GPS Module Pricing & Availability

Mod shop in UK.

Moderator: i-Drone

Ruyton
Made it over nextdoor
Drone Type: AR.Drone 2

Re: GPS Module Pricing & Availability

Post by Ruyton » 01 Jul 2013, 09:23

A bit of a deafening silence with regard to my questions about the GPS module!

However, I've ordered one anyway from Amazon (Expansys UK) so I'll let you know my thoughts once I've tested it. I went for the free delivery, so it's going to take a few days to arrive.
Gary - Shrewsbury UK

garrock
I've been hit!!

Post by garrock » 01 Jul 2013, 11:15

Kyrt wrote:But I still don't understand how waypoint nav is any use when controlling via RC...
Waypoint Nav is probably is not much use when flying via traditional human piloted RC control. A post flight GPS track might be useful to some to see the flight path overlayed on a map.
DroneMod.com --- Worlds first two-drone system: Repeater-Helper and Camera-Worker drones ! --- http://www.REDbirdRF.com

DroneFreakFPV
Thinking of bearings

Post by DroneFreakFPV » 02 Jul 2013, 05:05

With me being on mirumod, the "mission planning" would not be that important to me. What would be important is GPS assisted stabilization like the DJI Phantom, and a simple RTH function should you lose sight of the drone or lose your orientation. I use my ar more for capturing video and sending it on a mission to fly around a tree then circle my house is not what I am interested in. If Pawelsky and Miru could make those 2 functions (RTH and GPS assisted stability) work with the flight recorder while on RC control and not wifi, it would step up the capabilities of the AR Drone entirely.
ARD2/MiruMod/Miru GPS/Spektrum DX6I/ HogMod/GoPro Custom Mount/808 #16/ Wi-Fi Less FPV System
Tarot FY450/Turnigy Motors/I86L FC, HK Blue 30a ESCS/R610 Micro DSM 2.4ghz Reciever, GAUI Props

Ruyton
Made it over nextdoor

Post by Ruyton » 02 Jul 2013, 19:29

My GPS Module arrived today, Yessss! - but I wasn't in to sign for it so they took it to the local post office, Boooooo!

Got to the post office 5 minutes after it closed, so that's it for today - darn! The only consolation is that it's still too windy to fly outside.
Gary - Shrewsbury UK

Kyrt
Strange wobble

Post by Kyrt » 03 Jul 2013, 01:40

DroneFreakFPV wrote:With me being on mirumod, the "mission planning" would not be that important to me. What would be important is GPS assisted stabilization like the DJI Phantom, and a simple RTH function should you lose sight of the drone or lose your orientation. I use my ar more for capturing video and sending it on a mission to fly around a tree then circle my house is not what I am interested in. If Pawelsky and Miru could make those 2 functions (RTH and GPS assisted stability) work with the flight recorder while on RC control and not wifi, it would step up the capabilities of the AR Drone entirely.
GPS stability you will get anyway, it is part of the parrot firmware. And as we said, RTH is *probably* simple to implement for mirumod but we need to reverse engineer the command(s) from the iDevice used to activate it first. I am interested to do it but need to get my drone back from Parrot first. Then get my fake-flight recorder working... Either that or someone send me a flight recorder ;)

DroneFreakFPV
Thinking of bearings

Post by DroneFreakFPV » 03 Jul 2013, 12:26

Is this going to be something that is available in the US in brick and mortar stores such as brookstone? Or does it need to be ordered online? I understand this will not be available to the US market in general until the end of July 2013?
ARD2/MiruMod/Miru GPS/Spektrum DX6I/ HogMod/GoPro Custom Mount/808 #16/ Wi-Fi Less FPV System
Tarot FY450/Turnigy Motors/I86L FC, HK Blue 30a ESCS/R610 Micro DSM 2.4ghz Reciever, GAUI Props

Ruyton
Made it over nextdoor

Post by Ruyton » 03 Jul 2013, 12:33

I've started up a 'GPS Module Flight Test' in the AR Drone 2 area to make feedback a bit easier to find.

http://www.ardrone-flyers.com/forum/vie ... =41&t=6351" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gary - Shrewsbury UK

Ruyton
Made it over nextdoor

Post by Ruyton » 04 Jul 2013, 12:31

Ruyton wrote:How do you actually connect to the AR Drone?
OK, I've managed to connect to my AR Drone (GPS Flight Recorder fitted) with QGC via wifi and I'm seeing good data - except for the heading which is 90 degrees out - it changes as I rotate the drone, but always the same error.

I don't know why I'm seeing 2 'systems'. I've renamed the first AR Drone. The Mav 002 system is not selectable. Both flash red when I unplug the power to the drone and I get the 'connection lost' message at the top of the screen.

Good GPS data even indoors, must be the skylights in the room!

Any suggestions as to what I do next? Being very careful what buttons I press as I'm indoors!

Edit: Fixed the 90 degree compass error by pointing the drone to north when starting QGC - I'm sure there is a more elegant way of doing this, but QGC seems to start expecting the drone to be heading 360 by default.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gary - Shrewsbury UK

DroneFreakFPV
Thinking of bearings

Post by DroneFreakFPV » 05 Jul 2013, 03:27

cannot wait for a mirumod update to sync with the flight recorder. I am building my ard2 to be completley independent of wifi and shortly adding in a FPV system that is not wifi dependent and the RTH function will be of great assistance

Kyrt
Strange wobble

Post by Kyrt » 05 Jul 2013, 17:16

If anyone is able to do some profiling of the traffic between iOS app and drone that would be helpful. For example as a starting point, see what is sent to UDP port 5556 when you press the RTH button. It should be relatively easy if you know what this would entail (probably easiest is cross compiling a small program to run on the drone).

As I said, I will do it when I get my drone back from Parrot and if I can get my DIY flight recorder working, but maybe someone else will do it first. Who knows, Parrot might even update their SDK soon, which will give us the information needed.

Disclaimer: none of this is a guarantee that it will be possible to do - we don't know exactly how it works yet.

3nslav3
Batterys getting low

Post by 3nslav3 » 06 Jul 2013, 12:45

just ordered mine, should be here in 10 days max, heard from Shawn that he already has some droneGPSsoftware running but no flightrecorder to test with :lol:

bhupinho
Up and hovering

Post by bhupinho » 08 Jul 2013, 00:15

even though I got one I can't really use it as my preffered device is my nexus 4. Did some testing on my iPhone 3GS on Saturday, it did work let me stress but due to issues with the iPhone compass map and flight positions were way out but I think this is device related. it moved and stopped at a push of the go button.

Video : Extremely laggy, affected flight control when recording although improved a bit when I switched to USB. iPhone 3gs screen is way to small for all these features :(.

overall I think I'm gonna wait for free flight 2.4 for android, the reason being I don't think my iPhone is good enough to handle the video and flight processing at the same time and hence lag, my nexus is quad core and more then capable but the 2.4 update is not available untill Sept so back in the box little flight recorder lol

i-Drone
Spying is fun
Drone Type: Bebop

Post by i-Drone » 27 Jul 2013, 01:27

Got 5 spare GPS units left, get them while they are available :)

http://www.i-drone.me" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sales@i-drone.me
http://www.facebook.com/groups/124555427639033" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

i-Drone
Spying is fun
Drone Type: Bebop

Post by i-Drone » 30 Jul 2013, 23:11

All sold out now, but gave more coming in tomorrow.
Get your whilst you can.

http://www.i-drone.me" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sales@i-drone.me
https://www.facebook.com/groups/124555427639033/

milkymilky
Newcomer

Post by milkymilky » 10 Aug 2015, 17:27

Do you just SSH to the device? What port?