Linux (Ubuntu) SDK Example Walkthrough.

Parrot SDK, Linux SDK, Java, PC, Mac, scripts for Parrot drones... etc.
NuttyProfessor
Ready for take off

Re: SDK Example Walkthrough.

Post by NuttyProfessor » 07 Oct 2010, 17:46

Thanks again, man! I actually implemented that part already from your step-by-step VB post (http://www.ardrone-flyers.com/forum/vie ... p?f=8&t=86). So what I think is happening now is bad WiFi connectivity in our building, where we have other, stronger routers stepping on the drone's ad-hoc network. Evidence: we can only connect from the iPhone on about 1/3 of attempts (same deal: iPhone WiFi widget shows connection to the drone with correct IP address, but app craps out on launch). Others have complained about similar behavior on iPhone. Parrot advises shutting off all other WiFi, but that would probably get me fired! ;^)

Anyway, we're more familiar with VMWare Fusion and will probably go that route for the virtualization. My real task is to figure out the compiler problems on Fedora 13, Fedora being the version of Linux we use here. I wish the Parrot guys had just posted or provided a little hello-word kinda C program that would work on any platform!

So many moving parts ... I appreciate your help and hope to be able to contribute tips of my own at some point. Will post as soon as we have any more progress / info.

NuttyProfessor
Ready for take off

Post by NuttyProfessor » 12 Oct 2010, 18:55

It works! Problem was using 64-bit instead of 32-bit Linux. I can now run the ardone_navigation app on 32-bit Fedora 13. I also had to patch Examples/Linux/Navigation/Build/Makefile as shown here: http://www.cs.wlu.edu/~levy/drone/Makefile (look for sdl to see my patches), because gcc wasn't automatically linking to some libraries. I also had to download wireless tools (sudo yum install wireless-tools-devel), and other Fedora users may also need other packages like ncurses-devel. But I'm on my way to developing my own AR.Drone applications on Linux!

Thanks for your help and patience, daveyoi.

Symon
Site Admin
Drone Type: Jumping Sumo

Post by Symon » 13 Oct 2010, 00:06

Have you or anyone else looked into the Win32 demo within SDK 1.5? I had a quick look today during my lunchtime at work. There's a whole installation guide included.
Has anyone compiled this version yet?

NuttyProfessor
Ready for take off

Post by NuttyProfessor » 13 Oct 2010, 22:29

I'm strictly Unix (Linux / OS X), but I'll be interested in seeing whether anyone gets this working on Windows ... esp. with the new WIndows Phone 7.

I did just take manage to do a takeoff using Zenocha's joystick instructions with my Logitch joystick, so thanks again guys for a great forum!

Symon
Site Admin

Post by Symon » 16 Oct 2010, 17:45

GreenTwig
Ready for take off

Post by GreenTwig » 23 Oct 2010, 03:28

Hey!

Thanks for the info on how to get it all going.

I'm just waiting for my mate to bring over his PS3 controller to get it going. In the mean time I'm working out how to also get the controller to connect up via BlueTooth. I'll let you know if I have any success with QtSixA (http://qtsixa.sourceforge.net/).

In the mean time is there a doco i can read up on how the controls work for the PS3 Controller as well as how I bring up the video for it?

I've seen some YouTube videos of people doing this so I'd like to get that going too.

Thanks heaps!

Rolly :mrgreen:

GreenTwig
Ready for take off

Post by GreenTwig » 29 Oct 2010, 12:49

ok after a quiet Friday night at home (knee reconstructions tend to do that), I decided to give this a real go.

Firstly thanks goes to daveyoi for getting me interested and getting me started along this journey and thank you to zenocha for pointing me in the right direction for the configuring the PS3 controller.

I got it going and I must say it is heaps easier to fly with 2 real joysticks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sttg1TsAeWw One handed flying is a bit hard ;)

Obviously this is very early days and I'd like to move onto getting video, setting trim and seeing battery life, but now I know how it all fits together it will help me along the way :mrgreen:

NuttyProfessor
Ready for take off

Re: Linux (Ubuntu) SDK Example Walkthrough.

Post by NuttyProfessor » 01 Nov 2010, 20:29

Hi AR.Drone Linux gang,

I'm making great progress writing my own standalone "autopilot" application, hoping to post a video soon. Meanwhile, has anyone had any success at adding a "quit button" feature to any of the Linux demo apps? The only way I can exit the program is via CTRL-C, which is kind of the "nuclear option". The demo code released by parrot uses an ihm_exit_program variable to track when the user wants to exit, but whenever I try to use this variable to exit the program, I get some low-level memory problems (freeing memory incorrectly). I think this has something to do with the way threads work in ARDroneLib, but I'm not sure yet.

Thanks!

-- Nutty Professor Simon

nogero
Ready for take off

Post by nogero » 04 Nov 2010, 00:34

I got the ardrone_navigation example to compile and run perfectly following the guide in this post. It is great using a joystick, far better than my iPhone IMHO. I buzzed indoors today and tomorrow I'll take it out for a fly. I know I still have a lot of code reading to understand how it all works, but is there an easy way to record the video on my Ubuntu 10.04 laptop? I got the video up using the "Vision Image" checkbox, but it didn't appear obvious how to record unless that is what "raw capture" does.

urban123
Battery Charged

Post by urban123 » 15 Nov 2010, 20:49

Hey,

How do i install these packages?
apt-get install libgtk2.0-dev
apt-get install libsdl1.2-dev
apt-get install libiw-dev

Kind regards

Symon
Site Admin

Post by Symon » 16 Nov 2010, 01:03

The following is a command: apt-get
Launches a fetch from known repository.
The 'install' switch does just that, installs.
The files are the lib's.

The standard Ubuntu install will allow these to install.

just type them in the terminal.

urban123
Battery Charged

Post by urban123 » 18 Nov 2010, 21:06

Symon wrote:The following is a command: apt-get
Launches a fetch from known repository.
The 'install' switch does just that, installs.
The files are the lib's.

The standard Ubuntu install will allow these to install.

just type them in the terminal.
If i put these commands in The terminal It doesnt work
It says i'm not allowed to enter THE root

Symon
Site Admin

Post by Symon » 18 Nov 2010, 21:38

Type in the following

sudo su

Then enter your password for Root access. then follow the commands.

calypso
Ready for take off

Post by calypso » 23 Nov 2010, 21:29

Anyone working on an altered interface for the SDK?

nogero
Ready for take off

Post by nogero » 24 Nov 2010, 20:10

Calypso, there is quite a bit of work on the SDK/API on this site: https://projects.ardrone.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;