Login to disable ads!

Skycontroller 1 - SC1 OS access?

Questions and answers about Bebop, Bebop 2 and the Parrot Skycontroller.
rddube
Newcomer
Drone Type: Bebop 2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Skycontroller 1 - SC1 OS access?

Post by rddube » 05 Feb 2019, 15:19

Good day everyone. About the Skycontroller 1 - SC1 : just discovered something while reading one of the PDF about Bebop hacking for the SC1. If you connect it to an HDMI source and plug in a usb mouse, you can actually control the screen and go into settings and wifi settings. It acts just like an android tablet!! You can also configure the SC1 mapping of each button on the remote. Neat stuff! Has anyone tried this and has found other things than the settings menu?

waterlanding
Thinking of bearings

Re: Skycontroller 1 - SC1 OS access?

Post by waterlanding » 05 Feb 2019, 18:18

rddube wrote:
05 Feb 2019, 15:19
Good day everyone. About the Skycontroller 1 - SC1 : just discovered something while reading one of the PDF about Bebop hacking for the SC1. If you connect it to an HDMI source and plug in a usb mouse, you can actually control the screen and go into settings and wifi settings. It acts just like an android tablet!! You can also configure the SC1 mapping of each button on the remote. Neat stuff! Has anyone tried this and has found other things than the settings menu?
Yes, you have access to the firmware, but be careful. Change the wrong parameter and you'll brick it. As for changing wifi settings and button mapping, why not just use the interfaces for those settings in FreeFlight Pro? There really isn't much else you can tweek on the SC1 anyway.

BTW, you can also access the firmware in your drone via telnet and a USB cable (if you're familiar with Unix). ;)

rddube
Newcomer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by rddube » 05 Feb 2019, 19:51

I was thinking more along the lines that if you have access to its wifi, I wonder if you can connect it to a wifi booster and the booster to the bebop 2 drone, so to use a wifi extender for the SC1?

Or am I just dreaming?

waterlanding
Thinking of bearings

Post by waterlanding » 06 Feb 2019, 02:08

rddube wrote:
05 Feb 2019, 19:51
I was thinking more along the lines that if you have access to its wifi, I wonder if you can connect it to a wifi booster and the booster to the bebop 2 drone, so to use a wifi extender for the SC1?

Or am I just dreaming?
You don't need to modify the firmware to use a wifi extender. Pair your extender with the drone and connect the SC1's wifi to it in FreeFlight Pro. It won't help your range though. The SkyController is itself a wifi amplifier, optimized for the drone. That's the whole point of it! Your SC1 also uses MIMO wifi technology (multiple directional antennas), which makes it much more efficient than any simple wifi extender.

There are several hardware booster kits available that simply plug into the SC1's antenna port and antenna's. Those can help, particularly in high-interference areas.