AR Drone update with Directors Mode

iOS Apps and Games for the AR.Drone. General iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch discussions.
gymo
Just flips over
Drone Type: Bebop
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: AR Drone update with Directors Mode

Post by gymo » 17 Jun 2013, 20:36

@dragonash Android version is expected sometime September.

@TiggyWiggy a user guide is floating around, once i find a public link i'll post it up.

Nigel

Ruyton
Made it over nextdoor
Drone Type: AR.Drone 2

Post by Ruyton » 17 Jun 2013, 21:07

TiggyWiggy, props not balanced so this could be causing the jello effect. I don't think that the Director mode stabilisation makes this any worse. I'll see if I can upload a video stabilised using external software (Elasty - I've purchased this now).
Gary - Shrewsbury UK

TiggyWiggy
Ready for take off

Post by TiggyWiggy » 17 Jun 2013, 21:32

It's entirely possible that vibration from unbalanced props could cause the jello effect but in my case, there was no perceptible jello effect -- although there could have been some there -- in the original unprocessed video. After post-processing in Director Mode, the effect was very pronounced which means the processing either created the effect, or (more likely) the existing effect was significantly amplified by the processing. In either case, I'm not happy with the results.

YouTube's stabilization option seems to work pretty well with the Drone's video because it doesn't directly modify pixels. It simply rotates/moves the video frame, which is distracting but works nevertheless.

pbody2013
Serious flight time

Post by pbody2013 » 17 Jun 2013, 22:20

TiggyWiggy wrote:It's entirely possible that vibration from unbalanced props could cause the jello effect but in my case, there was no perceptible jello effect -- although there could have been some there -- in the original unprocessed video. After post-processing in Director Mode, the effect was very pronounced which means the processing either created the effect, or (more likely) the existing effect was significantly amplified by the processing. In either case, I'm not happy with the results.

YouTube's stabilization option seems to work pretty well with the Drone's video because it doesn't directly modify pixels. It simply rotates/moves the video frame, which is distracting but works nevertheless.
Oh it's possible alright :lol: Most of us here have experienced it. Big difference in jello. I balance every set before they go on.
"It seems to be flying alright, but it's making a funny noise"

Ruyton
Made it over nextdoor

Post by Ruyton » 18 Jun 2013, 08:56

I have been charged for my 'second' in app purchase of Director Mode. So, I've paid for this in AR.Drone and also in FreeFlightWorld - what a rip off!

All the Apple iTunes links to 'Report a problem' with a purchase only seem to go to a whole load of FAQ's or to the Apple community, and not to Apple or Parrot. What's the best way of raising a complaint about this?
Gary - Shrewsbury UK

mhoppes
Up and hovering

Post by mhoppes » 18 Jun 2013, 11:28

Yes, you have to update your Drone.

Did anyone notice with the new firmware WiFi performance seems poorer than before? Although I'm still getting somewhat usable range, it seems to be reduced from what it was prior to the firmware update.

pbody2013
Serious flight time

Post by pbody2013 » 18 Jun 2013, 20:06

So far I give the Free Flight World a fail. Every time it try and open it it drops the wifi connection, has not opened once on the first try. I then have to go back and reconnect to drone again. Never had that once with any of the other 6 apps I have. I can try 3 times and the go to Drone Control and it opens on frist try every time! Connect, open Drone Control then I can go to Free flight and it will connect, wtf? Nice job Parrot. Oh wait, maybe if I buy director mode that'll fix it, who knows, what a joke. Oh and no flights loading into the Academy of course.

Ruyton
Made it over nextdoor

Post by Ruyton » 20 Jun 2013, 16:13

I got a response of sorts from Parrot support. Not really what I was looking for, just a statement of fact and no sympathy regarding having paid for the Director mode twice!

-----------

Thank you for contacting Parrot.

As you may or may not be aware unfortunately the Freeflight app was removed from the app store due to the need for patent clarification.

Parrot re-submitted Freeflight for the rest of the world some weeks ago and have been awaiting for Apple to approve this, the timeframe of this was unfortunately outside of our control.

In the mean time as scheduled the director mode option was launched and included in the only app that was at the time approved by Apple this being AR Drone.

Kind Regards

Carl Bridgwood
UK Technical Support
Gary - Shrewsbury UK

pbody2013
Serious flight time

Post by pbody2013 » 20 Jun 2013, 16:30

Lame, typical PR jibber jabber.

AR.Tommy
Charged up again

Post by AR.Tommy » 20 Jun 2013, 16:35

Ops, hitting the rescue mode button when it lays on the cluttered desk was not my best idea :mrgreen:
http://www.digitalsirup.com

Sweet and delicious apps for your drones.

pbody2013
Serious flight time

Post by pbody2013 » 20 Jun 2013, 16:40

AR.Tommy wrote:Ops, hitting the rescue mode button when it lays on the cluttered desk was not my best idea :mrgreen:
Haha, yup. I tried but it didn't take off or anything. i think it's actually one of the best features parrot has done with this app. Trees and drones seem to have this uncanny mutual attraction :lol:

Ruyton
Made it over nextdoor

Post by Ruyton » 20 Jun 2013, 18:17

Had another response from Carl at Parrot. He does appreciate the confusion with the apps and the Director mode purchase. I think that I've made my point, so that's the matter closed - water under the bridge, onwards and upwards, etc.

Right, when can I get my hands on the GPS module here in the UK :-)
Gary - Shrewsbury UK

Kyrt
Strange wobble

Post by Kyrt » 20 Jun 2013, 19:19

I also had a reply from Carl, he said they're looking into whether it can be transferred.

I think the "PR jibber jabber" comment is unfair, they're a victim of the timing - obviously they didn't intend for FF to come back immediately after they released director mode, it's outside of their control. Director mode was obviously timed to coincide with the Paris Air Show, and at the time AR.Drone was the app they had to put it in. Since the patent issue blew up I am sure they have been doing what they can to rectify the situation with least disruption to customers, obviously they are not happy that it is happened either. i.e. they got people using AR.Race because this is the quickest thing they could do (no approval), then they release a new app because that was the next quickest, and they submitted a revised FreeFlight, for which we had to wait for Apple to approve.

What they have been really bad at doing is TELLING PEOPLE what they've been doing. I honestly don't understand why companies don't take the time to do this and be open about what they're doing, I really don't see the downside.

pawelsky
Serious flight time

Post by pawelsky » 20 Jun 2013, 19:39

Kyrt wrote:I think the "PR jibber jabber" comment is unfair, they're a victim of the timing
I have to disagree, the only victims here are the ones that have to pay twice because the mess that has been created. There are at least 4 (5 if you include one for AR.Drone 1) versions of the same Parrot app available in the market. That is not a bad timing, that is simply bad management and as you mentioned very bad communication.

And there are a lot of ways to solve this problem, starting from and apology note on the main page, through instructions on how to get refund to coupons for Parrot accessories.

It is not the first time they fail on communication (they are know for being bad on that), but it doesn't mean Parrot is a victim here. They are responsible for this mess.

Kyrt
Strange wobble

Post by Kyrt » 20 Jun 2013, 23:49

I meant that particular comment criticising the customer service guy, and the situation of the new app appearing so close to the update. You can be annoyed at Parrot because for sure they have cocked it up letting it happen, they had ample opportunity to prevent it, and -in general- they are awful in their communicating with customers. I totally agree that they are responsible. But that doesn't make what he said "PR jibber jabber". He might have shown more contrition and said what they are doing to rectify it like he did in his answer to me (I am one of those affected BTW). But he did at least explain what had happened in plain terms. That's all I was disagreeing on, I'm not exactly Parrot's greatest fan at the moment for other reasons.

As I say, what I blame them for is not giving me all the information up front. If they had made it clear that they were releasing director mode for AR.Drone, had re-submitted FreeFlight to Apple with absolute control in it, and would migrate in-app purchases if it was approved by Apple, then I wouldn't have raised a support ticket to complain about it and we wouldn't be talking about it right now :) They must have known it was going to happen and for them to not have a plan for crediting purchases between apps is ludicrous.

But my flights are showing up in the Academy now, what about everyone else's?