Login to disable ads!

What phones work for Follow-me at speed?

Questions and answers about Bebop, Bebop 2 and the Parrot Skycontroller.
Quadbod
Newcomer
Drone Type: Bebop 2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

What phones work for Follow-me at speed?

Post by Quadbod » 27 Feb 2021, 16:33

Hello everyone, another newbie here.

I'd be interested to know what phones work for you when using auto-follow/visual tracking at speed (eg up to 30mph), with just the phone, ie not linked to the Skycontroller 2.

I'm into powerkiting, and got a Bebop 2 to follow me & film others. I've done a dozen or so flights, all F/w is up-to-date and it all seems to work. So far so good.

However, when using tracking at higher speeds (with the mobile in my pocket) I'm finding the app frequently loses the subject, and I think it may be the phone not being up the job: it's a Huawei P8 Lite, Android 7.0, with Kirin 620 28nm chipset, Octacore 1.2 GHz Cortex-A53 CPU, Mali-450MP4 GPU, and has 802.11 b/g/n wifi.

Is not having 802.11 ac Wifi part of the problem?

Before buying a different phone (assuming that is the problem), I'd appreciate hearing what works for you, or any comments or suggestions you may have on the subject.

It won't necessarily have to handle rapid changes in direction or speed, but it will need to be reliable.

Also, could the phone be used with out a SIM? Maps could be preloaded at home, and doesn't the phone GPS & WiFi work independent of a phone network?

Thanks,