ARDrone Flight - Now supporting ARDrone 2

Moderator: shawnf

shawnf
Chased the cat

ARDrone Flight - Now supporting ARDrone 2

Post by shawnf » 10 Jul 2012, 10:18

Well it took a lot of effort, but I've finally managed to get SDK 2.0 running with both V1 and V2 Drones.

V2 support is only enabled for Platinum donators or ARDrone Combat owners, but others will be able to see video and try out recording.

Of course nothing comes without issues. If you want to record ARDrone 2 video, then you need a fast Android device - Tegra 2 or above, as the Galaxy S is now in the barely capable category...

More to come, like USB recording with V2 Drones but need a rest for a bit ;)

DBS
I've been hit!!
Drone Type: DISCO

Re: ARDrone Flight - Now supporting ARDrone 2

Post by DBS » 10 Jul 2012, 13:40

First tester.... i guess i'll just stick to the things i like and ask a couple questions...

I like your controls bro... very VERY good job on slight movements... i like to be able to get just 1° tilt and move slowly so the video is nice and smooth... love the way that's working on your app...

Like seeing the nav-data on screen... can't understand why Parrot wouldn't do that in their app...

Nice , big , record button and exit on screen... major plus... good thinking

What's your thoughts on bitrate for record?... i left it at default 400 and i see the limitations in my video ... if i boost it way up is that gonna be harder on my phone processor?? What about boosting record and dropping video? Would that make it a little easier on the phone or do i need to leave the video setting up there too??

Also what is the altitude limit switch set at?

Getting your screen mapped out for my PS3 controller here and gonna try it again in a little while... but so far so good

Motorola Droid Bionic... dual core 1GHz... 1GB RAM... rooted and cleaned out ... not running hardly any background apps.... over 500MB of free RAM all the time
WORLD RECORD Phantom 4 flight CLICK HERE
WORLD RECORD Matrice 600 flight CLICK HERE

hakan42
Ready for take off

Post by hakan42 » 11 Jul 2012, 23:40

There seems to be something fishy with the donation check.

I had bought the in-app donation on the earlier version on my galaxy s2. In the meantime, I have switched phones to a galaxy s3, so I installed ARDrone Flight.

If I try to start the dry, I get the message that v2 support is only for donators, but if I go to the settings, the "buy donation" button is greyed out. I seem to remember that once the market popped up for a second, telling me that I have already bought something, but it went away too fast for me to read, and now I can't reproduce it again...

hakan42
Ready for take off

Post by hakan42 » 11 Jul 2012, 23:43

Ah, and the second thing : donation check seems only to work when you have internet access.

This is not always possible if you have no reception or are on vacation in a foreign country. A very bad time to loose drone control ability :evil:

DBS
I've been hit!!

Post by DBS » 11 Jul 2012, 23:58

And... it happens every time i use the app... i have to change wifi to internet... restart drone rescue... go back and connect to the drone and start over... not using the app anymore

shawnf
Chased the cat

Post by shawnf » 12 Jul 2012, 10:33

Actually I forgot to check the notify me, so I had been having a nice rest without seeing these posts...
:oops:

Anyway it uses Google in-app billing, so you will have to connect to the internet get the status on a new device / re-install.
This should be cached - certainly what is happening on my test device. In fact it's cached so well I can't get it to fail!
If you see the Donate section greyed out in Platinum settings (you have to connect to internet to do this of course), then you should be good to fly...
It will refresh the state in the Platinum section, so my best guess is that you have to wait long enough in there to get a valid response from the Google Play billing server.
If you are still having problems, then use the email developer link in Google Play with your purchase confirmation ID, so I can check it went through OK. I do see a reasonable number of purchases cancelled by Googe Wallet due to failed authorisations, but then you should see that as a failed to buy email too.

So quick summary. Go to the Platinum section; connect to the internet; wait for a bit...; check that the Donate section is greyed out. At this point you should be good to go as it's cached and you can fly. If not the use the mail the developer link and send me some alogcat logs and I'll fix it... difficult to fix something I can't reproduce ;)

Of course I also have ARDrone Combat installed, so this can be masking Donate problems, as I have to let combat owners fly too.

shawnf
Chased the cat

Post by shawnf » 12 Jul 2012, 13:10

OK just uploaded 5.30 with some more tracing.
I checked with my test account by donating to myself (damn Google gets 30% ;)) and it worked as I describe.
Before donating, donate is available and I can't fly. After donating it gets cached and I can... If I go back into the Platinum Features then it correctly shows as donated and I can fly.
So working as expected...
If you are still having problems, then send me your Google Checkout IDs and alogcat logs

DBS
I've been hit!!

Post by DBS » 16 Jul 2012, 14:37

So what's your status with Nexus 7 Shawn? Just got mine and it works with your app but it's sketchy... app force closes when you try to go into settings... but if you disconnect from the drone you can adjust settings and then reconnect... flight was wobbly enough to make me stop... don't wanna break anything... looking forward to your updates bro

shawnf
Chased the cat

Post by shawnf » 16 Jul 2012, 15:16

Unfortunately I'm still waiting for mine to ship... along with everyone else at work who ordered from Google Play. Could be a UK thing...
My credit card hasn't been charged yet, so not going to be soon at this rate :(
The only person I know who got one, ordered from eBuyer... there was I thinking Google would send them quicker ;)

DBS
I've been hit!!

Post by DBS » 16 Jul 2012, 16:30

I'm hopeful anyway... I don't mind the wait at all... this thing is so fast dude... I'm sure it will handle the app a lot better than my Bionic... I'm going out and mess with it some more outside away from things where it's safe

shawnf
Chased the cat

Post by shawnf » 18 Jul 2012, 15:02

Well just got the Nexus 7. Running build JRO03D.
I installed v5.35 of ARDrone Flight from Google Play and no problems. This was connected and not connected to the V2 Drone.
So it seems fine.
Can you confirm that you have the ICS version of ARDrone Flight installed?
In the settings menu you should see the Gamepad mapping section which allows joystick mapping (not that I have tried USB joysticks yet)...

DBS
I've been hit!!

Post by DBS » 18 Jul 2012, 17:39

Confirmed... even did your update yesterday... haven't flown since then though

shawnf
Chased the cat

Post by shawnf » 20 Jul 2012, 00:57

In theory I have now added USB recording... hopefully without breaking anything else ;)
Not as much testing as I would like, due to it getting late here, but as it's the feature quite a few people are asking for, I'm sure I'll get feedback if something else is broken :)

Parrot have also introduced a bug with combined yaw mode on V2 Drones - if you turn on combined yaw mode and try and use yaw it snaps to a magnetic heading which isn't enabled. I think I have worked round it (second attempt), but its a hack until I see if I can code round it better in the SDK.

hakan42
Ready for take off

Post by hakan42 » 20 Jul 2012, 21:58

Damn... Drone in trunk of car, software updated, lipos charged....

Aaand, just in time for leaving office, it starts to rain... I really really hope tomorrow will be flying weather, most of my indoor experiments end up in bent props :-?

tape_ape
Ready for take off

Post by tape_ape » 22 Jul 2012, 06:00