Modified FreeFlight 2.4.10 APK with game controller support

iOS Apps and Games for the AR.Drone. General Android discussions.

What should be the X button "secret feature"?

absolute control toggle
9%
return home
47%
map view
3%
flat trim
3%
emergency
34%
other (post your suggestion below)
3%

Total votes: 32

Darklo
Just flips over
Drone Type: AR.Drone 2

Re: Modified FreeFlight 2.4.10 APK with game controller supp

Post by Darklo » 14 Mar 2015, 17:38

Ok, so the first link at the Parrot forums is about using Nvidia Game Mapper to translate the buttons and joystick inputs to touchscreen presses. This means Shield is not supported natively by FreeFlight 3, exactly as I suspected.
It also means that none of the issues at hand here about deadzones and response curves apply to FF3, because the Game Mapper deals with those.

My Wikipad also comes with a similar gamepad mapper. I tried it and it sort of works, but you don't get the ability to flip in any direction, hover lock is impossible to disable and the on-screen joysticks appear whenever you move the sticks.
So I quickly moved away from touchscreen emulation as a solution and towards native support.

Carl190_1
Just flips over

Post by Carl190_1 » 14 Mar 2015, 22:09

I'm almost there. Trying to convince you to do the same for FF 3.0.
I'm new to a game pad. So far only flown with tablet and a normal RC TX Spektrum till I bought the Nvidia Shield to fly my Bebop.
No I think the Shield is natively supported because I have not used any mapping just flies great right out of the box. A couple setting and the joysticks
are recognized and no joysticks on the screen as far as I know. Also is set to RC Mode 2 ie left joystick throttle.
I've only tried flips once just used same setup as FF 2.4.10 double tap screen. Not paid much attention to hover lock.
As I understand this mapping you can do your own mapping move Bebop camera etc. But I may be wrong; just a sort a noob here.
Thanks for your understanding, Carl

Darklo
Just flips over

Post by Darklo » 14 Mar 2015, 22:34

The only reason I've done this was because my Wikipad wasn't supported natively, so I had to trick the app into thinking that Wikipad was a Shield.

If the Shield works natively and flies great out of the box, what exactly are you trying to achieve?

EricTN
Ready for take off

Re: Modified FreeFlight 2.4.10 APK with full controller supp

Post by EricTN » 25 Mar 2015, 15:12

My first thought was to simply increment the version, like 2.4.11, but what if Parrot suddenly releases an update? It would be really confusing.
You could change the version number by adding letters to the version e.g. 2.4.10a, 2.4.10b etc.
I'm currently not seeing any differences in controlling the drone with the new app. My drone stabilized super gooood though.
Also i doubt there will be any more updates from Parrot.

bmccoy11
Newcomer

Post by bmccoy11 » 17 Apr 2015, 04:21

Thanks for this mod! Could you possibly make a version with Material Design, get rid of the annoying splash screen & "rate this app" popup, and nicer elements? The bitmap logos & splash screen look very ugly on my tablet.

Sir_Spanky
Newcomer

Post by Sir_Spanky » 06 May 2015, 18:11

Great Job Thanks !

mital
Newcomer

Post by mital » 09 Aug 2015, 20:57

Thanks!!

It works well with my nexus 7 (unicorn Android 5.1 mod) and an ipega 9023 with x+home (standard Android pad) configuration!

No config made!

Bibendum
Newcomer

Post by Bibendum » 31 Aug 2015, 15:37

You are an absolute champion!

To be honest I only just installed it, but I just tried my PS4 controller and it seemed to control it inside. Full test soon!
My issue was I have a Sony Xperia Z2, so I can use a PS4 controller without having to perform a root or use SIXAXIS Controller app.
That app needed me to root my phone, which I didn't want to do, and now your patch has saved me anymore hassle!

Thank you!

(Now I just need to learn what the buttons do.)

webvan
Ready for take off

Post by webvan » 08 Sep 2015, 12:37

Sounds amazing, thanks, going to see if I can control my AR2 with my PS3 controller !

webvan
Ready for take off

Post by webvan » 09 Sep 2015, 19:02

Well I gave this a try today and it works great ! I had no idea this was possible, let alone available. It took me a bit of time to figure out that you needed to select "left-handed" to get Mode 2 and then explored the other buttons. The "square" button is quite convenient to land and take-off. Will need to explore it more tomorrow. Thanks again for making this available.

The "no hover" mode is interested as I sometimes found with my iPad that when you "let go" of the controls it had strong reactions and could lose altitude quicklly, in "no hover" it "slides" more, which can be dangerous but is more "natural".

kdouglas
Newcomer

Post by kdouglas » 11 Jan 2016, 12:45

Just got a iPega 9023 controller the other day and did a quick test with my AR Drone 2.0 and my android phone last night.

I initially had some issues entering "Pilot mode" when I opened the app and it would stay on the Loading screen, but that seems to be fixed now after a reboot of my phone. I was using flight mode on my phone with wifi and bluetooth turned on just in case, seems to be more reliable when flying the drone.

Big thank you for modifying this app, even after a quick test indoors, the experience controlling with the physical sticks on the iPega are much better than using on-screen controls.

One minor note; The L2/R2 controls for recording and taking a photo didn't seem to work, R1 for switch cameras seems to work though. (I'm not sure what L1 is supposed to do?)

Dirtdroner
Battery Charged

Post by Dirtdroner » 13 Jan 2016, 01:30

I'm brand new at android. How do you install non play store apps? I guess more specifically, how do I install the apk?

Never mind. I just figured it out. Click to download and click to install after allowing non playstore apps in settings.

monsieurmilton
Newcomer

Post by monsieurmilton » 29 Jan 2016, 22:02

just downloading
but even if it doesn't work (be back tomorrow when i'll have tested it) i'm already highly thankful for your work.

Just bought my ar drone 2 and was happy this morning when my ipega controller arrived until...

monsieurmilton
Newcomer

Post by monsieurmilton » 30 Jan 2016, 19:11

just tested it this afternoon and it's amazing how great your mod works.

many many thanks.
i was really ***ed off against Parrot for the lack of professionalism towards their customers -i'm a french one who was happy, for once, to buy something french AND good- and you saved the day with your work !

for the french ones who wanna try it with an Ipega controller, i've made a little jpg for the control board (thank you mital, by the way, i was already sure it wasn't working when i read your message and realise once again i'm too stupid to find something by myself) :

btw
since i'm a indoor/outdoor user and i like to swith easily from sight to screen, i'm definitely pro "absolute control toggle" for the X button...

webvan
Ready for take off

Post by webvan » 30 Jan 2016, 19:28

Yeah nice mod indeed.

Where Parrot really let us down is by not offering a GPS waypoint mode for Smartphones on the AR Drone. Doing it with the PC App is really quite a chore !