AR.Drones in an ad-hoc network?

Problems of AR Drone 1.0, Freeflight 1.
kyelok
Newcomer

AR.Drones in an ad-hoc network?

Post by kyelok » 04 Jun 2012, 21:58

Does anyone know if the drones can be modified to connect in an ad-hoc network?
I am thinking of having multiple drones flying and sharing data between each other.
Has anyone tried this?

kyelok
Newcomer

Re: AR.Drones in an ad-hoc network?

Post by kyelok » 04 Jun 2012, 22:59

wifi setup script is in /bin/wifi_setup.sh
it reads from configuration file /data/config.ini

You can choose to setup ad-hoc network by setting wifi_mode=1 in the config file.
I haven't tried it yet. Hopefully, it'll work ;)

szuu
Strange wobble

Post by szuu » 04 Jun 2012, 23:04

kyelok wrote:Does anyone know if the drones can be modified to connect in an ad-hoc network?
I am thinking of having multiple drones flying and sharing data between each other.
Has anyone tried this?
i'm sure this is possible, the ad-hoc mode was the default wifi mode before they switched to infrastructure for better android compatibility (and it still can be enabled by editing the /data/config.ini file)
having multiple drones in the same network is also supported "by design", this is what happens in multiplayer games.

i only have one drone, but when i finally get the 2.0, it would be interesting to see if one of the drones could be programmed to act as a flying relay (knowing the gps position of the main drone and the base station, stay in the middle and pass the data. and now imagine the hardcore version: having the unlimited supply of drones, the control range can be extended indefinitely by creating a chain of relay drones :lol: )

yellowboy63
Thinking of bearings

Post by yellowboy63 » 05 Jun 2012, 01:28

If you have an 1.0 drone just hold the reset button for 4 seconds to switch between adhoc and infrastructure mode, if you have a 2.0 your out of luck maybe script only. :oops:

matrix961
Strange wobble
Drone Type: AR.Drone 2

Post by matrix961 » 05 Jun 2012, 01:50

Setting to ad-hoc works. Just set wifi_mode to 1 in the config.ini file and save it. At the prompt type "sync" so it doesn't get reset on a reboot. Restart drone and it starts up in ad-hoc mode, I just tried it on my 2.0. I wonder why they disabled the switch between wifi modes using the reset button on the 2.0?

kyelok
Newcomer

Post by kyelok » 05 Jun 2012, 16:58

having the unlimited supply of drones, the control range can be extended indefinitely by creating a chain of relay drones
Sounds great minus the 10 minute battery life... you would have to walk around and pick up all those drones after 10 minutes of ultimate glory :p

If you have an 1.0 drone just hold the reset button for 4 seconds to switch between adhoc and infrastructure mode
Cool tip thanks!

At the prompt type "sync" so it doesn't get reset on a reboot.
Thanks for the tip. I was puzzled by the config script resetting on reboot but was too scared to perma replace rcS script haha.