Login to disable ads!

Follow Me disconnects my device GPS

Questions and answers about Bebop, Bebop 2 and the Parrot Skycontroller.
apicus
Newcomer
Drone Type: Bebop 2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Follow Me disconnects my device GPS

Post by apicus » 31 Dec 2018, 22:56

When I try to use Follow Me, my device GPS goes inactive... It works when I use my Skycontroller, but with just my phone it shuts down. I have an iPhone 7... all firmware and software is up to date.

Any ideas?

Art

waterlanding
Thinking of bearings

Re: Follow Me disconnects my device GPS

Post by waterlanding » 01 Jan 2019, 14:08

apicus wrote:
31 Dec 2018, 22:56
When I try to use Follow Me, my device GPS goes inactive... It works when I use my Skycontroller, but with just my phone it shuts down. I have an iPhone 7... all firmware and software is up to date.

Any ideas?

Art
Follow me needs a strong GPS to work. It can't work (won't even activate) with no GPS on your phone. What makes you think your GPS isn't working not working when using Follow Me? Do you get the "Weak GPS" Error? Does the settings/safety screen show any bars? Perhaps you just aren't getting a strong enough signal where you're flying. Buildings, trees, anything blocking any part of the sky will reduce your GPS

apicus
Newcomer

Post by apicus » 01 Jan 2019, 15:34

Thanks Waterlanding... before I try "follow me", GPS is working and has a green status. I can fly with no problem and it stays green. When I try to actually start the "follow me" that's when I lose GPS on my phone. The GPS on the Parrot is fine, it's just my phone....

waterlanding
Thinking of bearings

Post by waterlanding » 01 Jan 2019, 16:30

apicus wrote:
01 Jan 2019, 15:34
Thanks Waterlanding... before I try "follow me", GPS is working and has a green status. I can fly with no problem and it stays green. When I try to actually start the "follow me" that's when I lose GPS on my phone. The GPS on the Parrot is fine, it's just my phone....
What model drone?
What model SkyController?

Be sure your phone's Location Services is on. Standard flight doesn't require your phone's GPS (but will indicate that its working). Follow Me needs your phone's GPS to work. BTW, you're not supposed to use a SkyController with Follow Me option. Follow Me is designed for strictly phone-to-drone connections.

apicus
Newcomer

Post by apicus » 01 Jan 2019, 20:22

I have the Bebop 2 and SkyController 2... I got the FPV bundle for Christmas. I figured the Skycontroller was not for Follow Me, but was just testing it with the sky controller to see if it works. I called Parrot and they said they had reports of issues w/ the drone not enabling the GPS with Follow Me but this was the 1st report of the phone device not enabling... They said they would open a case and send me an email to that affect but no email was ever sent by Parrot...

Phone location services is on... Parrot said iPhone needs GPS services as well for the GPS to work. I did not understand that.... I use my phone as a GPS almost every day without any additional services...(Waze, etc...) I think I need to take it to a different location and see if that works... That's the only thing I have not tried.

Thanks for the help. Let me know if you can think of anything else.... Probably going to try me wife's phone to see if it's my phone with the issue....

Thanks

Art

M45h
Newcomer

Post by M45h » 02 Jan 2019, 17:53

apicus wrote:
01 Jan 2019, 20:22
I have the Bebop 2 and SkyController 2... I got the FPV bundle for Christmas. I figured the Skycontroller was not for Follow Me, but was just testing it with the sky controller to see if it works. I called Parrot and they said they had reports of issues w/ the drone not enabling the GPS with Follow Me but this was the 1st report of the phone device not enabling... They said they would open a case and send me an email to that affect but no email was ever sent by Parrot...

Phone location services is on... Parrot said iPhone needs GPS services as well for the GPS to work. I did not understand that.... I use my phone as a GPS almost every day without any additional services...(Waze, etc...) I think I need to take it to a different location and see if that works... That's the only thing I have not tried.

Thanks for the help. Let me know if you can think of anything else.... Probably going to try me wife's phone to see if it's my phone with the issue....

Thanks

Art
Hi, I just got the Bebop 2 FPV pack for christmas and I'm having the same problem. Can you post their response later? I have a Samsung Galaxy S7.

I'll also try with my Samsung tablet, and my wife's Huawei.

gnjac0rp
Newcomer

Post by gnjac0rp » 23 Feb 2019, 10:28

Hi,
Bebop 2 user here!
I see this issue everywhere along with the app crashing on take off for Android users since A.O.S 9 hit and yet Parrot are still yet to lift a finger to do anything other than the general "we are working on a fix" email or message we have seen 100 thousand times now.

I use multiple devices and have issues with the lot of them bar my archaic Samsung Note 4 which has all of 10mins battery life these days. (I know it has a removable battery but why should I use a worse phone and pay yet more money to use a malfunctioning product...)
Other devices - Note 9, S8, Tab A (Granted follow me doesnt work for tabs but theres still the crash on flight issue and menu options perma-crash the app til its reinstalled).
All run the latest OS other than N4.

Follow me I constantly get "weak device gps" it's only for the FreeFlight app mind you, everything else using GPS is fine and all my GPS info apps say I'm good to go.
It works on my Note4 but I'm hoping today's weather allows me to find a big open space to try it out properly but I want to be using my Note9.

Please if anyone has a fix n need a fix ;)
Just a wee bit inSaiyan.
www.youtube.com/gnjac0rp