Bought a used Drone, I think its a little funky? Help needed

Problems of AR Drone 1.0, Freeflight 1.
toaster
Battery Charged
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Bought a used Drone, I think its a little funky? Help needed

Post by toaster » 29 Sep 2011, 20:52

So last night I bought a used drone. The indoor hull (with the prop protection circles) had 1 crack, so we taped it up... other than that it seems ok. It flies, launches, lands, etc... the problem is it seems a bit wobbly and occasionally just randomly goes up - without me telling it to.

Just today I downloaded the real "freeflight" app from the itunes appstore (v1.9.1) for my iphone 4 and it updated the firmware on the drone to 1.7.6 I think. I think it had version 1.6.6 before this....

What I'm trying to figure out is if this particular drone has some kind of issues or is it user error or are they all like this? I don't know the history of the drone obviously - and of course the seller told me it was perfect in every way, but one thing that freaked me out when he sold it to me was he mentioned that if I broke a propeller they're only like $6, so I immediately thought: well he obviously knows that for reason. :roll:

It doesn't hover completely steady - though I don't know for sure if any of them do.... seems like it wants to wobble a bit and will drift side to side and continue to try and correct itself.

One of the things I read somewhere said it will continue to hover and fly at a consistent altitude, so if I fly it up or down my stairs it will fly up or down at a diagonal angle, to maintain the same height with the stairs, mine doesnt want to do that... flying up the stairs (as an example) it will fly right in to one of the stairs if I don't make it climb altitude.

What are some good steps for buying a used drone and verifying it doesnt have any real issues....? I've been watching video's, reading stuff - but there is just soooo much information - its a little confusing and I'm kind of getting overloaded and I'm not sure what's accurate and what's not.

Steve V
Ready for take off

Re: Bought a used Drone, I think its a little funky? Help ne

Post by Steve V » 29 Sep 2011, 21:10

If you are flying your drone indoors it is normal for it to drift, bob and weave around a bit. This is due to turbulence caused by the prop wash interacting with nearby objects and walls. To get a true idea of the drones stability place a target, such as the landing pad graphic on the drone's shipping carton, on an open flat surface outdoors. Setup the app for outdoor flight and outdoor hull. Place the drone on the target and press flat trim. Now take off and see how well the drone hovers above the target. A properly functioning drone should stay fixed over the target even in a light wind.

toaster
Battery Charged

Post by toaster » 30 Sep 2011, 00:17

Mine doesn't seem to want to stabilize with indoor hull or outdoor hull... inside or outside. Just continues to try and stabilize. :(

I'm assuming if I launch it, and leave it alone it SHOULD just hover - at about the same altitude and location without drifting and going up and down right?

poppo
Ready for take off

Post by poppo » 30 Sep 2011, 02:05

toaster wrote:I'm assuming if I launch it, and leave it alone it SHOULD just hover - at about the same altitude and location without drifting and going up and down right?
Yes it should althought a little drift is normal. You mentioned 'wobble'. Check to make sure you don't have a bent prop shaft. I bent my first one the other day and it was not even a hard crash. The first thing I noticed was that it was wobbling instead of hovering smooth. Just spin the props and watch the gear where it meshes with the motor. It will be easy to see if it's bent. Of course you can also remove them, and roll them on a flat surface.

brunoaduarte
Newcomer

Post by brunoaduarte » 03 Oct 2011, 07:28

Hello guys,

I think i have the same problem here. I've just bought my 1st Ar. Drone from a individual seller here in Brazil.

The seller said the Ar. Drone was brand new, but the box came opened. The Ar. Drone itself has no use marks but i suspect he maybe changed some electronic components of it.

So i just want to make sure, that he really sent me a new Ar. Drone and did not replaced any bad parts (like PCB or some motor).

Is there a software or AT CMDs to test every module of the Ar. Drone ?
For example, how do i know the ultrasonic sensor's working properly ?

I'm asking because, i'm not able to get a good control of the Ar. Drone on my first tests.

I press the take off button, and wait for it to stabilize, but it doesn't do it very well, i don't know if it's because of the winds, or the ultrasonic sensor is broken, or perhaps the main PCB is not good. I don't know.

Here's a video of it taking off and crashing on a small room, in the begining i wasn't touching anything on the iPad control, i just let it stabilize, but as you can see, it doesn't do it very well. Until 30s of video i'm not even touching the controls, i expected it to be stopped in the air, but it keeps shaking. And after that, i just rotate the drone, but it keeps moving. I thought it has to rotate but remaining on the same position. Maybe because it's a small room, and the wind that the drone creates comes back at him and disturb stabilization ? Does it looks stable to you that have experience with it ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkhEbHVfPaM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I take it off from the box H side, and did the FLAT TRIM before taking off.

Also one question, does the drone only uses its Down Camera for stabilizing ? Or does it also uses it's internal accelerometer to detect accelerations on X and Y axes and compensate flying to the other side untill the acceleration on these axes ?

Thanks

Maxstatic
Newcomer

Post by Maxstatic » 09 Nov 2011, 15:13

i have the same kind of issue - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTk1u82pA2I" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; i also bought my drone second hand