Login to disable ads!

Follow me and Cameraman mode questions

Questions and answers about Bebop, Bebop 2 and the Parrot Skycontroller.
Gamedex
Battery Charged
Drone Type: Bebop
Been thanked: 0

Follow me and Cameraman mode questions

Post by Gamedex » 07 Apr 2019, 08:20

I am using a Bebop 2 power with firmware version 4.7.1, an android pie phone (not a tablet) on a skycontroller 2P. My question is about the cameraman and follow me feature.

First on cameraman mode. I have seen videos in which when cameraman is activated, it lets your frame yourself, and will stay locked in its altitude, but will turn to keep you in the middle of the shot should you move. This didn't work for me. I was able to frame my self on cameraman mode, but I moved, it didn't turn and I eventually moved out of the shot, Bebop 2 didn't turn. It also did not turn for other subjects I framed ( a girl running across the soccer field ). Any thoughts?

Second is about follow me. Follow me worked OK. I was the subject on the frame. My question is, will it follow another subject? Lets say, that girl again running across the soccer field?

Your answers are much appreciated.

Thank you.

larry31
Just flips over
Drone Type: Bebop 2
Has thanked: 0

Re: Follow me and Cameraman mode questions

Post by larry31 » 07 Apr 2019, 12:23

I don't use a smart phone, so I can't do a follow me, but with my Galaxy tablet, I can keep me in frame using Camera Man mode.
Here's a couple of videos, using Camera Man, showing me in frame. I actually walk around drone, and it rotates, keeping me in frame.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6BZp8EQjbQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8gA4p3wsxw

waterlanding
Thinking of bearings

Post by waterlanding » 07 Apr 2019, 18:29

Gamedex wrote:
07 Apr 2019, 08:20
I am using a Bebop 2 power with firmware version 4.7.1, an android pie phone (not a tablet) on a skycontroller 2P. My question is about the cameraman and follow me feature.

First on cameraman mode. I have seen videos in which when cameraman is activated, it lets your frame yourself, and will stay locked in its altitude, but will turn to keep you in the middle of the shot should you move. This didn't work for me. I was able to frame my self on cameraman mode, but I moved, it didn't turn and I eventually moved out of the shot, Bebop 2 didn't turn. It also did not turn for other subjects I framed ( a girl running across the soccer field ). Any thoughts?

Second is about follow me. Follow me worked OK. I was the subject on the frame. My question is, will it follow another subject? Lets say, that girl again running across the soccer field?

Your answers are much appreciated.

Thank you.
1) Make sure the box around you in Cameraman mode is green. Cameraman uses optical recognition, so once it locks on to a subject it will center it in-frame.

2) Follow me follows the GPS in your phone. The only way to get it to follow that girl is to give her your phone... ;)

Gamedex
Battery Charged

Post by Gamedex » 08 Apr 2019, 01:53

I have to make her my wife first before I give her my phone. Lol

Thanks waterlanding, I was thinking the same thing about my follow me question. Just needed a second opinion.

As for the cameraman question, yeah I got myself framed. Solid green line around me, not the running dash line one. But yeah, it does not rotate on me when I move. I'll try again though.

Thanks for the inputs thus far.

Gamedex
Battery Charged

Post by Gamedex » 08 Apr 2019, 01:56

Thank you too larry31. Watched the vids. That was the bebop 2 movement i was expecting when i tried cameraman. Didn't happen though. I'll try again sometime.

Thanks.

Gamedex
Battery Charged

Post by Gamedex » 15 Apr 2019, 09:11

OK, so I have tried again. Still the same issue. I am using the latest Free Flight Pro, ver 5.2.4 on an android pie. And drone's firmware is at the latest 4.7.1. It doesn't matter if I am using the skycontroller2p, or just my mobile phone. When I activate cameranman and frame my self, the drone isn't looking at me. When I move, it does not rotate to keep me in the middle of the screen until I am completely out of the frame. Unlike what I have seen so far from YouTube videos of Gadget Inspector, specifically on this link, jump to 3min 4 secs of the video:

https://youtu.be/cidP7XeZHL8

What I have tried so far was I downgraded the drone's firmware version to 4.4.2, and installed an earlier free flight pro version 5.0.1. Same thing. Whether its just the phone, or with skycontroller 2P, its the same problem.

Any thoughts guys? Has anyone encountered the same?

Thanks.

waterlanding
Thinking of bearings

Post by waterlanding » 15 Apr 2019, 12:38

Gamedex wrote:
15 Apr 2019, 09:11
OK, so I have tried again. Still the same issue. I am using the latest Free Flight Pro, ver 5.2.4 on an android pie. And drone's firmware is at the latest 4.7.1. It doesn't matter if I am using the skycontroller2p, or just my mobile phone. When I activate cameranman and frame my self, the drone isn't looking at me. When I move, it does not rotate to keep me in the middle of the screen until I am completely out of the frame. Unlike what I have seen so far from YouTube videos of Gadget Inspector, specifically on this link, jump to 3min 4 secs of the video:

https://youtu.be/cidP7XeZHL8

What I have tried so far was I downgraded the drone's firmware version to 4.4.2, and installed an earlier free flight pro version 5.0.1. Same thing. Whether its just the phone, or with skycontroller 2P, its the same problem.

Any thoughts guys? Has anyone encountered the same?

Thanks.
IMHO it has to be your phone. You haven't told us what phone you're using, except that it's an Android. And you haven't mentioned trying any other devices. Different Android devices have different quirks. Simple test: Try it with a different phone.

RE downgrading: Be Careful to pick a stable version! FFP ver 5.01 was so buggy that it was replaced a week after it came out! I don't think your problem is a bug in the firmware or app. I'd recommend bringing everything up to the current (most stable) versions.

Gamedex
Battery Charged

Post by Gamedex » 15 Apr 2019, 15:45

Thanks again waterlanding. Sorry I didn't mention what my mobile phone is. Its a Huawei Mate 10. Running Android pie. I don't have a second phone yet, but I'll see if I can borrow one.

I have updated the drone and reinstalled the latest version of FFP from playstore. Thanks.

I'll check back if trying a 2nd phone makes any changes

Thank you.

Gamedex
Battery Charged

Post by Gamedex » 16 Apr 2019, 03:00

Lo and behold. Cameraman looked at me for the first time using a cheaper Vivo phone. It is the phone's fault indeed. I wish I knew why and do something about it.

On the other hand, I am about to get a new phone as part of my plan renewal. Its going to be a Samsung Galaxy S10 plus. I know its quite new, but has anyone tried it on bebop 2 with cameraman working? I mean without this kind of issue?

AR.Tommy
Serious flight time

Post by AR.Tommy » 16 Apr 2019, 03:09

While I did not try it, I'm pretty sure the S10 is fully supported.
http://www.digitalsirup.com

Sweet and delicious apps for your drones.