ArDrone Controller - Control your drone with a joystick

Parrot SDK, Linux SDK, Java, PC, Mac, scripts for Parrot drones... etc.
pawelsky
Serious flight time
Drone Type: Bebop

Re: ArDrone Controller - Control your drone with a joystick

Post by pawelsky » 07 Oct 2013, 21:23

LeFrenchie wrote:@pawelsky: Already some result with the ar drone 2 ? I'm still hoping that it does not have the same effect
No, my mainboard died, waiting for replacement :(

LeFrenchie
Ready for take off
Drone Type: AR.Drone 2

Post by LeFrenchie » 22 May 2014, 22:20

Hi all,

Just a little update for the version 1.5.3 ;-)

Have fun with it !
LeFrenchie

CTaddey
Just flips over

Re: ArDrone Controller - Control your AR.AR.Drone with a joy

Post by CTaddey » 16 Apr 2015, 17:07

This program looks good! I'll give it a try.
I haven't flown my drone in quite a while -_-

LeFrenchie
Ready for take off

Re: ArDrone Controller - Control your AR.Drone with a joysti

Post by LeFrenchie » 24 Apr 2015, 10:16

Hello,

A new version is available : 1.6.0
(see the first post on the topic to get the link)

A return to Home based on GPS has been added. It is also possible now to record on usb and pc, or only to pc, even if an usb key (or the flight controller) is plugged.

The experiemental RC mod support has been removed.

Colonel
Battery Charged

Post by Colonel » 25 Apr 2015, 16:44

Hi. I am new to this forum and new (very) to flying drones - I have an AR Drone 2.
I have crashed it twice, mainly due to losing track of where my thumbs are on the smart phone or the tablet (I have tried both).
Now it is repaired (!) I would like to avoid this lack of precision by using joysticks. But don't baffle me with electronics and programs. Is it not possible to buy a ready to go Android (I know that much!) game controller? I gather the Nvidia Shield is a good candidate, but not plug and go. Can anyone advise?

appleslizer6
Just flips over

Post by appleslizer6 » 26 Apr 2015, 21:39

Colonel wrote:Hi. I am new to this forum and new (very) to flying drones - I have an AR AR.Drone 2.
I have crashed it twice, mainly due to losing track of where my thumbs are on the smart phone or the tablet (I have tried both).
Now it is repaired (!) I would like to avoid this lack of precision by using joysticks. But don't baffle me with electronics and programs. Is it not possible to buy a ready to go Android (I know that much!) game controller? I gather the Nvidia Shield is a good candidate, but not plug and go. Can anyone advise?
You can buy an xbox 360 controller, but will need to use software, and the same goes with a PS3 controller as well. There are these game controllers called MOGA controllers but are a bit expensive, but they do work. Just google them to check them out.
- Alex

Colonel
Battery Charged

Post by Colonel » 30 Apr 2015, 17:28

Thanks Alex. Would it be as simple as just loading a software package onto the game controller? Where will I find the package?? :?
David

appleslizer6
Just flips over

Post by appleslizer6 » 01 May 2015, 05:06

So I looked more into it and here is a video using this controller.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=190&v=hRbgSsgXLPk
The only issue ive had is that the Drone Control doesn't seem to really work with my drone that well. But other options are downloading software like this one used in this thread. I have had past experiences with the xbox 360 controller and it works okayish, but the main issue it seems is to be more of the software. For example when you go forward on the xbox 30 controller for pretty much all the software I have used it makes the drone go forward at full speed, there is no speed control but just max speed. I have not tried this software yet with an xbox 360 controller or a joystick but will try this weekend.
- Alex

Colonel
Battery Charged

Post by Colonel » 02 May 2015, 18:27

I have acquired an Xbox 360 controller, in fact two of them. Children do have their uses!
Is anyone out there willing to take me through how to load what onto it? And with over a dozen knobs/buttons on it, I will have to know what does what! :?

Colonel
Battery Charged

Post by Colonel » 09 May 2015, 12:14

Are there no Samaritans out there?? : )

appleslizer6
Just flips over

Post by appleslizer6 » 10 May 2015, 00:43

Okay, so I've been having issues using this software for using an xbox 360 controller, and a Logitech extreme 3D pro. The logs say that both of the controllers have been recognized but I get no input when configuring them or attempting to fly with them. On Colonel's side, there is this other software called Autoflight, now I haven't tried using a controller with this yet because the weather outside for the past 2 weeks has been like Niagara falls, but it works with a keyboard and you get video feed. You can download it here: http://lbpclabs.com/autoflight/. The software lets me configure an xbox 360 controller but I haven't tested it out yet so fingers crossed.
- Alex

Colonel
Battery Charged

Post by Colonel » 10 May 2015, 08:03

Good luck. I await your report with interest!

appleslizer6
Just flips over

Post by appleslizer6 » 05 Jun 2015, 00:53

Ok, so finally once I got some time and the weather calmed down, I did some testing. The previous software I suggested, AutoFlight, works okayish. I wouldn't recommend it because the software gets weird with controllers. It's hard to explain but you will always be moving with an xbox 360 controller using it, its impossible to hover or stay still. It also seems to like to drop when using that software and I also did not get any readings like battery%, altitude, speed, etc. So that software is a no go, and I have yet to find software that works with an xbox 360 controller and relays all the other information. So what I would do is there are on screen buttons to attach to touchscreens and so you can buy buttons and joysticks that stick to your phones screen and do that. Or use this http://www.amazon.com/Power-Series-Mobi ... _107_img_y, and its in sale right now $60 off. However, this phone gamepad can only use an iPhone 5, iPod 5, or higher with atleast ios7 or higher.
- Alex

ricky_graber
Newcomer

Post by ricky_graber » 17 Nov 2015, 22:36

Great work to the creator, LeFrenchie?, for this application.
I found Autoflight and WinArDrone with quick google searches, but never got them working properly so the search was on for something else. Luckily, I stumbled onto ArDrone Controller which from what I've seen so far is great. The only thing I've noticed is the altitude on the bottom of the screen stays at 0, indoors at least. As soon as the rain moves through I will try it outdoors and get to greater heights.

AR Parrot 2.0 (latest firmware)
ArDrone Controller 1.6.0
Windows 7 laptop
xbox 360 controller (wired)
Rosewill RNX-N150HG or awus036h (external antennas for range)

Ricky