FPV Screen Burn WARNING!

Questions and answers about Bebop, Bebop 2 and the Parrot Skycontroller.
vrjunkie
Ready for take off
Drone Type: Bebop 2
Has thanked: 0

FPV Screen Burn WARNING!

Post by vrjunkie » 12 Jul 2018, 20:53

Fellow FPVers,

I don't know if this has been addressed here before but I wanted to warn my fellow FPV junkies that they can PERMANENTLY damage their phones screens while your phone is in a set of FPV goggles.

Recently I went to a park and had great sunny weather and it was arround noon with the sun overhead. I had a great day flying FPV and went through 2 batteries without any issues - or so I thought...

Upon looking at my phone a couple days later I saw what I thought was some debris on my screen and attempted to wipe it off - it would not. Then I thought, oh no, I must have scratched my screen - but I felt it and there were no actual scratches.

Upon using a strong magnifying glass I discovered that the screen has damage below the top surface of the glass... It appears to be some kind of internal coating to fight internal reflections or something. There is a closely set series of dots concentrated under where the left and right oculars were over the glasses. At least one of them is in a kinda continuous curve or "V" shape - this denotes this happened fast - VERY FAST!!! This did not happen in minutes it was seconds or possibly portions of a second to happen.

All the pixels work under these markings - the effect is that the screen is brighter under these spots. Fortunately this was on my secondary phone that I use strictly for VR and FPV (older Galaxy 6 edge) and not my current Galaxy 8+.

Let this be a warning to NEVER no matter how BRIEFLY let the sun shine into the optics of a FPV headset while your phone is in your goggles.

Pictures attached for inspection of results of not heeding this warning!

Cheers,

VRJUNKIE
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.