Login to disable ads!

Skycontroller 2 Issues

Questions and answers about Bebop, Bebop 2 and the Parrot Skycontroller.
FlyboyJack
Newcomer
Drone Type: Bebop 2
Been thanked: 0

Skycontroller 2 Issues

Post by FlyboyJack » 02 Feb 2019, 05:57

Hello, I’m new here and this is my issue. I purchased a BeBop2 FPV package back in 3/2018. Flew great but had issues with the battery in the skycontroller2. The skycontroller2 was the one with the silver sticks and square battery 12V 2700mAh). Issues were battery would not charge completely. The green light would come on at around 1 hour 20 minutes but the battery would only charge to 70 percent. If I unplugged the skycontroller2 for 5 minutes and plugged it back in it would charge fully. (another 30 Minutes). At 5 months and 3 weeks the skycontroller2 decided not to connect to Bebop2 anymore. I could see and connect with the phone and tablet but no connection with controller. I tried everything anyone suggested but finally took it back where I got it and they were nice enough exchange for another. (Imagine that!)

The replacement has the skycontroller2P with the round battery (3.7V 2500mAh) and black sticks. The issues are the same with the skycontroller2P except for one thing. The initial charge time to get to 70 percent is 3 hours. Unplug for 5 minutes and plug back in and it will charge to 100 percent. (another 3 hours). This has been consistent for the 11 hours of flight time using this controller. The nice thing is I think the controller is better than the original for two reasons. One – the controller seems to have a stronger connection than the original controller and two – I get more flights per charge than with the original controller. My remedy with the issues is to charge the controller the day before I want to fly. My gripe is, why does it take 6 hours to charge the battery fully, and why am I not hearing about this issue anywhere else. I can’t be the only one seeing this. I use a Samsung Tab A8 for visual flight and for FPV I use a Motorola Droid Turbo 2 both running Android 7. No issues with any of the hardware. I refuse to update any software or firmware because everything else works like it should.

Apolonio
Ready for take off
Has thanked: 0

Re: Skycontroller 2 Issues

Post by Apolonio » 03 Feb 2019, 05:33

Hello,

I had the same battery charging issue as you are with the Power SC2P cylinder Battery controller, it took forever to charge but like you I see this controller having much better performance. That’s due to it having two large antennas, auctually has 100% more antenna surface than the other controllers.

Recently, I replaced the cylinder battery with two 1S 3000 mAh Lipo batteries, they are arranged parallel. Someone out there makes a battery harness to modify the SC2P controller to use a set of 1S 3.7 volt Lipo batteries, I made my own. This greatly enhances you flight time with controller, I’ll try and post a picture of the mod.

Good luck,
E6F9C438-F9DD-4B88-8299-BE99E88EB6B7.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

FlyboyJack
Newcomer
Been thanked: 0

Post by FlyboyJack » 06 Feb 2019, 14:02

Hello Apolonio, thanks for your response, it’s appreciated! The mod brings me to ask a few more questions. What is that circuit board on top of the original battery for? I assume it has something to do with the charge circuit, possibly battery charge or temperature monitoring. Did you include that circuit board with your mod and do you still charge the SC2P with the Bebop2 charger, or a third party charger?

I am also leery of updating the FFP software, my tablet OS from android 7 to 9, the firmware for SC2P which there are updates for all, for fear something won’t work anymore. It would be nice if Parrot would explain what and why they update. Their reason “performance enhancements” just doesn’t really cut it with me. I’d like specifics which I know I’m not going to get.

Apolonio
Ready for take off
Has thanked: 0

Post by Apolonio » 07 Feb 2019, 08:48

Hello Flyboy,

From what I’ve gattrted, the miniature circuit board on the SC2P cylinder battery protects the Controller circuit board.

But it really doesn’t need it, you can connect 1S 18650 3.7 volt Lipo batteries directly. But mount two parallel, same voltage but will last longer between charges. It’s insane how much longer this setup last longer over the one battery setup.

I charge these separately away from the controller, fortunately my 8-pack Lipo batteries came with two chargers each charger charges a set of two batteries.

I’ve always updated every update Parrot puts out, but I’m using an iPhone not android. Good luck, keep us posted.

Paul