Login to disable ads!

Bebop 1 with Skycontroller 2?

Questions and answers about Bebop, Bebop 2 and the Parrot Skycontroller.
jbrandon2
Newcomer
Drone Type: Bebop 2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Bebop 1 with Skycontroller 2?

Post by jbrandon2 » 06 Feb 2019, 02:50

Any hints/tips on pairing and flying this combination - Bebop 1 with Skycontroller 2? I tried by powering up the Bebop 1, then the Skycontroller 2 but the Skycontroller 2 never pairs (just keeps blinking red). I have a Bebop 2 and the pairs and flies perfectly with this Skycontroller 2. I noticed one strange thing but I'm not sure what it means. I can 'see' the Bebop 1 on my iPhone Wifi list, but the only way I see the Skycontroller 2 in the iPhone wifi list is if the Bebop 2 is powered on and paired with the Skycontroller 2. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

waterlanding
Thinking of bearings

Re: Bebop 1 with Skycontroller 2?

Post by waterlanding » 06 Feb 2019, 20:49

jbrandon2 wrote:
06 Feb 2019, 02:50
Any hints/tips on pairing and flying this combination - Bebop 1 with Skycontroller 2? I tried by powering up the Bebop 1, then the Skycontroller 2 but the Skycontroller 2 never pairs (just keeps blinking red). I have a Bebop 2 and the pairs and flies perfectly with this Skycontroller 2. I noticed one strange thing but I'm not sure what it means. I can 'see' the Bebop 1 on my iPhone Wifi list, but the only way I see the Skycontroller 2 in the iPhone wifi list is if the Bebop 2 is powered on and paired with the Skycontroller 2. Any help appreciated. Thanks.
A Bebop 1 will work fine with the SC2. From reading your post, this is what I think you missed. When using a SC2, always TURN OFF YOUR PHONE's WIFI. An SC2 doesn't connect the same way an SC1 does.

Turn off your phone's wifi and plug it into the SC2 via a USB cable. Then turn on the drone, turn on the SC2. FreeFlight Pro should open automatically in a few seconds. Click on the "Connect" button in FFPro (NOT your phone's wifi!), which will bring up a list of wifi devices. Find your drone on that list (again, the list in FFPro, NOT your phone wifi), and hit connect.

jbrandon2
Newcomer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by jbrandon2 » 07 Feb 2019, 15:20

Thank you very much. Worked perfectly using your instructions.

(BTW, I know not to use WIFI on my phone (and turn Bluetooth off and DND on). I was just saying about WIFI to mention that anomaly of not seeing the Skycontroller 2 in the 'Choose a Network' list unless I have the Bebop 2 on. I guess it doesn't matter since I would never use it but makes me wonder (as a former IT Infrastructure guy) what's going on).

Thanks again.

waterlanding
Thinking of bearings

Post by waterlanding » 07 Feb 2019, 23:45

jbrandon2 wrote:
07 Feb 2019, 15:20
Thank you very much. Worked perfectly using your instructions.

(BTW, I know not to use WIFI on my phone (and turn Bluetooth off and DND on). I was just saying about WIFI to mention that anomaly of not seeing the Skycontroller 2 in the 'Choose a Network' list unless I have the Bebop 2 on. I guess it doesn't matter since I would never use it but makes me wonder (as a former IT Infrastructure guy) what's going on).

Thanks again.
Glad you got it working! :)

Your phone can acquire a wifi connection faster than the SkyController. Meanwhile, the drone can only talk to one device at a time. With the phone wifi on it will grab the drone before the SC2 does. You end up with very low range (using phone's wifi and not the amplified SC wifi). Since the SC2 is still transmitting and trying to connect to the drone, frequent disconnects and loss of control are the usual result.