Iphone 4 market questions

iOS Apps and Games for the AR.Drone. General iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch discussions.
Nicholi2789
Made it over nextdoor
Drone Type: AR.Drone 2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Iphone 4 market questions

Post by Nicholi2789 » 02 Apr 2013, 05:05

Hey guys, I couldn't really think of anywhere else to ask these questions, and I've met some pretty knowledgable people here so I'm giving it a shot. So i'm usually an Android user. I love Android. But lately I've been contemplating getting an Iphone 4 for the sole purpose of flying my drone. It seems IOS has some really cool flight apps and other features you can use that aren't available on Android. Though, i do love using AR flight pro, I kinda want to get another device to use exclusively with my drone. So I'm kinda trying to get a feel for how the I phone works (never used one) and everything.
I don't plan on hooking the phone up for service on my plan, I was just hoping I could connect to wifi and download the apps without having to hook the phone up. So i guess what I'm asking is; with out being connected to a carrier do you still have access to the Apple store to be able to download apps? Or can you just do it over a wifi connection? Because I don't want to switch from using my Galaxy S3 to an Iphone, and if I cant access the store to download the apps then this whole idea is moot. Anyone got any answers?
Thanks alot
Nick

pbody2013
Serious flight time
Drone Type: Bebop

Re: Iphone 4 market questions

Post by pbody2013 » 02 Apr 2013, 06:17

I guess you haven't noticed, but all the cool apps you are thinking of have been pulled from app store as of today coincidentally. All of AR Tommy's apps have been pulled and Drone Ace as well. So right now it's pretty much Parrots apps :evil:
I don't know how cell plans work where you are. In Canada if you wanted to do that you would have to buy the phone, $700! Carriers will give them to customers for free or in case of iphone 5 $150 or so, if you sign a 3 year contract. I have a 4 and I like it but I'd prefer a bigger screen and ipads are too much money so I'll likely get a Nexus 7 if I go tablet. If you do have to buy the iphone then I think you are better off getting a Nexus 7, much bigger screen and you already have the app. I'm not the expert on cell plans and setups but I don't think it's worth your while presently. Check with your local service providers though to be sure of the options.
Funny an android user looking at iOS and vice versa :)
"It seems to be flying alright, but it's making a funny noise"

Nicholi2789
Made it over nextdoor

Post by Nicholi2789 » 02 Apr 2013, 06:20

I'm not planning on buying it. I know someone who has an old i phone 4 that I might get for free. Believe me if I had the money the Nexus 7 would be what I would get. I've been drooling over it for so long. That would be my ideal flying setup but alas, i don't have 250$ to buy one. I was just thinking the I phone 4 cause its free and because I've never tried Parrots IOS app.

DAT510
Ready for take off

Post by DAT510 » 02 Apr 2013, 06:23

You don't have to have a contract with an iPhone. Though if you purchase one new from Apple will require a contract before you can leave the store if you purchase a subsidized model. If its an unlocked version it will be ~$300 more than the subsidized price. Or you could purchase a used one off contract.

An easier way might be to purchase an iPod Touch. It's effectively an iPhone without the phone. It has wifi and you have full access to the AppStore.

Given in the last few days FreeFlight 2.0, Drone Ace, and just today Drone Control have all been pulled from the AppStore, you may want to wait until their respective developers are able to get their apps back up or there may not be available the apps you were hoping for.
DAT510

AR Drone 2.0 (FW 2.3.3)
Drone Control
Drone Ace
60Beat Gamepad

pbody2013
Serious flight time

Post by pbody2013 » 02 Apr 2013, 06:31

Ok cool. Well if you could get Drone Control or Drone Ace then it may be worth trying out. They are the best iOS apps. I don't see why you couldn't plug the phone in, download the apps and go. It's using wifi so I don't think it would need to be activated. If you can get the phone maybe try to see if it works. The parrot apps are fine but they are very bare compared to the above two and even those don't have the abilities of ARDF Pro. From what I've seen it's the best overall app.

pbody2013
Serious flight time

Post by pbody2013 » 02 Apr 2013, 06:35

DAT510 wrote:You don't have to have a contract with an iPhone. Though if you purchase one new from Apple will require a contract before you can leave the store if you purchase a subsidized model. If its an unlocked version it will be ~$300 more than the subsidized price. Or you could purchase a used one off contract.

An easier way might be to purchase an iPod Touch. It's effectively an iPhone without the phone. It has wifi and you have full access to the AppStore.

Given in the last few days FreeFlight 2.0, Drone Ace, and just today Drone Control have all been pulled from the AppStore, you may want to wait until their respective developers are able to get their apps back up or there may not be available the apps you were hoping for.
You got that right, you're lucky to have the two best iOS app. Damn happy I have Drone Control, for now anyway. What a piss off this whole thing is.

DAT510
Ready for take off

Post by DAT510 » 02 Apr 2013, 06:35

Oops, I kind of missed the original reason for posting. Yes, an iPhone will still work without a carrier contract. The wifi still works and you will have complete access to the AppStore. People often give their old iPhones to their kids without a carrier contract, effectively making it an iPod Touch.
DAT510

AR Drone 2.0 (FW 2.3.3)
Drone Control
Drone Ace
60Beat Gamepad