Login to disable ads!

Follow me question

Questions and answers about Bebop, Bebop 2 and the Parrot Skycontroller.
larry31
Just flips over
Drone Type: Bebop 2
Has thanked: 0

Follow me question

Post by larry31 » 03 Feb 2019, 21:05

I'm trying to get the follow me to work on my Galaxy tablet. I got it to follow me "somewhat"?

I placed the box on me, and proceeded to try and get it to follow me. The Bebop-2 will just stay in place, and if I walk around, or move off to side, it will keep centering on me, but will not follow if I move away from the drone.

I don't really know if I'm missing something in the setup. The manual is of no help, as it's images are completely different from what I see on my screen. ( I suppose Parrot has changed the screens, but not updated the images in the online manual.)

I have wifi turned on, airplane mode off. I really don't know just what I'm supposed to do after forming the box on me. Screens in manual are different, and I can't find any videos showing my newer screen layout.

Can someone list the exact sequence of things to do, to get it to follow me if I move away from it? ( Hopefully showing screen images with current screen layout, not the old screen images.)

Here's a short video showing how it will keep looking at me, but not follow me if I walk away.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ifM67O6TIk

waterlanding
Thinking of bearings

Re: Follow me question

Post by waterlanding » 03 Feb 2019, 23:54

larry31 wrote:
03 Feb 2019, 21:05
I'm trying to get the follow me to work on my Galaxy tablet. I got it to follow me "somewhat"?

I placed the box on me, and proceeded to try and get it to follow me. The Bebop-2 will just stay in place, and if I walk around, or move off to side, it will keep centering on me, but will not follow if I move away from the drone.

I don't really know if I'm missing something in the setup. The manual is of no help, as it's images are completely different from what I see on my screen. ( I suppose Parrot has changed the screens, but not updated the images in the online manual.)

I have wifi turned on, airplane mode off. I really don't know just what I'm supposed to do after forming the box on me. Screens in manual are different, and I can't find any videos showing my newer screen layout.

Can someone list the exact sequence of things to do, to get it to follow me if I move away from it? ( Hopefully showing screen images with current screen layout, not the old screen images.)

Here's a short video showing how it will keep looking at me, but not follow me if I walk away.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ifM67O6TIk
What you missed is that "Follow Me" is not designed for, and will not work on any tablet. It's made to work with phones only.

larry31
Just flips over

Post by larry31 » 04 Feb 2019, 02:57

Thank you Waterlanding. you just answered in one short, comment, what Parrot support has failed to answer in several e-mails. I've explained this attempt to them several times, and all I got back is a bunch of off-the-wall answers. I kept telling them I'm using a tablet, and they never, ever said it would not work with a tablet.

I do find it interesting that, while using a tablet, the Bebop will keep me in the video, but not actually follow me along.

larry31
Just flips over

Post by larry31 » 04 Feb 2019, 17:01

Any ideas on why it keeps me in center of screen, as I walk around it, but will not follow/track along, if I walk away?

waterlanding
Thinking of bearings

Post by waterlanding » 04 Feb 2019, 18:09

larry31 wrote:
04 Feb 2019, 17:01
Any ideas on why it keeps me in center of screen, as I walk around it, but will not follow/track along, if I walk away?
Sure, that's "Cameraman" mode. The part of Follow Me that visually tracks you. That works fine with a tablet. Unfortunately it won't Follow your GPS automatically. You need a phone for that.

Look at it this way. Follow Me is basically for sports. Starting the program and then jumping on a Jetski, surfboard, or Motorbike isn't exactly practical with a tablet (or SkyController) in your hand. You start the program, put the phone in your pocket (Follow Me has a screen lock so buttons don't get pushed) and hop on your ski's and go! That's why it was designed to work with phone's only.

scott511
Ready for take off

Post by scott511 » 05 Feb 2019, 00:59

Very good explanation Waterlanding.
I didn't know that.
I briefly played around with track me the other day.
Same thing was happening to me. It would only rotate around. I had chalked it up to "I didn't know what the heck I was doing"
I was using a tablet so I'm glad I know now.

larry31
Just flips over

Post by larry31 » 05 Feb 2019, 04:59

My God! Why is it I can get more answers from this forum, than a large company, their "outdated" manual, and dense service techs?

Many thanks Waterlanding!

lsdlsd88
Newcomer
Been thanked: 0

Post by lsdlsd88 » 06 Feb 2019, 14:07

larry31 wrote:
05 Feb 2019, 04:59
My God! Why is it I can get more answers from this forum, than a large company, their "outdated" manual, and dense service techs?

Many thanks Waterlanding!
because they are basically discontinuing everything bebop related including the support knowledge..

sergey
Newcomer

Post by sergey » 19 Mar 2019, 23:01

larry31 wrote:
04 Feb 2019, 02:57
Thank you Waterlanding. you just answered in one short, comment, what Parrot support has failed to answer in several e-mails. I've explained this attempt to them several times, and all I got back is a bunch of off-the-wall answers. I kept telling them I'm using a tablet, and they never, ever said it would not work with a tablet.

I do find it interesting that, while using a tablet, the Bebop will keep me in the video, but not actually follow me along.
"Follow me" follows not your image but GPS coordinates from your device. Do you have GPS on your tablet?

waterlanding
Thinking of bearings

Post by waterlanding » 20 Mar 2019, 19:01

sergey wrote:
19 Mar 2019, 23:01
larry31 wrote:
04 Feb 2019, 02:57

"Follow me" follows not your image but GPS coordinates from your device. Do you have GPS on your tablet?
Sorry, but that's wrong. Follow me uses GPS (and your phone's barometer) to follow your phone. It only uses optical recognition to keep the camera pointed at the subject. And the most important point you missed - Follow Me does NOT work with Tablets, only phones.