Login to disable ads!

My first crash

Questions and answers about Bebop, Bebop 2 and the Parrot Skycontroller.
Eagle430s
Just flips over
Drone Type: Bebop 2

My first crash

Post by Eagle430s » 25 Nov 2018, 16:59

This afternoon things did not go very good with my flight..
It was cloudy and i had some trouble connecting my drone with skycontroller 2 and my tablet (never had any issues before) after about 5 minutes of restarting devices etc. I manage to connect it..i had moderate winds from my back (drones tail)
After about 7 minutes of flight i turn my drone facing me and it was returning back..at a close distance i had it hovering to take a photo of me..then i brought the drone closer to me and at a little lower altitute..around 5 meters height..and all of a sudden the drone's power cuts off and just falls from the sky
Very scary moment...controller had 63% battery and drone battery 52%..lucklily it landed on soft soil and with low height i manage to damage only one propeller and some scratches on the drone...after my shock i connected again the drone with my skycontroller 2 just to check battery levels..drone battery was 52% and controller 61%..so it was not a case of my battery dried out suddenly..i dont know what caused the power cut off...i dont know if the head wind caused the battery to move from its place? On the other hand the battery stayed on the drone while it was falling...i also have a video if it helps
(My skycontroller 2 was not updated to the very latest november update during this incident but i dont know if it has to do with power cutting off?)

aym924
Newcomer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: My first crash

Post by aym924 » 26 Nov 2018, 21:27

Have a look at the telemetry data with Flight Data Manager or from the app email the json file to yourself and extract the flight data. That may illuminate. Just doing the same forensics with my Bebop 2 after a runaway ( and thankfully successful recovery).

Eagle430s
Just flips over

Post by Eagle430s » 27 Nov 2018, 15:21

I wanted to see if this is a common issue for
Bebop 2..i an waiting for parrot's response since sunday as i consider this a very serious issue..it could have ended in an injury of someone
Also am not sure if i can trust my drone to fly it again

larry31
Just flips over
Has thanked: 0

Post by larry31 » 29 Nov 2018, 20:32

I had same thing happen to my Bebop-2 a few months ago. I was having trouble connecting, and after several tries, it connected. I had just taken off, and climbed to about 50 feet. It just shut off, and fell to gravel ground. Scratched nose, knocked camera out of focus, and broke a prop arm.
After a bit of back-and-forth with Parrot service, they took it back, and replaced it with a different drone. No explanation as to what happened.

I find it hard to trust my drone now. Next time this happens, I'm out of warrantee, and as far as I'm concerned, I will just give up on Parrot.

AR.Tommy
Serious flight time
Drone Type: Bebop

Post by AR.Tommy » 30 Nov 2018, 08:42

larry31 wrote:
29 Nov 2018, 20:32
..and as far as I'm concerned, I will just give up on Parrot.
I don't want to stand up for Parrot in this post but I'm in this space for almost 10 years now. And what's crystal clear to me is that all quadrocopters fall from the sky for tons of reasons. No matter who build them: Parrot, DJI, your own builds, my own builds...

My conclusion is: they are just not 100% trustworthy, you should always fly them like they can fall from the sky. Always have some kind of liability insurance. (depending on your local law)
http://www.digitalsirup.com

Sweet and delicious apps for your drones.

Eagle430s
Just flips over

Post by Eagle430s » 30 Nov 2018, 09:00

For my point of view..
I can accept the fact that drones can fall of the sky for lots of different reasons ..airplanes also fall off the sky sometimes as well..it can be a dji..a yuneec ..a parrot brand i agree on that
BUT i will not accept that "the drone has only 1 year warranty" that was parrot's firstreply and they wanted the serial number ofmy drone
If the drone has a technical issue and falls off then it should be replaced no matter if its on warranty or not...

AR.Tommy
Serious flight time
Drone Type: Bebop

Post by AR.Tommy » 30 Nov 2018, 09:07

Fully agree with the Eagle430s. I replied to larry32's post.
http://www.digitalsirup.com

Sweet and delicious apps for your drones.

Eagle430s
Just flips over

Post by Eagle430s » 01 Dec 2018, 22:19

Parrot replied after contacting parrot's support on facebook and writing to them how frustrated I am with them non responding to my email after 5 days..
they assured me that they will search for my email and reply to me via email as soon as possible
the next day I got an email from a parrot support agent asking me lots of things,,,how long I owned the drone,,,where I purchased it from,,how I was connected to the drone,,if wifi was on,,if I have any photos of video just before the crash,,,serial number etc. and also saying that I should have in mind that parrot warranty is only for 1 year
I told them that I have the actual footage showing the drone being crashed and every other info they asked
its been 3days now with no response at all
I am new into drones but I find this as a very serious issue and I was expecting an immediate handling of this case by parrot ,,,they act as it was nothing important ,,,I don't know if other drone companies handle customer issues the same way?