Login to disable ads!

AR Drone 2.0 Wifi Channel Selection and Modification

Mirumod, Macgyver, hull, cam, propeller, leg, cross, ball bearing mods... etc.
nemesis2497
Newcomer
Drone Type: AR.Drone 2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

AR Drone 2.0 Wifi Channel Selection and Modification

Post by nemesis2497 » 26 Nov 2014, 07:36

After getting frustrated with the AR Drone 2.0 just selecting between channel 1 and 6 only I investigated if the WiFi channel could be set manually. Here is what I found.

You will need to connect to the drone via a Telnet Client. These are available for your android and apple devices. I'll leave it up to you to find one on Play Store or ITunes.

First connect to the drone via your device and then launch the Telenet client. You want to connect to the IP address of the drone so in the address or host name field enter the default address 192.168.1.1 or what ever you changed it to.

You will get back a # prompt. This indicates that you have connected to the drone.

Now while there are a lot of things you can do in here, I strongly suggest that you NOT muck around or you may BRICK your drone and then all bets are off.

No one can be responsible for from the results if you deviate from the process I layout below.

The commands we will be using is as follows

iwconfig
and
iwconfig ath0 freq XXXX
and
iwconfig ath0 commit

Type in the command iwconfig at the # prompt and press enter.

The drone will return a bunch of information including the Wifi frequency that the drone is operating on.

This is either 2.412 GHZ (channel 1) or 2.437 GHZ (channel 6)

To change the Wifi channel to any of the legal frequencies you have to enter the frequency value in the command iwconfig ath0 freq xxxxM

Where XXXX is the frequency of the channel you wish to connect to, this number must be followed by the letter M to tell the drone that this number is in megahertz (Millions of cycles per second)

For example to change the drone to channel 9 for example the frequency for channel 9 is 2452 megahertz and the command would be.

iwconfig ath0 freq 2452M and press enter.

The drone will return the # prompt to indicate the change is complete.

enter iwconfig and press enter to check and see that the frequency the drone reports back has changed.

If you are using a WiFi analyzer to list the active Wifi networks you will notice that while the drone shows that it is on the new frequency but the Wifi analyzer shows it is still transmitting on the old one. This is because we did not yet commit the changes. Once you are satisfied that you have the correct channel/frequency entered you then put the change into effect.

enter the command iwconfig commit and press return

The Wifi analyzer will show the drone transmitting it's SSID on the new channel, that is all there is to it.

So long as the Drone remains powered on it will stay on the new Wifi channel. If you pull the battery and reconnect the drone will fall back to the auto select setting, in other words back to normal.

This is why I suggest you download a telnet client to your phone or tablet, so you do not need a PC to make the changes.

You can google and print out the center frequencies of all the Wifi channels in use for your country and keep it handy as a reference. Also it is helpful to have a wifi analyzer app on the phone so you can tell which of the channels are the quietest in your area.

Now there are ways to create shell scripts to automate this procedure somewhat and other more permanent fixes but you do that at your own risk! The two commands I have given and how to apply them are harmless. If your phone hangs up or you make some other mistake, simply unplugging the battery from the drone and reattaching it puts everything back to normal.

BTW there is a command to adjust the drones transmit power. Let me save you a lot of time, the maximum value is 15 DBM for the USA. You can only set it to less than that value. The drone is programmed from the factory to that maximum value for the US market, I know, I tried.

A good site with a list of USA Wifi Channels is below. NOTE use the CENTER frequency values for programming the drone.

http://www.radio-electronics.com/info/w ... dwidth.php

DierWolf
Newcomer

Re: AR AR.Drone 2.0 Wifi Channel Selection and Modification

Post by DierWolf » 30 Jan 2015, 01:27

Wow No comments... so i will put one.

everyone trying to get distance and dont know its most probably due to the channel its on causing interferance... sooooo..

FINALLY SOMETHING USEFUL! which seems no one took notice of.

Thank you!

arcangelraider
Just flips over

Re: AR AR.Drone 2.0 Wifi Channel Selection and Modification

Post by arcangelraider » 23 Feb 2015, 17:02

This is very good information. I have a question though. Is there any way to change the channels to 12, 13 or 14?
Always innovating

RandoMan
Newcomer

Re: AR AR.AR.Drone 2.0 Wifi Channel Selection and Modificati

Post by RandoMan » 04 Mar 2015, 07:08

Thanks for the great info Nemisis! A quick question from a not-so-tech-savvy individual. Based on the link you provided, would you suggest only using the "Center Frequency" instead of the Lower or Upper ones?

sandaruvankuveju
Newcomer

Re: AR Drone 2.0 Wifi Channel Selection and Modification

Post by sandaruvankuveju » 30 May 2019, 10:18

WoW. Great information. Is there any way to configure AR Drone 2.0 as a wifi bridge?

waterlanding
Thinking of bearings
Drone Type: Bebop 2

Re: AR AR.AR.Drone 2.0 Wifi Channel Selection and Modificati

Post by waterlanding » 30 May 2019, 13:07

RandoMan wrote:
04 Mar 2015, 07:08
Thanks for the great info Nemisis! A quick question from a not-so-tech-savvy individual. Based on the link you provided, would you suggest only using the "Center Frequency" instead of the Lower or Upper ones?
Deviate from the standard (center) frequency and your device (phone/tablet/repeater) which IS set to standard frequencies will have trouble connecting. You can't change the drone to a non-standard frequency without changing your phone to the same frequency.