blorincz
Chased the cat
Drone Type: AR.Drone 2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Now available, 2000 mAh High Performance Battery

Post by blorincz » 27 Mar 2013, 17:53

You asked for it, and now we have them! :D

Finally got my long awaited order of 2000 mAh batteries. These are the same manufacturer as the 1500 mAh batteries I carry. Spent last night testing them out and I am pleased with the results.

I tested 3 different batteries. Each battery was fully charged, drained, then fully charged again. Flight testing was completed indoors with the outdoor hull, on a stock drone with only the bearing upgrade. I was using an iPad mini and the AR Free Flight app. Testing consisted of hovering the drone over a target for the entire length of the battery until the drone auto-landed.

Battery 1: (18m, 29s)
Battery 2: (18m, 2s)
Battery 3: (18m, 14s)

Average flight time for the 3 batteries was 18:15.00.

Below are the specs on the battery and a link to purchase them. Unfortunately, due to recent changes with international shipping regulations for lithium batteries, I can only ship these batteries to customers in the U.S. and Canada.

$34.99
http://drone-mods.com/2000-mAh-High-Per ... -DM004.htm

Voltage: 11.1
Capacity: 2000 mAh
Discharge Rate: 20c
Discharge Plug: mini-Tamiya
Balance Plug: JST-XH

Size: 72mm x 38mm x 30mm
Same length and width as the stock battery, and only 5mm taller. Outdoor and indoor hulls still fit without modification. Be sure to strap the battery in first, then connect the battery leads over the strap. This will help ensure the hull magnets make contact.

Weight: 130g
25 grams heavier than the stock battery. If you're running a stock AR.Drone, I didn't experience any negative impact on flight characteristics. If you've added accessories to your AR.Drone that add weight such as LED lighting, be conscious of how much weight your adding by using this battery.

This battery can be charged using the Parrot® AR.Drone 2.0 charger. Charging time is approximately 90 minutes.

pawelsky
Serious flight time
Drone Type: Bebop

Re: Now available, 2000 mAh High Performance Battery

Post by pawelsky » 27 Mar 2013, 17:58

blorincz wrote:Finally got my long awaited order of 2000 mAh batteries.
[...]
This battery can be charged using the Parrot® AR.Drone 2.0 charger. Charging time is approximately 90 minutes.
Any chance to have balance plug added to that battery by the manufacturer so it could be charged with Drone 1.0 charger (for compatibility with Drone 1) or some better charger (for shorter charge times)?

DBS
I've been hit!!
Drone Type: DISCO

Post by DBS » 27 Mar 2013, 18:03

Just grab an adapter pawelsky... Real cheap

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261152643642

WORLD RECORD Phantom 4 flight CLICK HERE
WORLD RECORD Matrice 600 flight CLICK HERE

blorincz
Chased the cat

Post by blorincz » 27 Mar 2013, 18:48

That's the one. Thanks DBS!
www.Drone-Mods.com || info@drone-mods.com
Exclusive U.S. distributor of the DroneTec QuadMod (R/C control)

MikeF74
Ready for take off

Post by MikeF74 » 27 Mar 2013, 19:54

I just ordered one.

Out of curiosity, how does specifying indoor hull vs outdoor hull within the software affect flight performance? Is it just accounting for extra weight or does it somehow correct for any sort of imbalance caused by this hull?

Since this larger battery adds 25g (and the indoor hull adds 30g), should I be tricking the flight software into thinking I'm using the indoor hull when this battery is in use outdoors?

DBS
I've been hit!!

Post by DBS » 27 Mar 2013, 20:18

If you ain't tried it yet... Go for it bro... You'll never select outdoor hull again...

Selecting indoor hull smooths out all the transitions... Instead of slamming on the breaks to stop... It's a nice controlled stop

BEWARE... takes a bit more running room before it stops
But it sure puts an end to all those tilt angle emergency shutdowns!!

pawelsky
Serious flight time

Post by pawelsky » 27 Mar 2013, 20:27

DroneBonerStallone wrote:Just grab an adapter pawelsky... Real cheap
I know this adapter, but it is another thing that you need to get separately and (thanks to Murphy's laws) probably won't be able to find when you really need it. Balance plug built it would make it really universal.

BTW it does not have any positioning locks, so it is easy to mismatch the pins in the adapter with the contacts on the battery. Not sure how the charger will react to that (probably will refuse charging rather than blow the battery up)

pbody2013
Serious flight time

Post by pbody2013 » 27 Mar 2013, 22:32

DBS I know you modded one of your Parrot chargers with a JST-XH balance plug. I was thinking If the back was popped of the charger then maybe a cable with JST could be soldered to the board. Cut a slot in the case and then the Parrot charger could be used for the stock battery and after market batteries. Think that's doable or worthwhile? Thanks
"It seems to be flying alright, but it's making a funny noise"

12inchmick
Up and hovering

Post by 12inchmick » 28 Mar 2013, 00:11

No delivery to UK sucks.......... Any ideas how us Limeys can get our hands on the 2000's?

12inch

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

DBS
I've been hit!!

Post by DBS » 28 Mar 2013, 00:15

pbody2013 wrote:DBS I know you modded one of your Parrot chargers with a JST-XH balance plug. I was thinking If the back was popped of the charger then maybe a cable with JST could be soldered to the board. Cut a slot in the case and then the Parrot charger could be used for the stock battery and after market batteries. Think that's doable or worthwhile? Thanks
Totally doable bro... And there's wiring to tap into inside there so you wouldn't even have to solder on the board... Some simple solder splices with heat shrink would do the trick ...

Soldering to the pins on the backside of the board would also work but I try to stay away from that whenever possible myself... So yeah whatever... Totally a no brainer mod... I thought of it myself but I have spare chargers here so I didn't need a dual purpose setup...

BTW... That charger is a bastard to get apart... It's not snapped together it's glued together... I ended up using a hacksaw to make four corner slices on the seam and then a big screwdriver blade to bust it open... And then glue it back with plastic cement.

DBS
I've been hit!!

Post by DBS » 28 Mar 2013, 00:16

12inchmick wrote:No delivery to UK sucks.......... Any ideas how us Limeys can get our hands on the 2000's?
I believe iDrone has had them for awhile now

EDIT: yupp... There ya go http://www.ardrone-flyers.com/forum/vie ... =45&t=4978

Direct link to the battery... http://www.i-drone.me/index.php?option= ... uct_id=177

Colart
Ready for take off

Post by Colart » 28 Mar 2013, 00:22

Anyone seen this hack
http://www.annahegedus.com/tutorials/10 ... -batteries" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DBS
I've been hit!!

Post by DBS » 28 Mar 2013, 00:33

Hahaaaaa :lol: ... I got my idea from her... She just makes the charger into a cradle so she can use a different charger... I went the other way and used the charger to charge aftermarket batteries... Same smell... Different method :ugeek:

12inchmick
Up and hovering

Post by 12inchmick » 28 Mar 2013, 01:40

DroneBonerStallone wrote:
12inchmick wrote:No delivery to UK sucks.......... Any ideas how us Limeys can get our hands on the 2000's?
I believe iDrone has had them for awhile now

EDIT: yupp... There ya go http://www.ardrone-flyers.com/forum/vie ... =45&t=4978

Direct link to the battery... http://www.i-drone.me/index.php?option= ... uct_id=177
Thanks DBS, one thing harder than learning to fly the drone is keeping up with the forum.......lol

12inch

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

DBS
I've been hit!!

Post by DBS » 28 Mar 2013, 02:40

Just remember to pass the info to the North American customers back to this DroneMods thread if you see any in your forum browsing... He's done a lot to get this stuff in stock for us over here so we don't have to wait for the slow boat from china :ugeek: