Login to disable ads!

Bebop 2 - Loosing Connection

Questions and answers about Bebop, Bebop 2 and the Parrot Skycontroller.
thomasvm
Newcomer
Drone Type: Bebop 2
Been thanked: 0

Bebop 2 - Loosing Connection

Post by thomasvm » 01 May 2019, 14:07

I bought a second hand Parrot Bebop 2 drone last week and have since flown 15+ times - finding the boundaries of the drone. I live in a rural setting.

I lost connectivity to the drone three times so far - all when the Bebop was 500m+ away. My settings are 2.4hz and channel 6 as recommended and I had a clear view to the drone in all occasions. Twice the drone returned automatically home (great feature) and once it just stopped and was hovering at a height until I managed to reconnect to it again.

Is this typical? Is there something I can / should do to avoid the chance of loosing my new toy?

Cheers, Thomas

waterlanding
Thinking of bearings

Re: Bebop 2 - Loosing Connection

Post by waterlanding » 03 May 2019, 12:58

thomasvm wrote:
01 May 2019, 14:07
I bought a second hand Parrot Bebop 2 drone last week and have since flown 15+ times - finding the boundaries of the drone. I live in a rural setting.

I lost connectivity to the drone three times so far - all when the Bebop was 500m+ away. My settings are 2.4hz and channel 6 as recommended and I had a clear view to the drone in all occasions. Twice the drone returned automatically home (great feature) and once it just stopped and was hovering at a height until I managed to reconnect to it again.

Is this typical? Is there something I can / should do to avoid the chance of loosing my new toy?

Cheers, Thomas
You didn't mention whether you're using a SkyController or not. 500 meters is exceptional with just a phone/tablet. Assuming you're using a SC, 500 meters it isn't that bad in a neighborhood with wifi sources interfering with your signal. You'll need to be away from all sources of interference to achieve the max (approx. 1000m) range.

I never use channel 6. It's the most commonly used device wifi channel in the world for home devices. That means more interference and a shorter range. Channel 1 and 11 can be just as bad. Pick a channel between common channels. My drone is fixed on 2.4 gig channel 3, and that alone doubles the range in my neighborhood.

Flying manually, the drone should always RTH on loss-of-signal. Not returning to home may be a problem. Are you sure you had a good GPS lock before takeoff (green icon on flight screen)? No GPS, no RTH.

The best tip I can give you to keep from loosing your drone is something so simple that many people completely overlook it. Put your contact information on it. "If found, please call/text XXX-XXX-XXXX" goes a long way to getting a lost drone back. :)

Happy Flying!

thomasvm
Newcomer
Been thanked: 0

Post by thomasvm » 07 May 2019, 11:14

Thank you for your response Waterlanding.

I do use SC. Over the weekend I flew to a max distance of 1300m at an elevation of c. 80m. At that distance I did lose connection to the drone and got it back in connection while it was RTH, again must be said that RTH is a brilliant feature. I did upload the flight details to Flight Data Manager - and it seems that the drone lost connection to the satellites for a few seconds - could this have caused the lost connection between the SC and drone for c. 10 seconds?

I might change the WIFI channel to test if it will improve the issue. I am in a rural setting, so the interference from other sources should not really be an issue.

I must get some of those name stickers - great idea!

waterlanding
Thinking of bearings

Post by waterlanding » 09 May 2019, 12:55

thomasvm wrote:
07 May 2019, 11:14
Thank you for your response Waterlanding.

I do use SC. Over the weekend I flew to a max distance of 1300m at an elevation of c. 80m. At that distance I did lose connection to the drone and got it back in connection while it was RTH, again must be said that RTH is a brilliant feature. I did upload the flight details to Flight Data Manager - and it seems that the drone lost connection to the satellites for a few seconds - could this have caused the lost connection between the SC and drone for c. 10 seconds?
Loosing your GPS satellite connection - for even a few seconds - might account for your failure to RTH on that one earlier flight. It might have been a quirk, caused by charged particles hitting the atmosphere (a high Kp day), or it might be a bad connection. Keep an eye on that. Be sure you have a good GPS signal before launching!