Drone Control HD for iPad BUG !!!!!!

iOS Apps and Games for the AR.Drone. General iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch discussions.
pr0xyfl00d3r
Ready for take off

Drone Control HD for iPad BUG !!!!!!

Post by pr0xyfl00d3r » 26 May 2012, 19:51

why does the app cut the motors if the angle of attack is to much? cos it just caused mine to fall out the sky from about 40m and caused me £65 worth of damage!!! why not just override and recover its self if it detect it mite loose control!!! the amount of senors the drone is well capable of doin it...

in the mean time peeps i wud use with caution and fly no higher than 2-3m with this app till this bug is sorted

just miffed me right of when the software cut the power and saw it just fall out the sky when it was in no danager :(

ShellDude
Batterys getting low
Drone Type: Bebop

Re: Drone Control HD for iPad BUG !!!!!!

Post by ShellDude » 26 May 2012, 20:39

Wasn't DC... your drone committed suicide.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

pr0xyfl00d3r
Ready for take off

Post by pr0xyfl00d3r » 26 May 2012, 20:41

how, the drone was coming to a stop, and DC sed it was to much attack angle and switched motors off

szuu
Strange wobble

Post by szuu » 26 May 2012, 21:13

seriously - this is not DC's fault, that's how the parrot's firmware works.
i wonder if they are going to change this behavior, there is so much criticism on this subject recently.

it happened to me at least twice, and in both cases the drone would crash anyway (while trying to level) even if the engines were not stopped.
the main cause was weak battery and the drone trying to stop moving at all cost :P

if parrot won't fix it, i'm going to see if my method (that allowed me to flip the 1.0 drone) could be also used to protect from unwanted engine cut off.
if, in your case, it happens in response to the drone-induced "twitch" (when the drone strives to halt immediately), this can be alleviated by changing the PID gain parameters, this is officially supported by the drone firmware and could be done in any application (but you pay the price - the hover behavior becomes less precise)
if, in turn, it happens when flying high (so it's not because the drone is seeing things in the bottom camera) and it tilts because of the wind then the gain method won't be effective and you have to wait for the "hacked" solution (or the parrot's mercy).

pr0xyfl00d3r
Ready for take off

Post by pr0xyfl00d3r » 26 May 2012, 21:30

Ok but it's still stupid...... It was at enuff altitude for the drone to recover its self :(

Maybe they do it so we have to buy the parts which ain't cheap

AR.Tommy
Charged up again
Drone Type: Bebop

Post by AR.Tommy » 26 May 2012, 22:19

Hello,

the "too much angel"-emergency (along with other emergencies) is always sent by the firmware not by the app.
http://www.digitalsirup.com

Sweet and delicious apps for your drones.

matrix961
Strange wobble
Drone Type: AR.Drone 2

Post by matrix961 » 27 May 2012, 01:53

When you guys are seeing this happen are you flying outside with the default settings? No changes to climb rate, yaw, or tilt?

I'm asking because every time I fly with defaults the drone seems to take those settings and apply the max to them which makes it twitchy at times.

I've reduced my outdoors settings for now and it seems to calm it down quite a bit.

I thought the drone had it's own settings for these when going into autopilot but it seems that it just uses what you have set. That's what I'm seeing anyways.

deanes
Thinking of bearings
Drone Type: AR.Drone

Post by deanes » 27 May 2012, 03:54

The quickest way to stop that behavior is to blind (tape over) the bottom camera. You won't have position hold, and will have to continually fly it, but it will not jerk, trying to find its position. Nice easy stops and direction changes.

pr0xyfl00d3r
Ready for take off

Post by pr0xyfl00d3r » 27 May 2012, 19:39

matrix961 wrote:When you guys are seeing this happen are you flying outside with the default settings? No changes to climb rate, yaw, or tilt?

I'm asking because every time I fly with defaults the drone seems to take those settings and apply the max to them which makes it twitchy at times.

I've reduced my outdoors settings for now and it seems to calm it down quite a bit.

I thought the drone had it's own settings for these when going into autopilot but it seems that it just uses what you have set. That's what I'm seeing anyways.
i used outside settings on all, but when i get the motor sorted i will try wot u did :)

Grump
Just flips over

Post by Grump » 29 May 2012, 07:37

deanes wrote:The quickest way to stop that behavior is to blind (tape over) the bottom camera. You won't have position hold, and will have to continually fly it, but it will not jerk, trying to find its position. Nice easy stops and direction changes.
Yup, that's what I did. Since I'm a night time flyer, slowing to a stop meant the drone would flip backwards trying to lock on to it's own shadow under the streetlight. A little e-tape over the bottom camera and it hasn't happened since.