Login to disable ads!

Skycontroller update

Questions and answers about Bebop, Bebop 2 and the Parrot Skycontroller.
rickiwada
Newcomer
Drone Type: Bebop
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Skycontroller update

Post by rickiwada » 14 Nov 2018, 16:40

Hello everyone, my name is Riccardo and i've buy my frst drone, a Bebop version 1 with the skycontroller.
When I turned on the drone via app immediately asked me to do the update. All right.
Then, i've update skycontroller.
At the end of the installation I received the message that you see attached.
What can I do? The skycontroller seems to be dead, it does not allow it to perform any operation.
I tried to turn on the bebop too, hopefully enough, but nothing happens.
From the app the skycontroller is disconnected, I can connect it to its wifi network but in the app is disconnected.
Someone would know how to solve?
Thank you
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AR.Tommy
Serious flight time

Re: Skycontroller update

Post by AR.Tommy » 15 Nov 2018, 07:35

Hello and welcome,

it usually should work like this: turn on sky controller (SC) and connect the app to the wifi network of the SC. Now turn on Bebop and open the app. You need to select the wifi of the Bebop from within the app menu.
http://www.digitalsirup.com

Sweet and delicious apps for your drones.

waterlanding
Thinking of bearings
Drone Type: Bebop 2

Post by waterlanding » 17 Nov 2018, 19:45

Is this the big SkyController you're updating, or the smaller one (SkyController2) ?

The big (original) SkyController has to be updated via a USB Thumbdrive. It can't be updated through the app.

Here's a copy of the current firmware (1.7.4) for the SC1 (original SkyController) You can pick it up at http://www.pennekamp.com/nap_update.plf

Click on the link, tell your computer to save the file on a (small - less than 16 gig) thumbdrive formatted as FAT32. DO NOT change the file name or it won't work. It should be the only file on the thumbdrive. Then plug it into the SC1's USB port and turn on the SC1. It will automatically update and restart in about 5 minutes (total).

If you want to watch the process, plug a monitor into the HDMI output of the SC1 before you start. Not necessary, but cool. Do not stop or interfere with the update until it completes and the SC1 restarts. When you're done, connect your phone's wifi to the SC1, open FreeFlight Pro, and it will show you the version number (1.7.4) when you click on the controller icon.

pieterm
Newcomer

Post by pieterm » 09 Dec 2018, 07:13

waterlanding wrote:
17 Nov 2018, 19:45
Is this the big SkyController you're updating, or the smaller one (SkyController2) ?

The big (original) SkyController has to be updated via a USB Thumbdrive. It can't be updated through the app.

Here's a copy of the current firmware (1.7.4) for the SC1 (original SkyController) You can pick it up at http://www.pennekamp.com/nap_update.plf

Click on the link, tell your computer to save the file on a (small - less than 16 gig) thumbdrive formatted as FAT32. DO NOT change the file name or it won't work. It should be the only file on the thumbdrive. Then plug it into the SC1's USB port and turn on the SC1. It will automatically update and restart in about 5 minutes (total).

If you want to watch the process, plug a monitor into the HDMI output of the SC1 before you start. Not necessary, but cool. Do not stop or interfere with the update until it completes and the SC1 restarts. When you're done, connect your phone's wifi to the SC1, open FreeFlight Pro, and it will show you the version number (1.7.4) when you click on the controller icon.
Was bought a Beebop two years ago ... it flew it's own path never to be seen again, but Parrot were good enough to replace free of charge. Been too nervous to use since. Total flying hours = 2 LOL. Anyway, decided to bite the bullet and give it another try but so much changed meantime and needed upgrading. The skycontroller was particularly awkward as the app kept saying an update was necessary but be #$%^ if I could find the correct one! To cut the long story short, found your post whilst trying to find the file and the double bonus was finding this forum. Thanks Waterlanding. Your post was easy to follow and the link to the correct file the icing on the cake. All updated and working now ... thanks again :)

Alex0409
Battery Charged

Post by Alex0409 » 22 Dec 2018, 01:31

Hi Riccardo,

could you fix your problem with the Sky Controller?

I'm having the same issue.
Updated the Sky Controller (SC1) from 1.6.6 to the latest version provided on the parrot website (whatever version that is???, they don't show a number) and now its showing the same screen you posted.
"Connect your Sky Controller with your Parrot Drone".

There is no Sky Controller Wifi and I cannot connect anymore.
Looks like the Skycontroller is just dead after the firmware update.

The controller doesn't take any other firmware anymore, already tried the one from this forum 1.7.4. Also doesn't update anymore.

Has anybody any idea what to do?
Parrot support is useless. Not worth to talk to them.
They told me to reset the controller by holding the power button for 30 seconds !?!? :-) :-)
Not sure if that guy ever had a sky controller in hands :-)

Thanks in advance for your help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Clive_fox
Ready for take off

Post by Clive_fox » 23 Dec 2018, 07:38

I am having similar problems but without the that message on my monitor. I can connect and control my Bebop 2 with my Samsung Tab A tablet but cannot connect to the Skycontroller even though it is showing in the WiFi connections.

I downloaded and tried to install the 1.7.4 FW but it did not display on the monitor so not sure how much of it is installed(!) but FreeFlight Pro shows that it is version 1.7.4 . Went to Parrot US site and downloaded their FW which is about 27.6MB. But neither version displays it updating on the monitor, using HDMI, when doing the install.

Is there a way to reset the Skycontroller.

ivies_
Newcomer

Post by ivies_ » 23 Dec 2018, 12:47

Same problem here,
After updating my skycontroller only a black screen with "Connect your SkyController with your Parrot Drone" message appears.
I can't avoid that screen so I can't connect it via Wifi.
I tried connecting with an USB but nothing happens.
I also tried a hard reset holding REC and TAKOFF buttons as I saw in a forum but it does nothing.
Hope someone can help.

Alex0409
Battery Charged

Post by Alex0409 » 23 Dec 2018, 17:18

Hello@all,

good thing there are several people having the same issue, so it's not a unique thing.

The size of the firmware is a good question:

The one here in this forum has a size of roud about 160MB.
The one on parrot page is 27MB.
Why is it like this?

I checked the parrot page and they provide different files from their different "language pages".
German: nap_update_1.plf
US: nap_update_2.plf
French: nap_update_3.plf
Global: nap_update_4.plf

When I updated the firmware I took the US file as I bought my skycontroller in the US.
Neither page tells you what firmware version it is. So I'm not sure if the file is even the latest one nor do I know if the file on their page is meant to be for the skyconteoller 1!??!
When I did the update I had to rename the file to nap_update.plf as it didn't take it with any number like the original files downloaded.

I had my controller connected to a TV and I saw the update progress bars. So i assume the update process itself went OK but after it was done and rebooted I got that funny message "connect your skycontroller to your parrot drone".
Like I said earlier there is no WIFI nor is there any other way to connect to the controller.

Parrot support sent me some useless input.
(see attached pics)

I'm still in contact with them and asked how to hard reset the controller and how to go back to the old firmware.
Waiting on feedback. I will post the answer here in this forum.

Is ther anybody who had the same issue and could fix it?
Any input is highly appreciated.

Thanks.

Alex0409
Battery Charged

Post by Alex0409 » 24 Dec 2018, 22:33

Short update, just received an answer from PARROT.
Looks like they are not really qualified.

Now that guy is telling me the sky controller firmware is downloaded by the app.
What an i.....

(see attached)

I wrote them another nice email :-) (see attached)
Let's wait for their answer.

navgamma
Newcomer

Post by navgamma » 02 Jan 2019, 10:45

Ok noticed someone mentioned two different file sizes.
http://www.pennekamp.com/nap_update.plf and the 27mb file.

I used the 27mb file and it ended up the issue, no wifi and "connect your controller with blabla"

So I downloaded the 100+mb file, loaded it onto the thumbdrive.
Plugged into SC1 and waited. Although the message re-appeared "connect your controller..." , 15 seconds later it started picking up the file and started the update again.
Now its fine.

Just wait until everything is done and you have the UI screen with the advertisement that looks like it was filmed in 1965. :lol:

So regardless the way the screen looks, you can try push in another file and see if that works out, but key thing is to wait awhile. If still nothing, check your thumbdrive, reformat it again or re-download. Make sure its FAT or FAT32, I used FAT32.

Happy New Year Parroteers!

Frostbite
Newcomer

Post by Frostbite » 04 Jan 2019, 02:48

waterlanding wrote:
17 Nov 2018, 19:45

I registered an account just to say thanks for this post. Very helpful! I'm now at v1.7.4 with your file/directions.

I can no longer locate the Skycontroller 1 on Parrot's website. Not a firmware download nor support page at all.

Alex0409
Battery Charged

Post by Alex0409 » 04 Jan 2019, 14:16

Hello NAVGAMMA,

thanks for your input but unfortunately this also doesn't work for my SKYCONTROLLER.
I tried at least 10 different usb drives (1GB, 2GB, 4GB, 8GB) formated each in FAT32 and also tried each formatted in FAT.
I don't believe that the formatting is the problem for my SKYCONTROLLER as it took the first update I flashed on the controller from the PARROT webpage.

After the message "connect your controller..." appeared I waited and waited and waited. It doesn't pick another update anymore.
I tried now at least 50 times with different flash drives, formats, different files from PARROT and also this forum .................. but my skycontroller doesn't work anymore.

Today I got a new answer form PARROT (see attached). Didn't expect them to answer anymore after my nice email to them :-)
Not sure, but maybe they want to replace my skycontroller.

I'm still just wondering why PARROT has this small file on there webpage and we have a 150MB file in this forum.
Does anyone know where the file comes from?

Alex0409
Battery Charged

Post by Alex0409 » 04 Jan 2019, 14:18

@FROSTBITE,

PARROT is providing the 27.7MB file here:
https://www.parrot.com/us/support/produ ... controller

waterlanding
Thinking of bearings

Post by waterlanding » 04 Jan 2019, 16:47

Alex0409 wrote:
04 Jan 2019, 14:18
@FROSTBITE,

PARROT is providing the 27.7MB file here:
https://www.parrot.com/us/support/produ ... controller
That's the file that's messing up everybody's SkyController! Parrot put the wrong file online.

The original release of ver 1.7.4 from Parrot is 157 meg and available at: http://www.pennekamp.com/nap_update.plf. That's the file you need to update the SC1 to 1.7.4.

Clive_fox
Ready for take off

Post by Clive_fox » 05 Jan 2019, 10:05

I initially had issues connecting but did not have that message. In my case FFPro was reporting that the Skycontroller was not being recognized by the app – see pic. I also thought that it was not responding/working as none of the inputs appeared to work and could not get the Bebop 2 to start. Although the Bebop 2 responded to the App screen inputs.

I now believe the issue was with me as I was trying to get Bebop 2 to start/respond by only using the sticks on the Skycontroller. I eventually figured out that I needed to press the Take off/ Landing button on the Skycontroller, my excuse being old age(!). Secondly my concern with the Skycontroller not being recognized, even though working OK, was confusing me as it was correctly reporting the FW version and correct battery status in FFPro but confusingly showing a red triangle with an exclamation mark – see pics. I eventually discovered that doing a calibration triggers the recognition of the Skycontroller and all seems OK now.