Moderator: shawnf

Feranix
Ready for take off
Drone Type: AR.Drone 2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Troubleshooting ARDrone Flight PRO

Post by Feranix » 20 Apr 2014, 15:59

I apparently found a way to do it on a mobile device. I used Opera Browser for Android to get the maps forge file. I renamed it to the proper name and noticed the GPS icon was finally on my screen in the app. I'm good to go now

bede1
Battery Charged

Post by bede1 » 17 Nov 2014, 03:55

Hi, for some reason on both my Galaxy Tab 10.1 and my S4 phone the app locks up when starting. I have to restart both to get out of it. Always happens on every start

shawnf
Chased the cat

Post by shawnf » 20 Nov 2014, 09:31

All I can say is it works fine on my S3... And the five other phones I test with, plus the seven tablets.
When you say locks up, the first time you do the licence update you have to exit and restart, but after this it's fine. You exit using the back button, just in case you are pressing home.
I'm assuming you have the latest release and have tried reinstalling.
Things to check... Don't use task killers; have WiFi on and GPS enabled if you are trying to use the map. Also you need to be connected to the internet for the first time as Google Maps does its validation... Just the way Google works, so try the app not connected to the drone.

jetcobra
Newcomer

Post by jetcobra » 05 Mar 2015, 19:07

I have just obtained a used ARdrone 2.0 that needs motors (firmware = 2.4.8). Before doing the complete upgrade I wanted to make sure that the electronics worked. By using ARDrone Flight PRO and Freeflight I discovered that the Nav Board was bad so I replaced it with a new one and got everything working in Flight PRO so I could then add GPS. I did that by getting a Navistick and using the instructions found on this forum to get it working by verifying it in Freeflight. I now have the GPS information showing in the OSD.

My problem is this - every time I try to renew the licenses I get a very quick screen and then no list of maps, so I downloaded the California map from MAPSFORGE and renamed it Ardrone.map put it in the Map folder, but I still do not get a Map screen on Flight PRO.

I got Flight PRO from Amazon and it is loaded onto my Kindle Fire HDX and I have over 9 GB of memory left.

What else should I try?

Thanks, Ron

shawnf
Chased the cat

Post by shawnf » 05 Mar 2015, 20:36

Amazon actually do their own licencing, so I don't know what it involves.
Having said this it depends what Fire HDX you have as only the 3G version has a GPS which is required to use the map.
If you have a flight recorder which is returning a location, then you should be able to use a map on a Fire without a GPS, but I've not tested this for a long time...
My guess is that you don't actually have a GPS in your Fire though, or you need to turn it on.

jetcobra
Newcomer

Post by jetcobra » 05 Mar 2015, 22:12

I have the Kindle Fire 7" HDX (3rd gen) and the specs say that it has GPS and I have turned on locations services but cannot find something that says GPS is specifically turned on. I have the GPS Navistick connected via USB and I am getting GSP info on the OSD.

shawnf
Chased the cat

Post by shawnf » 06 Mar 2015, 08:41

Well unless Amazon have got their technical details wrong, this is the line about location support:
Location Services Location-based services via Wi-Fi. 4G model also uses assisted-GPS

So unless you have a 4G version then I'm afraid you don't have a GPS.

You could check and see if the Sat symbol appears near the top right of my app after you see a GPS signal from the drone or try the Show Drone Location menu, but if it doesn't then you need a device with a GPS. I can't test a non GPS device at the moment as I only have a Kindle with 3G here...

jetcobra
Newcomer

Post by jetcobra » 06 Mar 2015, 22:56

Thanks Shawn - everything I have now read says that the 3rd Gen 7" Fire HDX has GPS capability but it is not turned on and to do so requires rooting the tablet and with the 4.5.3 OS that is currently not possible, so yes, I do not have GPS.

I have an ACER 10" tablet and tried on it and was successful - I got the satellite symbol and I downloaded the California map and got the split screen, but then when I tried it the next time I could get the GPS to register on the OSD. I think something may have gone wrong with the navistick, but I have reprogrammed it and do not know how to check it, so my problems continue.