ARDrone Flight - Now supporting ARDrone 2

Moderator: shawnf

3nslav3
Batterys getting low
Drone Type: AR.Drone 2

Re: ARDrone Flight - Now supporting ARDrone 2

Post by 3nslav3 » 13 Nov 2012, 19:23

good point DBS! explains why i didnt notice it when i just tested inside, this is worth looking into!

edit: added to my buglist, i'll inform Shawn after his vacation ;)
I also got used to I guess :P but i don't usually fly when there is a bit of wind and i'm a flat trim addict 8-)

but_AR_fly
Battery Charged

Post by but_AR_fly » 13 Nov 2012, 20:16

DroneBonerStallone wrote:
but_AR_fly wrote:2. Since I installed ARDrone Flight and updated the firmware the drone does no longer stay in one place when I turn around the vertical axis. Instead it begins to drift heavily.
Freeflight does not do this... it will still target lock while rotating or climbing
Thank you! That clears it up.
I never thought to call this out as a problem ... just thought it was a different deal with using a different app... and I'm a two thumb flyer all the time anyway... just got used to it and never thought about it till he just brought it up
Well, outside I will learn to live with it, but a friend asked me to steer the drone flying on a stage (in a musical) and I was used not to have to think about actively keeping it on the spot while rotating. I'll have to be a quick learner, with the turbulence and the bad lighting and all... :?

Problem is: I understood that with 2.2.6 I cannot use Freeflight any more... :(

DBS
I've been hit!!
Drone Type: DISCO

Post by DBS » 13 Nov 2012, 20:33

but_AR_fly wrote:a friend asked me to steer the drone flying on a stage (in a musical) and I was used not to have to think about actively keeping it on the spot while rotating. I'll have to be a quick learner, with the turbulence and the bad lighting and all
You may be getting another bad effect there also... "shadowing" ... with overhead lighting the drone see's it's own shadow and follows it... the more it starts to move the more it chases it's shadow
WORLD RECORD Phantom 4 flight CLICK HERE
WORLD RECORD Matrice 600 flight CLICK HERE

but_AR_fly
Battery Charged

Post by but_AR_fly » 13 Nov 2012, 21:37

DroneBonerStallone wrote:
but_AR_fly wrote:a friend asked me to steer the drone flying on a stage (in a musical) and I was used not to have to think about actively keeping it on the spot while rotating. I'll have to be a quick learner, with the turbulence and the bad lighting and all
You may be getting another bad effect there also... "shadowing" ... with overhead lighting the drone see's it's own shadow and follows it... the more it starts to move the more it chases it's shadow
Thank you for this important warning! :)
Maybe they can switch off overhead lighting for this scene and illuminate the floor with an almost horizontal beam instead so the drone can lock on a structure there.

but_AR_fly
Battery Charged

Post by but_AR_fly » 14 Nov 2012, 18:58

3nslav3 wrote:
but_AR_fly wrote: 1. Since yesterday the record button does no longer work. I couldn't fix this by rebooting the drone and my phone or by deleting all app data.
full SD card or full usb stick or usb doesn't get recognized anymore? but yeah, you deleted the data so i guess you'll be fine there ;)
you can also try checking in the "set video recording mode" menu, maybe you have a wrong setting there :)
Sooo,

issue No. 1 solved:
I checked that there was plenty of free space on my sd card.
Then I tried uninstall/boot/reinstall the apps. That didn't help.
Then I verified that Freeflight still could record videos. So the problem had to be connected with something the old installation of ARDroneFlight had left behind on the phone.
I uninstalled the apps again. I checked with OI filemanager. Uninstalling the apps had left the ARDroneFlight folder.
I renamed this folder to ARDroneFlight_old, rebooted and reinstalled.
Now the record button works again and after the first start the ARDroneFlight folder has been recreated.

The only thing I had changed between "recording possible" and "recording not working any more" was that I deleted the old videos after transferring them to my pc. Maybe I messed up something by that. Deleted something I shouldn't have deleted. ;)

Thank you for your advice!
Maybe Shawn can look at the drifting issue (the drone releases the lock on the ground when the right joypad is touched) when he's back, as DroneBonerStallone confirmed it (although DroneBonerStallone is experienced enough so that it is no problem for him to compensate it automatically 8-) )

3nslav3
Batterys getting low

Post by 3nslav3 » 15 Nov 2012, 14:41

but_AR_fly:
Thanks for posting how you fixed it man! you are the first to encounter this problem so if there are more people with this problem then they will get sorted out thanks to you ;)
Great work!

UPDATE:
A user reported that there is a problem with freeflight after using ARDrone Flight PRO

the options menu doesn't work anymore in freeflight (app crashes)

how to fix:
if you want to use freeflight:
load up ARDrone Flight PRO and set the max altitude limit to 3 meter (IT HAS TO BE 3 METER)

then the freeflight settings work again
have fun guys! and report back if there is a problem!

credit to Garrock for pointing us to this problem! GJ!

http://youtu.be/-PKSrdRY2sQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Direct link: http://www.youtube.com/v/-PKSrdRY2sQ

but_AR_fly
Battery Charged

Post by but_AR_fly » 15 Nov 2012, 23:27

3nslav3 wrote:
but_AR_fly wrote: 3. I never got HD video, and I never got recording on USB. I am sure I missed some setting, and for the time being I'd be happy to get ANY video again.
"set video recording mode" => you can choose if you want USB, local (on the tablet), or USB + local (record on usb and tablet at the same time)
if you want higher quality video you can set the device performance and bitrates in the "user interface and feedback" menu
(the adversise the drone as "HD" but it's video far from HD ;)
Good luck!
Issue No.3 solved!

I experimented some more with the moment when to plug in the USB flash drive.
When I inserted it before I connected the battery, I got some flashing of the green lights some time after connecting the battery and starting ARDroneFlight. Then the drive was recognized and I got high res recording on usb!
For proof see my new signature ;)

shawnf
Chased the cat

Post by shawnf » 22 Nov 2012, 09:48

OK the new release is now live.

It does fix the drift when using yaw/climb on its own.

The list of things I can remember are: it introduces dialogs which say why and when you need to connect to the internet and the drone; a new license refresh menu option; some text changes; transparency now works the other way round to match its name; you get a warning if you try to change the height limit that Freeflight is buggy as hell ;); more absolute mode fixes; probably other things I have forgotten...
Anyway hopefully the main issues :)

but_AR_fly
Battery Charged

Post by but_AR_fly » 22 Nov 2012, 10:10

shawnf wrote:OK the new release is now live.

It does fix the drift when using yaw/climb on its own.
Thank you very much Shawn!
I am looking forward to testing!

3nslav3
Batterys getting low

Post by 3nslav3 » 22 Nov 2012, 12:01

how to check for licenses over 3G / mobile internet:

when asked to connect to the internet: just disconnect from the drone or any other wifi network and hit the back button

then the the app will use mobile internet for the license check ;)

(android gives wifi high priority for internet acces so connecting to a wifi source (like the drone) turns off mobile internet and that is why license checks can't happen while being connected to a wifi source)

-there is also a new button when in the main options menu to do a manual license check :)
-a comfirmation message that tells you if the license check has been successful

shawnf
Chased the cat

Post by shawnf » 29 Nov 2012, 00:24

6.12 coming soon from Play Store.
It adds the V2 local HD recording support if the drone overlay recording option isn't selected.
Also updated Russian translations thanks to sadko2000.
Plus some bug fixes...

shawnf
Chased the cat

Post by shawnf » 09 Dec 2012, 00:06

I've uploaded the latest version with shutter sound when doing a camera still capture and it only shows the take-off button when configuration has completed.

I've also updated the configuration video (HD now ;)) on YouTube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vB2JUWbnPZ0

The updates to my website screenshots will have to wait until I'm feeling keen ;)

shawnf
Chased the cat

Post by shawnf » 09 Dec 2012, 19:06

Definitely not feeling keen, but I have gone through the main sections and updated the screenshots and shown the differences between Flight and Pro:
http://www.meavydev.co.uk/ARDrone.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

brock.travis
Ready for take off

Post by brock.travis » 03 Jan 2013, 05:14

What exactly does the "Outdoor Hull" and "Outdoor Mode" options do in ARDrone Flight?

In flight mode, whats the difference between "Normal" and "Combined yaw - collective yaw active".
Without looking at the app, they appear to do the same thing. Or am I confusing Yaw and Roll?

andyadams
Newcomer
Drone Type: AR.Drone

Post by andyadams » 06 Feb 2015, 08:46

I am a qrcode barcode developr,sometimes i need to use AR.Drone in my work.I have been trying to decode the video stream from an AR.Drone 2.0 for a while now with no success.Does somebody already try to get the video stream of the Parrot AR Drone with UDP network ? We already bricked 2 Drone by trying change their sofware !