iOS 11 compatible app for AR 2.0?

Problems of AR Drone 2.0, Freeflight 2, Flight Recorder GPS, Qgroundcontrol... etc.
jmaluso
Newcomer
Drone Type: AR.Drone 2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

iOS 11 compatible app for AR 2.0?

Post by jmaluso » 22 Dec 2017, 20:22

Hello,
Is there an iOS 11 compatible app that will let me use an MFi controller? I have read about Drone Control US but it doesn't seem to support the newer version of iOS.

Thanks!

AR.Tommy
Charged up again
Drone Type: Bebop

Re: iOS 11 compatible app for AR 2.0?

Post by AR.Tommy » 23 Dec 2017, 15:24

Hello and welcome,

Developers are unable to update the app because the "core" of the app is no longer updated through Parrot (the vendor of the AR.Drone). At least this is the situation for iOS, it looks like for Android it is still possible.

And to be honest, I have no hope that this will change anytime soon. Maybe it is a great time to upgrade your AR.Drone to a Bebop?
http://www.digitalsirup.com

Sweet and delicious apps for your drones.

jmaluso
Newcomer
Drone Type: AR.Drone 2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by jmaluso » 23 Dec 2017, 22:10

Just got the AR 2.0 Elite (not sure what the "Elite" really gives me) on sale for $50 at Best Buy to goof around and see if it is something I like. For $50 it is a halfway decent product. Although as I am sure you all know the app is shoddy, I get plenty of random signal/WiFi loss, and I definitely don't prefer the touch controls. But going into it I knew the shortcomings but was ok with them paying the low price. But honestly I can't believe they sell these for $150-200 in some stores still...definitely seems like old tech. If I decide to buy something else down the line it will definitely have a physical controller of some sort.

I was excited to see a modding community for these but seems like I am just a bit too late to the game. I can't find much at all for sale still. Looking for MacGyver kit and seems like those are long gone...bummer. And I guess I am out of luck with an app that will allow me to use an MFI controller since my phone is too new (and I don't use Android.) Well, I will mess around with this until I break it beyond repair and then see if I want to upgrade to something else.

Thanks for the reply.

AR.Tommy
Charged up again
Drone Type: Bebop

Post by AR.Tommy » 24 Dec 2017, 10:06

AR.Drone 2.0 was released in 2012, it is indeed "old tech" - from today's perspective like buying an iPhone 5.
http://www.digitalsirup.com

Sweet and delicious apps for your drones.