Moderator: i-Drone

pawelsky
Serious flight time
Drone Type: Bebop
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: GPS Module Pricing & Availability

Post by pawelsky » 23 Jun 2013, 18:16

copymaster wrote:Can anybody tell me if this GPS module from Parrot works with the Mirumod RC?
It works in a sense that it will not interfere with it. It is however not used by the Mod for any navigation - yet :)

i-Drone
Spying is fun

Post by i-Drone » 24 Jun 2013, 01:10

Surely it's only a matter of time?

http://www.i-drone.me" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sales@i-drone.me
http://www.facebook.com/groups/124555427639033" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

gymo
Just flips over

Post by gymo » 24 Jun 2013, 01:34

Kyrt I'm only on my ipad at the moment, but I'm sure I can get them to you shortly. No I'm afraid no Linux

BManCan yes you can fly it with either hull on, most parrot videos are done without a hull to highlight this is a plug in module for the current AR.Drone and not a new one. I was flying without a hull due to the wind, thought id give the AR.Drone some help by reducing surface area

I-Drone it is indeed only a matter of time ;)

Nigel

DroneFreakFPV
Thinking of bearings
Drone Type: AR.Drone 2

Post by DroneFreakFPV » 24 Jun 2013, 03:22

i wonder what accuracy loss occurs when the top hull is on as opposed to off. I know with a car gps if you have the gps off the window and on the seat it is behind a small amount of accuracy. Also, would be neat to see if some sort of loss of wifi RTH is embedded into the software for when the drone is flown out of wifi range. With auto-pair on, I can see this working well as the drone flys back and the transmitter is able to re-bind wifi allowing you to take over flight. Are the maps loaded into the stick itself or is it dependent on the device controlling the drone?
ARD2/MiruMod/Miru GPS/Spektrum DX6I/ HogMod/GoPro Custom Mount/808 #16/ Wi-Fi Less FPV System
Tarot FY450/Turnigy Motors/I86L FC, HK Blue 30a ESCS/R610 Micro DSM 2.4ghz Reciever, GAUI Props

gymo
Just flips over

Post by gymo » 24 Jun 2013, 08:52

DroneFreakFPV Accuracy does not change when the hull is either on or off, its glass, metal carbon fibre and brick that cause issues to gps. (mainly metals and carbon fibre)
RTH on signal was talked about but i still haven't had a calm day to see if it made it into the final build.
Maps are first cached to the app. before you go and fly you need to open the app with an active internet connection, go to preferences and select your desired flying area in the maps setting.

Nigel

Beeworld
Just flips over

Post by Beeworld » 24 Jun 2013, 13:27

Ooh, after reading all this, can't wait to play with one.

I-Drone, thanks for the shipping info - however Aussie dollar has crashed against the pound! I've placed an order with Parrot (Australia) - $120 Aussie bucks, plus shipping, e.t.a 33+ days, as stock has still to be shipped from the EU, for any Aussie out there. Still no mention of the 1500mAh battery though.

Prometheus Xex
Ready for take off

Post by Prometheus Xex » 24 Jun 2013, 16:41

Hmmm... I'm curious.

Am I to understand that you always have to have a WIFI connection once a flight plan is initiated? The reason I'm asking this is what happens if you look WIFI connection? Does it come "home" automatically, or does it still continue on and finish it flight plan? For arguments sake, could I tell it to circumnavigate a water tower and come back "home" even if it looses WIFI connection on the other side of the tower?

Ruyton
Made it over nextdoor

Post by Ruyton » 24 Jun 2013, 16:53

I'm interested in how this works too.

The Parrot website says:

"The AR.Drone starts its flight (operates within the limit of the Wi-Fi connection with the control device)"

So what happens if you select a goto waypoint that is beyond wifi range? Does the drone fly towards this point and then stop when wifi contact is lost - or is it intelligent enough to stop BEFORE wifi contact is lost?

How's the weather Nigel, the world is waiting for more feedback :-)
Gary - Shrewsbury UK

i-Drone
Spying is fun

Post by i-Drone » 24 Jun 2013, 16:53

Look what the postman bought me!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372089481.271014.jpg

sales@i-drone.me
https://www.facebook.com/groups/124555427639033/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ruyton
Made it over nextdoor

Post by Ruyton » 24 Jun 2013, 16:54

Aggghhhh! Really really want one of those, but I think that I've already overspent my 'pocket money' this month!
Gary - Shrewsbury UK

Return2flight
Up and hovering

Post by Return2flight » 24 Jun 2013, 18:00

pawelsky wrote:
Ruyton wrote:Is there an 'aftermarket' GPS type module that can already be used with the AR Drone 2?
pawelsky wrote:You can use virtually any NMEA capable serial GPS with the help of the so called MiruMod. For now it only supports logging but RTH is in the works.
Is there any idea of when the MiruMod version GPS/RTH function will be out? I have no desire to return to wifi mode and using Parrots GPS, already have a GPS unit, so any ideas at all would be appreciated.

R2F

pawelsky
Serious flight time

Post by pawelsky » 24 Jun 2013, 18:21

Return2flight wrote:Is there any idea of when the MiruMod version GPS/RTH function will be out? I have no desire to return to wifi mode and using Parrots GPS, already have a GPS unit, so any ideas at all would be appreciated.
Probably not until the new SDK is released, but I guess it is best to ask Miru himself in the MiruMod thread.

i-Drone
Spying is fun

Post by i-Drone » 24 Jun 2013, 19:40

I wonder if the Miru Mod, could work with this unit. Now that would be really cool!

sales@i-drone.me
https://www.facebook.com/groups/124555427639033/

pawelsky
Serious flight time

Post by pawelsky » 24 Jun 2013, 20:16

i-Drone wrote:I wonder if the Miru Mod, could work with this unit. Now that would be really cool!
Technically speaking don't see much a problem with that. We just need to find out the APIs to enable waypoint navigation (either by sniffing what current apps do or by waiting for the new SDK release).

Kyrt
Strange wobble

Post by Kyrt » 25 Jun 2013, 01:01

I think it makes sense for MiruMod to be able to get GPS location data from the flight recorder (via drone's NAVdata UDP streams) if one is available, and use it to do whatever it normally does with the data (logging for now). As pawelsky says, that can happen when the API docs are updated, or maybe before if someone is motivated to figure out the navstream format beforehand. The other thing I think that MiruMod could incorporate quite easily would be to include the RTH "button" via RC. That will be trivial to implement for people with flight recorders, so long as a good way of triggering it with the Tx is devised.

As for waypoint navigation, AFAIK it is not actually confirmed 100% yet that it is possible with the standard Parrot control mechanism - so far I have only seen it advertised as a "move to this location" control, i.e. if you select a new location during flight, the previous waypoint is cancelled. I would be surprised if Parrot don't support it in their API though, since they support it via MAVLink[1]. However I can't see how this would be useful via RC?? And if the drone cancels the mission when it loses wifi signal then it won't work anyway.

[1] MAVLink is what QGroundControl works. You can use that to do mission planning, but you can't use it together with FreeFlight.