Drone falls out of the sky for no apparent reason

Problems of AR Drone 2.0, Freeflight 2, Flight Recorder GPS, Qgroundcontrol... etc.
GiZZeRR
Ready for take off

Re: Drone falls out of the sky for no apparent reason

Post by GiZZeRR » 09 Jun 2012, 19:17

Same problem today with my new drone. With 40% battery and 80% on ipad3, I did a flip, one of many today.....it completed the flip and then flipped back the opposite way and immediately cut the power and fell from 7ft to the concrete below. Broken cross :-(

Powered it up again and all motors show green so I've ordered a new cross. I've only flew about 1.5 hours, no crashes until this happened through no fault of my own.

Cross should arrive on Monday, then I'm going to fly it and if I have any further concerns or problems, it goes straight back to Amazon under the "unfit for purpose" claus.

John

John

TwoWheeler
Ready for take off
Drone Type: AR.Drone 2

Post by TwoWheeler » 09 Jun 2012, 20:54

I did a flip, one of many today.....it completed the flip and then flipped back the opposite way and immediately cut the power and fell from 7ft to the concrete below.
That's just it - I haven't been doing anything extraordinary when it's happened to me - and it's happened only four times in probably 40 hours of flying time....but I keep wondering when it'll happen again. As a consequence, I don't fly over concrete or asphalt much.

I haven't broken a main cross - yet - but have been through a bunch of shafts. (Especially after letting my BIL fly it last weekend....) ;)

DroneBoy_UK
Strange wobble

Drone falls out of the sky for no apparent reason

Post by DroneBoy_UK » 09 Jun 2012, 22:40

GiZZeRR wrote:Same problem today with my new drone. With 40% battery and 80% on ipad3, I did a flip, one of many today.....it completed the flip and then flipped back the opposite way and immediately cut the power and fell from 7ft to the concrete below. Broken cross :-(

Powered it up again and all motors show green so I've ordered a new cross. I've only flew about 1.5 hours, no crashes until this happened through no fault of my own.

Cross should arrive on Monday, then I'm going to fly it and if I have any further concerns or problems, it goes straight back to Amazon under the "unfit for purpose" claus.

John

John
Same here broken cross on first few crashes when it did brake it was on grass so a softer landing then concert wouldnt kike to think what else would of gone on it if i had hit concert i have since repaired my cross well clued it se if it hold.....i've seen a few mods you can get for the drone i'e landing caps,and this metal plate i've seen whuch acts as a sandwich for the plastic cross arm will see if i can find site again...to be honest i think the cross arm is not fit for purpose :)

kind Regards
shaun

Sent from my Nokia 8810 using Tapatalk :)

TwoWheeler
Ready for take off
Drone Type: AR.Drone 2

Post by TwoWheeler » 09 Jun 2012, 23:28

OK, did a bit of my own detective work.

Just flew, and had the drone drop out of the sky three times - each time I got the "Cut out" error message.

The right rear prop shaft was bent - I knew this - and the bushing is pretty well worn. I thought, "Ah, WTH....." and replaced the bent shaft.

I flew my entire second battery without incident.

The cutout message is generated when there's too much load on the motor. Apparently the bent shaft was binding in the (sloppy) bushing enough to cause the motor torque sensing thingie to pitch a fit. I think the torque sensing thing is a wee bit too sensitive, and the bent shaft wasn't helping.

Now, since I'm down to one more good shaft, and to replace the bushing would mean replacing the central cross, I think it's time to do some ghetto engineering. I can open the existing bushing and use a bigger homemade shaft (I have some 3/32 ejector pins at work that I think I can modify - the only PITA will be the snap ring groove). (I can do it, but it might be a pain).

I DID see a kit to replace the bushings with bearings - I think that would be bitchin' - but I think it was on a UK site, not doing me much good in the US.

DroneBoy_UK
Strange wobble

Post by DroneBoy_UK » 10 Jun 2012, 02:10

TwoWheeler wrote:OK, did a bit of my own detective work.

Just flew, and had the drone drop out of the sky three times - each time I got the "Cut out" error message.

The right rear prop shaft was bent - I knew this - and the bushing is pretty well worn. I thought, "Ah, WTH....." and replaced the bent shaft.

I flew my entire second battery without incident.

The cutout message is generated when there's too much load on the motor. Apparently the bent shaft was binding in the (sloppy) bushing enough to cause the motor torque sensing thingie to pitch a fit. I think the torque sensing thing is a wee bit too sensitive, and the bent shaft wasn't helping.

Now, since I'm down to one more good shaft, and to replace the bushing would mean replacing the central cross, I think it's time to do some ghetto engineering. I can open the existing bushing and use a bigger homemade shaft (I have some 3/32 ejector pins at work that I think I can modify - the only PITA will be the snap ring groove). (I can do it, but it might be a pain).

I DID see a kit to replace the bushings with bearings - I think that would be bitchin' - but I think it was on a UK site, not doing me much good in the US.
hello fella,

This is good to know i had a bit of a weird one tonight i know the lighting cond wasnt great only street light using the drone control app on absoulte mode let go of the control and the done carried on going side ways straight in to a fence luckly as it could of ended up "who knows" haha any way when it hit the fence it bent 2 x shafts and 2 x gears teeth damage so i have done some maintenance work when i goot back glad i did with just readin your post :) i gotta say the shafts are weak and i will defo look in to getting some better upgraded ones if they do them i seen some where they do any way will keep a look out on what other people say to this problem - cheers :)

Benfox01
Newcomer
Drone Type: Bebop 2

Post by Benfox01 » 22 Aug 2016, 14:58

Hi Guys!

Really appreciate all these answers and comforting to see people having the same experience.

As a new flyer and Bebeop2 owner. My drone also did the magical fall from the sky trick.

Im in convo w Parrot who arent really being belpful at present.

Since the crash. It drone does not emitt a wifi signal (bebop2 wifi does not appear)

Do you know which part I would need to replace to fix this? The GPS?

Also my motors are bent and battery clip broke.

If anyone can recommened the correct parts I need and tools to fix it that would be fantastic.

What would be even better would be if Parrot owned up and replaced the drone!

I'll keep u informed...

rog5
Newcomer
Drone Type: AR.Drone

Post by rog5 » 18 Oct 2017, 00:48

I have this same issue. although I like the response of the bent shaft.... it makes sense as to why it stops. However, it doesn't fully answer my question with the same issues. Because when mine crashes, I cannot get back to the wifi. I have not lost video connectio when it falls, but it will not get under control on my iphone anymore. So, I must reconnect to the wifi - which it isn't prone to do.

I've only had this for a few days - a friend gave it to me. It flew one day really well. Has had intermittent chances to fly since, and after that, it just drops out of the sky when it falls. Fortunately that has happened always inside, so the drop is small.

When I hit reset, or when I power off and power back up by reconnecting the battery, it sometimes reconnects the wifi for less than three minutes.... Then it's back to the drawing board - no wifi.

Any ideas?

Stanleymwang
Newcomer
Drone Type: Hydrofoil

Post by Stanleymwang » 01 Jan 2018, 04:07

My drone (Parrot Hydrofoil) sometimes just gives a burst of energy (goes up a bit) then falls right to the ground right after takeoff. Other times I fly it around for a couple of seconds and it again, just gives a burst of energy, and just falls to the ground. I don't lose connections and I switched batts. (one stock, one other brand) and it does pretty much the same thing. My drone did flip into the water on the hydrofoil a long time before, but it didn't do any of this until recently. Any help please? Thanks