Login to disable ads!

Motor issue?

Problems of AR Drone 2.0, Freeflight 2, Flight Recorder GPS, Qgroundcontrol... etc.
Astro112
Newcomer
Drone Type: AR.Drone
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Motor issue?

Post by Astro112 » 24 Mar 2014, 10:35

Hey guys. New here
Got my new ar drone 1.0 today flew it most of the days and loved every moment of it, I did crash it a little bit and had to do some quick repairs and it worked again, I did crash it into a bush shrub thing and then I got a low battery warning so I retired and put the battery on charge and left it for a few hours. Just went back to it then put the battery in flat trimmed it tried to take off and I got an emergency cut off message, it wouldn't take off all of the props would spin up as normal besides one of the props that would spin half to one revolution and then the led would turn orange and the whole drone would cut out and I would get the emergency cut off message.
Is this a motor issue an axel issue or something else because I don't want to go and spend x amount of money on a new motor if it is something minor. I don't have the c clip tool and I can't get the c clip off for the life of me. Any tips or tricks would be highly appreciated.

Jayson Hanes
Spying is fun
Drone Type: AR.Drone 2

Re: Motor issue?

Post by Jayson Hanes » 24 Mar 2014, 23:57

without more details (perhaps a youtube posted video) it's hard to help.. could simply be a bent shaft that prevents the prop gear from spinning smoothly.. could be a damaged gear with broken teeth too

Astro112
Newcomer
Drone Type: AR.Drone

Post by Astro112 » 25 Mar 2014, 02:46

Thanks for the reply. It is petty much the same as this video http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iSmTcyeYHqU

I pulled the offending motor out today the prop is fine the axel is straight on the motor teeth itself there are some slight marks in it I thought that could be the issue.

Any suggestions.

Shaft
Charged up again
Drone Type: Jumping Sumo

Post by Shaft » 25 Mar 2014, 11:42

When I read your description I thought the same as Jayson, the crash into the bush doesn't sound bad enough to do too much damage apart from bent shaft or chipped gears. Even just a couple of damage teeth will require a replacement gear.
Things you will definitely need spares of, depending on how you fly the AR, are...
Props
Shafts
Gears
Possibly a spare motor.
If you have these spares on hand it allows you to keep flying without the frustration of waiting for spare parts just because of a small crash. Bigger crashes can get more expensive... :o

Jayson Hanes
Spying is fun
Drone Type: AR.Drone 2

Post by Jayson Hanes » 25 Mar 2014, 12:51

is it really a 1.0 AR?.. maybe it's a loose cable from the motors to the motherboard.. (I'm not that familiar with the 1.0, but, they use the same motors/escs and cross.. so the wiring is the same which tells me it's worth looking inside)