Pro joysticks/simulation systems issue

Moderator: shawnf

KaYteck
Newcomer
Drone Type: Bebop

Pro joysticks/simulation systems issue

Post by KaYteck » 31 May 2014, 02:34

Hello,

I tested your application on two different advanced systems for PC simulators. I was surprised that ArDrone Flight Pro running on Xperia Z managed them almost perfectly. You need only simple OTG cable and you should disable any additional software for android gamepad control (like sixaxis or others).
Regular joysticks (with support of two axis) are useless for drone control - one hand on joystick, second on phone - forget. But control systems for simulators has four axis (additional two from separate throttle and pedals or integrated into main joystick - you can rotate joystick for yaw control and you have small throttle).
There is only one small issue very easy to solve: on any gamepad controllers all four axis are from -1 to 1. Almost the same is in simulators controllers with one exception - axis for throttle (that we need to control drone flight level) is from 0 to 1, not from -1 to 1. If you add one checkbox for height control axis calculation that ArDrone Flight PRO will fully support PRO simulation control systems. The title obligate to implement it :)

I can test it for you.

shawnf
Chased the cat

Re: Pro joysticks/simulation systems issue

Post by shawnf » 03 Jun 2014, 08:21

I'll think about it, but no promises, as I can't see many people carrying all that outside into a field...
Also, unlike a plane, you spend a lot of time at hover, so you want the throttle to be at the mid point for this and you actually want it sprung this way... Hands off to hover.
In other words, a very niche request, so I'm afraid it isn't high in the new features.

KaYteck
Newcomer
Drone Type: Bebop

Re: Pro joysticks/simulation systems issue

Post by KaYteck » 03 Jun 2014, 17:59

Thank you for reply. Maybe i wrote unclear post. Only one thing i need is bool flag in XML configuration file. Default is false and not affecting anything. Everything is as is now. When someone set it to true then height axis range from input pad should be calculated not from -1 to 1 but from 0 to 1 (0 from input will be equal to current -1). That's all. It's 10 minutes non-risk task for programmer but for us - people from niche - that's mean many hours of fun.

All the best!