brad112358
Battery Charged
Drone Type: AR.Drone 2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Autonomous Flight With Flight Recorder GPS

Post by brad112358 » 03 Jul 2014, 02:22

Shawn,

I will continue this discussion on the G+ beta group later, but I did a protocol capture while flying with the released ARDF pro and I can confirm that MAVlink GPS_POSITION_INT packets (33) are being sent from the AR Drone to the tablet the entire span of the autonomous flight. So the problem seems to be on your end. It's not that the drone stops sending at the first waypoint as you suggested. It seems that the app just stops processing them.

--Brad

frankturner98
Newcomer

Post by frankturner98 » 05 Jul 2014, 13:38

I have GPS firmware version installed 4.1.2-P6. Looks like my ARD2 tried to update the GPS firmware twice now said it was successful but I still only see 4.1.2-P6 when I check that status screen from the FreeFlight application. Anyone know if there a new version of the GPS firmware has been released or is my FlightRecorder just flakey?

Chrystall
Ready for take off

Post by Chrystall » 23 Jul 2014, 11:25

I have just started experimenting witht the autonomus flight features of the app, but I have some problems. The tracking of my position is not very smooth, there are frequent dropouts, the position updating is very slow, and often incorrect. It happens that my position marked on the map is 5-10m away from where I am in reality. I wonder if it has a relation to my outdated OS (I am still using JellyBean)? I would have liked to test the performance of the GPS in AR FreeFlight too, to compare, but when the autonomus flight page loads there, the map doesn't appear, only a grey blank screen. The map didn't appear in AR Drone Flight pro either until I updated it to the latest version along with the Google Maps App. Until then no map loaded. Android makes me go crazy sometimes :)

shawnf
Chased the cat

Post by shawnf » 24 Jul 2014, 07:22

It sounds like you just haven't got a good GPS signal.
The blue circle round the dot is how good the GPS fix is for your device and the text shows the fix accuracy for the drone.
Having said that, I've never seen a Parrot fix of less than 4m, so this means the real position is somewhere in that circle.
Without differential GPS then you are never going to get great positions and they will vary in time as the satellite coverage changes. Just look at your reported position doing a random walk in Google maps. ;)

Chrystall
Ready for take off

Post by Chrystall » 05 Aug 2014, 03:40

Something is not okay with how the tab is dealing with the GPS or the GPS itself is not very good. While the drone GPS manages to find a satellite fast, the tab is searching for them for a long time and there are usually long drop outs. But I suspect it is caused by some software error of the Android OS.

By the way, how can you measure distances on the map? Is this possible? I couldn't find an option like that.