Login to disable ads!

Bebop 2 connect skycontroller using GPS

Questions and answers about Bebop, Bebop 2 and the Parrot Skycontroller.
mcberic
Newcomer
Drone Type: Bebop 2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Bebop 2 connect skycontroller using GPS

Post by mcberic » 25 Nov 2018, 16:01

I read that using tghe GPS connection instead of wifi improves flying te drone and increasing the distance.

Need some help. Using Iphone 6s, skycontroller with bebop 2. Firmware 4.7.1, GPS version 3.01F.

I would like to connect the bebop with the skycontroller using te GPS on the bebop and te controller.

waterlanding
Thinking of bearings

Re: Bebop 2 connect skycontroller using GPS

Post by waterlanding » 25 Nov 2018, 23:10

mcberic wrote:
25 Nov 2018, 16:01
I read that using tghe GPS connection instead of wifi improves flying te drone and increasing the distance.

Need some help. Using Iphone 6s, skycontroller with bebop 2. Firmware 4.7.1, GPS version 3.01F.

I would like to connect the bebop with the skycontroller using te GPS on the bebop and te controller.
The wifi is used transfer data and images. GPS is only for positioning. It's receive-only (you can't broadcast on those frequencies!) and comes from government satellites. Both your drone and SkyController use their GPS's for positioning.

mcberic
Newcomer

Post by mcberic » 03 Dec 2018, 15:19

Thanx Waterlanding.

This is the video i watched
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MxQpLkzfeY&t=353s

waterlanding
Thinking of bearings

Post by waterlanding » 03 Dec 2018, 22:59

mcberic wrote:
03 Dec 2018, 15:19
Thanx Waterlanding.

This is the video i watched
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MxQpLkzfeY&t=353s
I think you're misinterpreting what he was saying in the video. The phone wifi was off because he was using his SkyController for the wifi connection (that's the only correct way to connect). He also pointed out that you have to wait for a GPS lock to fly or your drone may fly away. GPS has nothing to do with range or direct control.

Gadbadger
Newcomer

Post by Gadbadger » 18 Jun 2019, 22:18

I'm new here, and am interested but still puzzled. I understand that it's the Sky controller's WiFi that makes the connection with the drone, which is why the smartphone's WiFi is off. But what about the GPS? Does the Sky controller have GPS? If so, should the smartphone's GPS be switched off? Thanks for your answers, in advance.

Thrasherg
Ready for take off

Post by Thrasherg » 19 Jun 2019, 18:25

The smart controllers do have built in GPS, but as GPS just receives satellite signals, it does not transmit back, so there is no issue having the GPS enabled on your phone and the controller GPS on (one will not interfere with the other), not sure how you actually turn GPS off on a phone!! :D

As stated the Controller establishes a Wifi link to the drone (you get the longer distance as the smart controller has a larger antenna and is putting out more power on the Wifi channels than your phone) and you then link your phone to the controller with a USB lead so all communication with the phone and controller is via the USB lead, no radio signals to interfere with the drone!!

Hope that helps.

Gary
Parrot Bebop 2’s, Airborne Night, Mambo FPV, and a few cheap drones!

Gadbadger
Newcomer

Post by Gadbadger » 24 Jun 2019, 21:27

Thanks! I've been turning everything off (WiFi, GPS (by turning off the localisation) and Data) on my phone, and it seems to be working fine.
I've complained to Parrot about my Sky controller 2P not charging properly, and the battery not being available separately, and they've said I can change it.

Breauxlolly
Newcomer

Post by Breauxlolly » 30 Jun 2019, 23:00

Need help to put these back I cannot rember. I installed the mod off eBay the controller an drone. Everything seems to be working but gps on my controller. I would like to test the signal some way to see if it increases. Aswell can anyone tell where to connect the wires for switch on the controller mod. I have power edition witch is differnt inside alittle. It’s nkt the same as the directions that it came with. I want to be able to turn off the booster when just connecting messing with settings ect. To conserve battery.
image.jpg
image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.