Front camera: disected

Problems of AR Drone 1.0, Freeflight 1.
plexus
Up and hovering
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Front camera: disected

Post by plexus » 12 Feb 2011, 02:22

I flew the drone a couple months ago without a top hull and this was a bad idea... it crashed and broke off the front camera. So I thought I would dissect it to see if there was some way to repair it. in this case re-attaching the ribbon cable or buying a new camera module to fit in the housing. Well, this does not look possible. See the attached pictures.

The camera circuit is bonded to the back metal plate. I see no way of repairing this or replacing it. Have any of you seen an OEM camera design like this? It looks custom to the drone, to me.

I left the photos at high res so you can zoom in. Gotta love the Olympus 50mm f2 macro lens!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

plexus
Up and hovering

Re: Front camera: disected

Post by plexus » 14 Feb 2011, 22:08

I *think* but am not sure that this might be the CCD module the front cam is based on:

http://www.ovt.com/download_document.ph ... ensorid=79" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have looked at a number of modules that use this CCD module and they basically use the same number of "wires" (~16) but with ground wires between the signal wires giving a total of around 30 at the connector. I think the module used by the AR.Drone uses a ground shield along the length of the cable to reduce the number of "active" wires to 16.

I have yet to find a complete module that matches the AR.Drone one. however i found this one that uses a similar lens package design

http://yokitech.en.alibaba.com/product/ ... ODULE.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I really want to find the module used so we have a source of replacements.

S4 Ar Drone
Just flips over

Post by S4 Ar Drone » 14 Feb 2011, 22:48

just buy a new Parrot AR.Drone Replacement Bottom Structure its only $49.00 for it and this time
fly with the outdoor or indoor hull on only..becaues if you fly like you did and crash this might happend
or you will break off the nose of the camera. but i will just buy a new one if you have the money get one..

plexus
Up and hovering

Post by plexus » 15 Feb 2011, 00:14

$49 for the hull plus $20-30 shipping. I would prefer to find the camera itself if possible to prevent having to buy hulls all the time. not that I plan to break the camera, but its worth spending time to try and find a source so we don't have to keep buying lower hulls just to fix our cameras, *if* its an OEM part.

2k05gt
Newcomer
Drone Type: AR.Drone 2

Post by 2k05gt » 30 Jul 2020, 16:30

I agree, I have broke 6 front cameras in 4 years and I have a pile of lower hulls, it seems to be a bit of a waste to keep buying stuff I do not need.