimal electronic technical experience and don't have the equipment or knowledge to test cables and boards or WiFi signal transmission and reception strength. Before i attempt to open them up and start spending more money replacing cables, antennas, boards, etc. can anyone think of anything i'm overlooking or lend some technical assistance. Really, any form of help at this point would be greatly appreciated!

waterlanding
Up and hovering

Re: Troubleshooting poor WiFI connection

Post by waterlanding » 29 Nov 2018, 13:59

Thanks for all the details. It sounds like you've covered most usual causes.

Here's a couple that you didn't mention:

Try flying somewhere else. Radio towers, power lines, metal buildings, transformers, even geography in some areas can reduce your range. Wifi isn't the only source of interference.

Make sure the country setting in FreeFlight Pro is set to "USA" .The app intentionally reduces the SC's power by as much as 90% to comply certain countries laws.

What's your range using just a phone? 130 feet is waaaay to short with a SC. If your range improves (even a little) with the phone alone, the problem may be the SC. If the phone alone doesn't work any better, it may be the drone (or environmental issues).

PPDV1
Newcomer

Post by PPDV1 » 29 Nov 2018, 17:03

Thank you for your reply. I agree, I should be getting greater distance with the skycontroller but the distance is the same either way. What has me confused is that the Skycontroller 1 has its own amplified WiFi antennas and when used it connects and communicates directly to the drone and then my device is connected to the skycontroller thru the FreeFlight Pro app for FPV on screen display. So it seems to me that if my antenna issue is in the drone and it is broadcasting a weak signal that I still should get some gain in range when paired directly to the skycontrollers high gain antennas vs just the phone, shouldn’t I? Hope what I’m saying makes sense. My WiFi is set to United States and As for flying in antoher location, I haven’t went to a fully remote location with zero detectable inference but I am in semi remote outside of residential neighborhoods with a small amount of interfering signals and structures, however I also have a Hubsan H501s that I fly in that same location and get 900 to 1000ft (+300m) before I start getting some lag in FPV (5ghz) and still maintaining strong controll signal (2.4ghz) and could go much further I’m sure but haven’t pushed my luck. I’d like to believe that the Parrot technology would be a little more advanced than Hubsan and perform as well or better in the same airspace interference. I purchased this Bebop 2, Skycontrollet Black Edition, 3 standard batteries, 1 high capacity battery, 4 chargers, 3 sets props, tablet sun shade, Bebop tool kit, 3 extra factory drone antennas, srcew kit and silicone body supports for $200 locally. I’m assuming that the previous owner had this issue due to the extra antennas and couldn’t figure it out either but he won’t admit it! I’ve learned my lesson and buying used without test flight first won’t happen again. I’ve been wanting one of these since they came out and can’t give up on it cause I can’t even sell it to someone else knowning something is wrong with it cause I’m not wired that way!

waterlanding
Up and hovering

Post by waterlanding » 30 Nov 2018, 00:51

Well, if you've tried everything else, you're likely to need a new motherboard (central body) for the drone.

Here's one at a really fantastic price on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Parrot-Bebop-Dro ... arts&psc=1

You might want to pick up the toolkit at the same time...

PPDV1
Newcomer

Post by PPDV1 » 30 Nov 2018, 01:22

Thank you for the link, i haven't given up yet but it may eventually just come down to that!

Apolonio
Ready for take off
Has thanked: 0

Post by Apolonio » 30 Nov 2018, 17:57

If possible, order a Sky Controller 2 from eBay, Power Skycontroller 2 prices have dropped. New ones are going for $125.00 if you look around, I just ordered another Power Skycontroller 2 last night.

You can fly 2.1 miles with a Skycontroller 2.

Good luck,
Paul

PPDV1
Newcomer

Post by PPDV1 » 30 Nov 2018, 20:55

Does that $125 Power SC 2 you talking about come with a charging cable and charger?