AR.Pro's HUD

Moderator: ShellDude

garrock
I've been hit!!
Drone Type: AR.Drone 2

Re: AR.Pro's HUD

Post by garrock » 17 Dec 2013, 01:24

If the Heading Indicator is fixed at the top, then the Drone Camera-Nose Indicator will move around the compass dial.

OK. What do you think Shell ??? Easy to change over to that?
  • If so, when the drone NavData reports the drone is not moving (or moving very slow), the displayed HUD compass might be a bit jumpy-looking (toggling randomly by 180 degrees) until the drone is moving fast enough again. If the camera-nose is fixed at the top then HUD compass might not be so jumpy-looking.

If I recall correctly, DBS said when he flew at a higher altitude for his 1.4 mile round trip record that the reported speed and heading did not work as expected (something was out of sorts). Perhaps he can elaborate here.
DroneMod.com --- Worlds first two-drone system: Repeater-Helper and Camera-Worker drones ! --- http://www.REDbirdRF.com

pawelsky
Serious flight time
Drone Type: Bebop

Post by pawelsky » 17 Dec 2013, 02:42

garrock wrote:If the Heading Indicator is fixed at the top, then the Drone Camera-Nose Indicator will move around the compass dial.
Gary please, course, not heading. Heading = Drone nose :)

Shell made a good decision to fix Drone camera indicator at the top as the arrow automatically points to what the camera sees. Why would you want to change that?

Jayson Hanes
Spying is fun

Post by Jayson Hanes » 17 Dec 2013, 03:02

I flew a battery tonight and I have to admit.. I couldn't make sense of what the hud was trying to help me with.. W was at the top while the drone was facing North and I was facing East... I'll try it again tomorrow!

pawelsky
Serious flight time

Post by pawelsky » 17 Dec 2013, 03:05

Jayson Hanes wrote:I flew a battery tonight and I have to admit.. I couldn't make sense of what the hud was trying to help me with.. W was at the top while the drone was facing North and I was facing East... I'll try it again tomorrow!
Is your compass calibrated?

garrock
I've been hit!!

Post by garrock » 17 Dec 2013, 03:06

Just trying to be amiable with the subject at hand.

Regardless of the terminology... this feature will enable one to fly their drone safely back into video downlink range if they wonder too far.

This has been a decisive feature of AR Drone Flight Pro.... no way I would risk flying deep down range without this HUD feature.
DroneMod.com --- Worlds first two-drone system: Repeater-Helper and Camera-Worker drones ! --- http://www.REDbirdRF.com

pawelsky
Serious flight time

Post by pawelsky » 17 Dec 2013, 03:21

garrock wrote:Regardless of the terminology... this feature will enable one to fly their drone safely back into video downlink range if they wonder too far.
That's what the green arrow is for, yaw the drone to align it with white arrow at the top and you know home direction.

If you have the nose direction fixed, the compass will not turn around like crazy (as the compass is aligned with drone's nose).

If you have the course indicator fixed, the compass will be jumpy when you are stationary and the GPS is not able to get the course.

ShellDude
Batterys getting low

Post by ShellDude » 17 Dec 2013, 04:49

Yup, it is only as reliable as your drone's (calibrated) compass.

I see a couple key changes naming convention wise and will update the "docs" shortly.

In the meantime I was inspired by our prior conversation around triangles and took on arcs and gradients...

Direct link: http://www.youtube.com/v/HqjFYft15ag

I couldn't help but keep the crash (stupid bad lighting) as it demonstrates a couple key new features around the course indicator and velocity. The slower the velocity the wider the arc. The faster the velocity the more opaque the arc becomes... basically ending at a solid line for "max" speed.

I also have it adapting max speed based on observed conditions which is why it seems real bouncy prior to take off.

Jayson Hanes
Spying is fun

Post by Jayson Hanes » 17 Dec 2013, 13:43

Oooo now that's looking goood!.. I suppose the implementation of hoverlock disabled makes calibrating the compass on launch difficult.. I would say that I did not calibrate the compass on that flight because I cannot unless I go into the menus and enable hoverlock and then calibrate and then go back and disable hoverlock. This brings up 2 additional points :)... can we have some kind of indicator that hoverlock is on or off? and a one-touch calibrate the compass which will re-enable hoverlock, spin the drone around, and dis-able it again?

ShellDude
Batterys getting low

Post by ShellDude » 17 Dec 2013, 14:00

You can bind hover lock and/or magneto to a button.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Jayson Hanes
Spying is fun

Post by Jayson Hanes » 17 Dec 2013, 15:26

ShellDude wrote:You can bind hover lock and/or magneto to a button.
right but that doesn't visually indicate if it's on or not.. maybe I missed the toast.. but to click a button, then menu - calibrate then click a button THEN go ahead and fly around is a lot of work.. this is magical technology so we want maximum magic! =)

ShellDude
Batterys getting low

Post by ShellDude » 17 Dec 2013, 16:51

Calibrate magneto is a visual activity ;)

I do know what you mean about visually showing the status of hover lock... I'll cook something up.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Jayson Hanes
Spying is fun

Post by Jayson Hanes » 17 Dec 2013, 19:58

the reason this is problematic (the hoverlock feedback) is that it's automatically disabled at a CERTAIN height...... because the feature is being used to do so.. but.. is it on? is it off? ohh it's tilt-stopping.. ok.

I have mine set to 9 meters (I think) and, as is the norm for the drone, sometimes it thinks its 20 feet off the ground when its eye-level.. and the situation is mysterious..

ShellDude
Batterys getting low

Post by ShellDude » 19 Dec 2013, 03:58

thinking thru the best way to solve this I've pretty much landed on a simple "H" to indicate whether hover lock is enabled or disabled. This indicator will also likely replace the current gyro arrow located in the upper left side of the display... obviously with a much smaller footprint.

I had some ideas around integrating it into the HUD itself but I think it's simply a matter of going with the H.

Thoughts? Anything better?

garrock
I've been hit!!

Post by garrock » 19 Dec 2013, 06:12

Keep in mind dim screens in bright sunlight. Make it bold enough to discern at a glance.

ShellDude
Batterys getting low

Post by ShellDude » 23 Dec 2013, 17:07

Updated OP with new HUD definitions and features: