Login to disable ads!

Utility to reflash firmware / obtain installer plf with ease

Problems of AR Drone 2.0, Freeflight 2, Flight Recorder GPS, Qgroundcontrol... etc.
DaZa
I've been hit!!
Drone Type: AR.Drone 2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Utility to reflash firmware / obtain installer plf with

Post by DaZa » 07 Jan 2013, 13:18

Wolle
Newcomer

Post by Wolle » 26 May 2014, 00:35

Hello.
I need your help. I bought a ar.drone v2 with a failed firmware updated. All LEDs are red and I get no wifi connection. Now I will try to update the drone over USB. I build a USB cable. But now I need the software and a explanation of the way to update it. Can someone help me ?
Thanks
Wolfgang

Kyrt
Strange wobble

Post by Kyrt » 27 May 2014, 20:35

What have you built exactly? I would connect up to the serial port and see what the problem is via the console first. Updating directly via the bootloader is hard, the details are not public knowledge (unlike the ar drone 1). If the drone finishes booting and gives you a command prompt things are much easier.

Kyrt
Strange wobble

Post by Kyrt » 27 May 2014, 20:38

To clarify: the connector for the v2 is different from the v1, you can still build a serial cable but be careful of the pinout and voltage (a search should find the right thing if you weed out the v1 stuff).

Wolle
Newcomer

Post by Wolle » 27 May 2014, 20:54

I built a cable with a cp2102 to
Connect the serial port of the v2 to the USB of my
PC. I found this in the internet. But now I don't know what to do exactly
Can you help me ?

Kyrt
Strange wobble

Post by Kyrt » 28 May 2014, 01:36

Well you need to use the cable to establish a terminal connection over the serial port (if windows, the COM port that the CP2102 creates). I don't use windows but you can probably use hyperterminal. I'm afraid I can't remember the correct baud rate to use, probably 115200, 9600 or 4800. I think there's a thread on the parrot forum that will tell you. If you connect the cable up correctly and start the drone, you should see the drones main board boot up, and presumably stop with some error.

Wolle
Newcomer

Post by Wolle » 28 May 2014, 07:44

Ok.
Did i need any software ? I know that I néed the firmware. But how get I get the connection between windows and the drone ?

Kyrt
Strange wobble

Post by Kyrt » 29 May 2014, 23:35

Like I said, I don't use windows but you could probably use hyperterminal.

However, be sure you want to try this. If you get the connections wrong you could damage the serial port (or worse).

mastermangler
Newcomer
Drone Type: AR.Drone

Post by mastermangler » 10 Sep 2014, 22:07

So I built the cable, plugged it into my USB port, Windows 8.1 was able to detect it and I installed the drivers. I then ran usb_flash and it went through all the steps successfully, so I then unplugged the batter and then the usb cord. I then re-plugged in the battery and all four lights stayed red and the MB light was not lit at all. I waited about 20 minutes and the lights never turned to red.

Any ideas? How do I see the logs from the drone trying to boot up?

The wifi will sometimes come on after plugging in the battery, but only for about 15 seconds and then all the lights turn red again and no wifi.

Kyrt
Strange wobble

Post by Kyrt » 25 Sep 2014, 03:33

I think you are very confused about what this thread is about and what you have built. You say your drone is a v2, the software linked in this thread is for the v1.

In addition, the USB cable referred to in this thread is simple wiring to break out the USB pins on the v1 drone's debug connector, because the update works over a native USB connection. By contrast, a cp2102 is for allowing you to connect up the drone's serial port pins to your computer's USB port. The CP2102 is a converter. Serial is used for interacting with the drone via the console, which means if you connect it up properly (to the serial pins not the USB pins) you will be able to see the drones boot up messages via hyperterminal. See:
http://forum.parrot.com/ardrone/en/view ... hp?id=5331

All this will do is give you a clue as to what is wrong.

It is possible to update via USB because parrot do it, it works similarly to the v1 but last time I checked the software to do it was not readily available. Believe me I spent weeks on it. Just see if you can connect he console instead first. If this is beyond you it is time to give up.

ricksrb
Newcomer

Post by ricksrb » 18 Nov 2014, 02:25

I am new here and also have this problem. Just bought a used AR Drone and the red lights come on and my iphone says i do have wifi connection but lights stay red. I tried the reset and un pair but still the same. I made the usb cable and followed directions. Usb pluged in red lights come on. Install battery and after a short time a message comes up that the device does not have a driver so cannot reconize. Please help, it would be appreciated.
Thank you,

rafaelbmax
Newcomer

Re: Utility to reflash firmware / obtain installer plf with ease

Post by rafaelbmax » 24 Mar 2017, 20:05

Good afternoon, I need help to make a USB reset cable for air drone parrot., Could you help me., How can I make one?

Jefro
Newcomer

Re: Getting USB connected

Post by Jefro » 01 Jun 2019, 22:06

thamind wrote:
24 Feb 2011, 11:47
A lot of people are having trouble making a USB cable for the purpose of reflashing your drone so I thought i would post a bunch of pictures of my method so you will have the easiest possible experience.

First things first, you need a USB cable. it can pretty much be any cable, as long as the connecter to the computer is working. You can goto the dollar store and buy a USB printer cable for $1 and cut the wire with about 2-3' length. Splice the wire and you will then be presented with 4 smaller wires: red, white, green and black. You may also see some metal strands and fibers surrounding the wires when you splice them, you can just cut those off or push them to the side.

The second piece you will need is not easy to find, it will adapt the wires you spliced from the usb cable to the mainboard of the AR Drone securely. I just happend to have a Foxconn pata 2.5 hard drive to dell laptop adapter that coincidently fit the hole pattern of the male usb connector on the drone mainboard, so i used this. I was also considering pulling a bunch of hard drive/cd drive jumpers and using those to connect each individual wire if you have them available, they should fit.

The wiring pinout is displayed here for reference, and shows where to attach each of the wires to. The 1 on the top left indicated the location for the RED wire, the white to the right of it (3), then the green (5), then the black (7). The 3 pins on the bottom (2, 4, and 6) are for other purposes and not necessary to attach any wires to.

The adapter i had was so long i had to remove the mainboard cover to fit it on, and i did not solder the contacts properly, just kindof stuck the wires in and bent them up. this is highly NOT recommended because you can risk the contacts touching each other and may cause short. It worked, and connected tho :shock:

So once you connect the usb adapter to the drone, and are confident all the contacts are properly attached, go ahead and plug the usb cable into your computer WITHOUT the battery connected. Then, plug the battery in and the find driver dialong should pop up. Use the drivers located in the drivers directory of the usb_flash program (or with the firnware-reset package i put together) and make sure the driver installs sucessfully. You are ready to flash.

If you want to download everything needed to flash the firmware, point to this download and run firmware-reset.exe

http://www.jonbianco.com/firmware-reset.zip
Would sure be nice if the pictures were still available in this post. Or does anyone know where I can purchase the cable to connect PC to drone so I can fix drone firmware?

AR.Tommy
Serious flight time
Drone Type: Bebop

Re: Utility to reflash firmware / obtain installer plf with ease

Post by AR.Tommy » 03 Jun 2019, 05:04

The reason why it's important to upload picture directly into the forum instead of linking it.
http://www.digitalsirup.com

Sweet and delicious apps for your drones.