Bebop 2 & Sky Controller No Range?

Questions and answers about Bebop, Bebop 2 and the Parrot Skycontroller.
beninuk
Newcomer
Drone Type: Bebop 2

Bebop 2 & Sky Controller No Range?

Post by beninuk » 05 Jul 2017, 11:44

Hello

We have recently purchased 2x bebop with sky controller and FPV however we are struggling with distance, we have set the max ranges to maximum and also the height to maximum, but we loose video feed at around 150m and can loose connection even closer some times, we have not been over 300m as the signal drops on the wifi to next to nothing.

This is in a rural area with no other wifi networks looking over onto a valley.

We are both running Samsung Galaxy s8 plus with usb c, all updated to the newest firmware, and all of our sky controllers and drones are also updated to the newest firmware.

We are based in spain so i believe we should be able to do around 1.2km however we cannot get even half of this range, is there something we are doing wrong?

When we connect to the drone i disable my WIFI, and plugin the phone direct into the sky controller and this connects to the drone so i believe its using the sky controller for the signal that should give 2km.

any help would be appreciated, this is the 2nd thing we have got from parrot that hasnt worked correctly, i also bought a DISCO but this no longer flys and losses control all the time (doesnt even take off any more)

AR.Tommy
Charged up again
Drone Type: Bebop

Re: Bebop 2 & Sky Controller No Range?

Post by AR.Tommy » 05 Jul 2017, 12:50

Hello and welcome,

can you please double check the network settings? For maximum range I highly recommend using 2.4 GHz over the 5.8 GHz network connection.
http://www.digitalsirup.com

Sweet and delicious apps for your drones.

beninuk
Newcomer

Post by beninuk » 05 Jul 2017, 16:36

Hi tommy

thanks for taking the time to reply, we have it set to 2.4ghz i believe however it doesnt seem to allow us to change it, i did think it could be the 5ghz, but when i checked it was on 2.4

we have just been out about 5 minutes ago to try again this time in a different location with no wifi networks around ect, and we found that if you where

70mtr high and then 150/220 mtr away the drone disconnects and looses signal (also the video feed goes very bad / non responsive)

If you fly at 40mtr you can get to around 290/310 mtr and then the drone disconnects and you loose signal / the video feed and have to wait for the drone to RTH.

Hopefully im doing something wrong as i cant see 2 drones both running the sky controller 2 and latest firmwares to have the same issue.

thanks
Ben

AR.Tommy
Charged up again

Post by AR.Tommy » 06 Jul 2017, 07:41

Okay I have to correct my first answer. In some countries it may be better to select 5 GHz over the 2.4 GHz. Parrot states that (basically) the 5 GHz is send with a higher power (in watt) than the 2.4 GHz So you could try the other one. This is not true for Europe, please see attached screenshot.

What you also should check is that the selected country is set correctly.

While I think automatic channel selection is the best, you should double check this as well. When using a channel at the beginning (1) or at the end (14) the power is limited (and also the range).

Parrot recommends:
Channel 6 for 2G4
Channel 44 for 5G band-1
Channel 157 for 5G band-3

Source and more informations about wifi range: http://blog.parrot.com/2014/11/28/parro ... ange-test/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

beninuk
Newcomer

Post by beninuk » 06 Jul 2017, 13:08

thanks for your reply yeah i was looking at this on parrots site i have managed to change to 2.4ghz and i have also changed to channel 6 so i will give it a test flight, and will report back.

I have to say it is awesome drone and very fun to fly, would interference from other drones also cause this? we also have lots of companies who provide WIMAX internet systems (long range wifi) so i think possibly these could also cause a issue?

AR.Tommy
Charged up again

Post by AR.Tommy » 07 Jul 2017, 09:20

Probably yes.

If they are using the 2.4GHz frequencies it would be worth a try to switch to 5 GHz frequencies.