ARDrone Flight Pro = ARDrone Flight + Platinum Features

Moderator: shawnf

DerShu
Ready for take off
Drone Type: AR.Drone 2

Re: ARDrone Flight Pro = ARDrone Flight + Platinum Features

Post by DerShu » 12 Jun 2014, 18:28

mede8er wrote:Bringing this thread back from the dead, as a new user this app paired with the PS3 controller is very solid....Thanks man!
AGREED!!! ARDrone Flight Pro + Nexus 7 + PS3 + GameClip really rocks!!! :D

garrock
I've been hit!!

Post by garrock » 12 Jun 2014, 23:10

DerShu wrote:... ARDrone Flight Pro + Nexus 7 + PS3 + GameClip really rocks!!! :D
Yes. It does Rock. That is the ground based equipment; except adding an optional WiFi Range Extender.

And then there is the drone itself:
  • * Add an External Antenna Mod
    * Add bearings to replace the bushings
    * Balance the props
    * Fly with no hull
    * Add a tail cone of some sorts to eliminate the camera nose from turning and for fastest possible flying
All the above will enable you to fly 1KM (3280 feet) out and back.
DroneMod.com --- Worlds first two-drone system: Repeater-Helper and Camera-Worker drones ! --- http://www.REDbirdRF.com

DerShu
Ready for take off

Post by DerShu » 13 Jun 2014, 19:17

garrock wrote:
DerShu wrote:... ARDrone Flight Pro + Nexus 7 + PS3 + GameClip really rocks!!! :D
Yes. It does Rock. That is the ground based equipment; except adding an optional WiFi Range Extender.

And then there is the drone itself:
  • * Add an External Antenna Mod
    * Add bearings to replace the bushings
    * Balance the props
    * Fly with no hull
    * Add a tail cone of some sorts to eliminate the camera nose from turning and for fastest possible flying
All the above will enable you to fly 1KM (3280 feet) out and back.
Your antenna mod and bearing kits are on my ToDo list. :)

I'm just finishing up my WiFi repeater with higher gain antennas, and waiting for a good weather day to start running tests at my favorite flying area. I am using a TP-Link TL-WA801ND repeater running from a 3S LiPo via a 9 volt switch mode regulator. For antennas I have a pair of TP-Link 8dBi omni antennas, and the whole setup is mounted on a photography tripod.

I will be curious to see what fuselage mod you have come up with to minimize the weathervaning effect. It is probably good that I will not be immediately ready to order your improvements, so that I can order all at once. Customs on stuff purchased in the USA always seems to be a PITA for me. :(

tbdroneproject
Battery Charged

Post by tbdroneproject » 29 Jul 2014, 09:29

We have just started to use this software and we love it! We are using it with an gamepad and the control of the drones is so much easier with an gamepad then the on-screen controllers.
We are still playing around with the HUD and other settings. We are beginners so have not change so many settings yet :)

Great software and keep up the good work with it.
TBB Productions on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/user/tbdroneproject. New video every Monday. | Instagram http://instagram.com/tbbproductions

peterek
Battery Charged

Post by peterek » 21 Aug 2014, 22:08

Google Cardboard with ARDrone Flight pro would be awesome, for $25 we could have a FPV goggles that are better than any Fatsharks out there, and it will give us fully immerse flying experience.

I wonder if the developer of ARdrone Flight could modify the code to make it to work with google cardboard

some info:
https://cardboard.withgoogle.com/

and SDK for developers.
https://developers.google.com/cardboard/overview

I ordered my cardboard and will receive it in 2 days to test it out, but seems like it is getting great reviews from people.

Any Android Developer that can make it happen??? :D

shawnf
Chased the cat

Post by shawnf » 24 Aug 2014, 09:45

I just got my cardboard kit from Amazon and it's very impressive. My N5 actually has a better screen than my first gen Oculus.
No promises on a release as I'm not sure how well their SDK will interact. If they have the shader, then I might try using it with my existing oculus code.

The main problem is no head strap, as controlling the drone with head motion alone is not that great. I found with the oculus that using a gamepad was better for direction and just used head tracking for yaw.

But cardboard is a great introduction to VR and no need for a first generation oculus ;)

peterek
Battery Charged

Post by peterek » 24 Aug 2014, 16:25

I'm using ar drone 2.0 board with my phantom fc40 and your ardrone flight pro, i tried epson moverico bt-200 and it is very cool but $700 for glasses is too much,

Maybe it would be good just to make it work with cardboard aa a video screen only for users thay have mirumod and than in future add more features..... Saying that because I cant wait to try it on cardboard lol

If you need any help with beta testing let me know;)

shawnf
Chased the cat

Post by shawnf » 24 Aug 2014, 16:54

I did a quick hack to try it with cardboard. Basically I am using a modified version of my OculusVR code.
Google haven't open-sourced their code yet, despite saying it will be done, so I can't see their code and it doesn't play well with my app at the moment.

What I have working (mostly) is you have to have an NFC version of cardboard and I only tried it with my old N4 (as the N5 is charging).

So what you have to do is start up my app and then tap on the NFC sticker. This switches into cardboard mode with stereo view.
Tap again on the NFC sticker to go back to normal mode.
I haven't really changed the OpenGL shader from the Oculus one, so the OpenGL shader distortion / layout is only approximate for Cardboard...
I will upload it to the beta in a while - at least not for another 30 mins, as that's how long a build takes.
I might have to back it out based on beta feedback, but at first glance it doesn't have any bad side effects as it only gets triggered by the cardboard NFC sticker.
In other words, you need to join the beta (detail in the beta thread: http://www.ardrone-flyers.com/forum/vie ... =42&t=6560) if you want to try out cardboard... and don't blame me for any motion sickness, as I can only use it for a short period of time ;)
Oh and one more thing - it will only work if you are running ICS (4.0) or higher.

peterek
Battery Charged

Post by peterek » 24 Aug 2014, 17:05

Perfect, cant wait to try it! I have htc one with cm11 kitkat 4.4 and nfc enabled cardboard,
I was suprised that i could watch any 3d movies that are in sidebyside format on cardboard;)

brzez
Newcomer
Drone Type: Bebop

Post by brzez » 21 Sep 2014, 05:28

I updated my phone to Cyanogenmod 11 (KitKat 4.4) and tried running the app. Everything works except the map portion which says the following:
This app won't run unless you update Google Play services.

I'm not sure what i need to do there -- is it an app issue or a phone software issue. It worked fine before on the original HTC Droid Incredible Firmware.

Thanks for any help.

brzez
Newcomer
Drone Type: Bebop

Post by brzez » 21 Sep 2014, 05:59

I did find google play services in the play store and updated them and now all is good.

Kyokushin
Newcomer

Post by Kyokushin » 12 Nov 2014, 22:32

OK, i made tests with cardboard, and there is some classic bug: proportions are broken.
Your SBS view is 16:9 squezzed per eye to two 8:9 proportions.
This is not SBS for TV (standard sbs), you need to make it for VR, without squeeze, so, you have 2 way to achieve it:
1. crop left and right part of screen
2. make stream smaller and got two black sides on up and down

You have for example 1920x1080 (16:9) screen. in SBS you have 960x1080 (8:9) per eye, and it cannot be 1920->960 squeeze because you will have wrong proportions (as now)
Objects are 50% squezzed, trees are 200% high :)

For example, i show you in ed example (i have screens, idea is the same).
Classic onscreen view:
http://i.imgur.com/PltNsaq.jpg

You got this:
http://i.imgur.com/pjjjC1i.jpg

But you need this:
http://i.imgur.com/dX5u2K6.jpg

Second thing.
Google cardboard is a piece of crap. There are better gogles and people use them, for example:
http://www.fasttech.com/product/1872500 ... y-3d-video

They have different lenses than google cardboard, so you need to make option to turn off distorion correction. In case of better gogles with larger lenses as colorcross you almost dont need any correction just non-standard SBS view (2 eyes duplicates cropped or smaller video)

moka
Newcomer

Post by moka » 17 Dec 2014, 02:18

Hello everybody
as i understand, someone was successful with the flying in stereo view, with cardboard and game pad.
How did you get it?
I mean, it's more than a week that i try to switch the app to the stereoscopic view but nothing happens.
I don't have the official Google Cardboard mask but a Stooksy VR-Spektiv with good quality big glass lenses and no NFC tag.
I did the following with my AR Drone 2+Samsung S4+BT game pad on the subjected app (ARDrone Flight Pro):

1) buyed NFC tag and set it to open the official Cardboard app (i used 5 different known apps to write the tag in more ways)
2) open the ARDrone flight Pro app, connected to my drone (i also set the auto restart option in the app)
3) touched the Phone with the above mentioned NFC Tag

....The only thing that happens is that Drone app switches off and the Cardboard app starts. NO Stereo view,( never!)

Tried to uninstall and reinstall all apps (Cardboard/Drone app/Nfc app) but nothing... Drone app off / Cardboard app on. :oops:
I know, my nfc tag is not the Cardboard official one, but i can't believe that the original one is the only way to switch to stereo view.... or not? :cry:

Someone has the same problem, or has an idea how to solve the problem?
Last edited by moka on 18 Dec 2014, 01:48, edited 1 time in total.

shawnf
Chased the cat

Post by shawnf » 17 Dec 2014, 09:08

As I said in email I think it's because you've programmed your NFC tag wrongly, but as mine was preprogrammed, then I can't help there...
This talks about programming the tag with a URL and my guess is you haven't done this, but set it to launch an app
http://betanews.com/2014/06/25/google-c ... your-face/

moka
Newcomer

Post by moka » 18 Dec 2014, 00:37

E U R E K A !! :idea:
You were fully right. Before, I wrote the Tag to open the app with the standard method and NOT with the URL method (cardboard://v1.0.0) :o :o .
Now it works... like you said: TAG switches between mono and stereo view... BRAVO !! :lol:

Now only a problem still remains, as Kyokushin noticed a few posts ago: the proportions bug that squezzes the view in stereo mode does not allow to use it for more than a 10 seconds psychedelic fun session. In my case the result is a "vertical squezzed sphere view".

Anyway, I appreciate the developer effort till here, and I'm grateful for his feedback...

Of course, that doesn't mean that I do not expect a fix for this bug in the next Update :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

....please :roll: