$200 prize for whoever can make this mod

Parrot SDK, Linux SDK, Java, PC, Mac, scripts for Parrot drones... etc.
Schlauncha
Charged up again
Drone Type: AR.Drone 2

Re: $200 prize for whoever can make this mod

Post by Schlauncha » 06 Oct 2013, 15:56

Too high of a TGAIN value also will put it on the ceiling, more than anything I would think. It's better to start with it low and slowly increase it in increments. IE, you hit launch, it sits there for more than the brief moment a normal AR Drone will spin the motors before taking off, and if it's still there on the ground after when it should be in the air by now, Emergency it and then increase your TGAIN value and repeat. If it goes straight to the ceiling, your TGAIN value is way too high. And also you should be doing this outdoors for safety (and ready to hit Emergency to drop it if it's headed wildly for the sky).

pawelsky
Serious flight time
Drone Type: Bebop

Post by pawelsky » 06 Oct 2013, 22:04

dm2saw wrote:I´ve a different motor. There are 3 x 1000 KV and one 1250 KV motor.
Are you sure it is different motor? Maybe your ESCs are not calibrated equally?

dm2saw
Ready for take off

Post by dm2saw » 07 Oct 2013, 14:22

Schlauncha wrote:Too high of a TGAIN value also will put it on the ceiling, more than anything I would think. It's better to start with it low and slowly increase it in increments. IE, you hit launch, it sits there for more than the brief moment a normal AR Drone will spin the motors before taking off, and if it's still there on the ground after when it should be in the air by now, Emergency it and then increase your TGAIN value and repeat. If it goes straight to the ceiling, your TGAIN value is way too high. And also you should be doing this outdoors for safety (and ready to hit Emergency to drop it if it's headed wildly for the sky).
Yes... i´m with u mind... My first try was without Trim Poti´s and TGAIN and so on to 1.0f ..
Then i´ve try it with 0.5f at all .. And increase it to 0.6 then 0.7 and at last 0.8 for all ... because i´ve see the Drone beginn with twisting at the short fly to my ceiling.. But at 0.8 i´ve burn up on of my AR-Drone motor boards ... It was my own fault.

So the next try is with 0.8f for all Gains .. If i hav a the basic settings and the Drone is hovering then i can begin with fine tuning ..

When i try it indoor i pull on my heavy winter jacket and standing behind a door in a secound room.. It´s just for the basic setup. Its my bed room over my bed that the drone can crash in to it..

After this i hope i can use a big hall at my work ... But the ceiling there are 15 to 20 meters high.. If the Drone suck up to this ceiling, i´ve a problem ... and Emergency cut off isn´t a solution ...
pawelsky wrote:Are you sure it is different motor? Maybe your ESCs are not calibrated equally?
Yes .. i think it too and repeated the calibration 3 ore 4 times... every time the same... I hav used your Calib Sketch for spinning test to take all erros out . After Calibration spinningtest and i have let me take out the current PWM pulse via Serial... and all 3 Motor´s the same ... and the last one spinns higher .. i can hear it ..
The spinningtest sketch is endless and i´ve changed the Motor to an other Output .. and the same ...

Code: Select all

// Pawelsky 20130616
// Note that this code is experimental, it may behave unexpectedly and cause potential damage (spinning props can be dangerous)!
// USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!
#include <Servo.h> 

// The ESC MIN/MAX PULSE values should be the same as in your armotor.ino sketch
#define ESC_MIN_PULSE 1000 // should be low enough to fully stop the motor
#define ESC_MAX_PULSE 2000

uint8_t  motorPin[4] = {9, 10, 11, 12};  // FL, FR, RR, FL - DO NOT USE PIN 13! It is used to drive the LED
Servo    motor[4];

void setup()
{
  Serial.begin(9600);
  Serial.print("This program will calibrate your ESCs to a "); Serial.print(ESC_MIN_PULSE); Serial.print("us to "); Serial.print(ESC_MAX_PULSE); Serial.println("us range");
  Serial.println("It assumes the following calibration procedure:");
  Serial.println("- set the max value");
  Serial.println("- power ESCs");
  Serial.println("- ESC acknowledges that the max value has been stored (how? - refer to your ESC's manual)");
  Serial.println("- set the min value");
  Serial.println("- ESC acknowledges that the min value has been stored (how? - refer to your ESC's manual)");
  Serial.println("- calibration done");
  Serial.println("Note that this procedure may not work for all ESCs");
  Serial.println("");
  Serial.println("DISCONNECT THE SERIAL LINES FROM ARDRONE. DO NOT POWER THE ESCs YET!");
  Serial.println("MAKE SURE YOUR PROPS ARE REMOVED! THIS PROGRAM MAY SPIN THE MOTORS AT FULL SPEED CAUSING SERIOUS INJURY!!!");
  Serial.println("");
  Serial.println("Press any key (or click Send if you are using ArduinoIDE Serial Monitor) to set the ESC to MAX value");
  while(Serial.available() > 0) Serial.read(); // Flush the serial buffer
  while(Serial.available() == 0);
  for(int i = 0; i < 4; i++)
  {
    motor[i].attach(motorPin[i], ESC_MIN_PULSE, ESC_MAX_PULSE);
    motor[i].writeMicroseconds(ESC_MAX_PULSE);
  }
  Serial.println("");
  Serial.println("Now power the ESC and wait until the max value is accepted...");
  Serial.println("...and after that press any key (or click Send if you are using ArduinoIDE Serial Monitor) to set the ESC to MIN value");
  while(Serial.available() > 0) Serial.read(); // Flush the serial buffer
  while(Serial.available() == 0);
  for(int i = 0; i < 4; i++)
  {
    motor[i].writeMicroseconds(ESC_MIN_PULSE);
  }
  Serial.println("");
  Serial.println("Now wait until the min value is accepted after which your ESCs will be calibrated");

}

void loop()
{
  delay(15000);
  for(int i = 0; i < 4; i++){
    for(int k = 1000; k <= 2000; k++){
      motor[i].writeMicroseconds(k);
      Serial.println(k);
      delay(10);

}
  motor[i].writeMicroseconds(ESC_MIN_PULSE);
  delay(2000);
}
  // intentionally left empty
}
At last i´ve check the tiny sticker on the motors ... and ........ 3 x 1000 and 1x 1250 ....... one Motor has an other sticker but i thought nothing of it.

But i think that was a good first testfly with taht problem... the drone is climb strait up and don´t do a "Crasy Ivan" :D ..

ALso i read some about Ardupilot... It´s a very nice thing .. I like the follow me and return home funktion .. it also has a cam stabilization controll system or ground station antenna tracker system. ... Later i ´ll combinate bothe together ... My idea is. to change the controller in fly .. With a bypass in Ardupilot , in Pawelsky´s Sketch or use the Miru Mod to get the clean controll signals from Ardupilot to Ar Drone ....
But later ...
First i´ve bring the Drone with this Mod to fly ..

pawelsky
Serious flight time

Post by pawelsky » 07 Oct 2013, 18:58

dm2saw wrote:i´ve changed the Motor to an other Output .. and the same ...
OK, then it is definitely a different motor. :(

dm2saw
Ready for take off

Post by dm2saw » 20 Oct 2013, 16:24

Yiiiihhhaaaa... success !!!

I´ve test it indoor again with GAIN´s at all 0.8f ...
She has hoovering nice .. with a little oscillation .... But it was only a test for a few secounds because there isn´t too much space indoor for the Drone..

At next i´ll test it outdoor... I think i reduce the Gain´s to 0.75 and look what happens .. I think Gains between 0.75 and 0.8 are ok for my Frankendrone ...

So.. thanx again for this Mod and support me ... I´ll post a Video at next time ...

pawelsky
Serious flight time

Post by pawelsky » 20 Oct 2013, 16:31

dm2saw wrote:Yiiiihhhaaaa... success !!!

I´ve test it indoor again with GAIN´s at all 0.8f ...
She has hoovering nice .. with a little oscillation .... But it was only a test for a few secounds because there isn´t too much space indoor for the Drone..

At next i´ll test it outdoor... I think i reduce the Gain´s to 0.75 and look what happens .. I think Gains between 0.75 and 0.8 are ok for my Frankendrone ...

So.. thanx again for this Mod and support me ... I´ll post a Video at next time ...
Congrats! Waiting for the video...

Ke10g
Newcomer

Post by Ke10g » 25 Dec 2013, 22:12

Guys, excellent work on this project. Congratulations.

Any updates on this since October?

I'm really interested in trying this out. However my only experience with quad copters is the ar drone itself, and I'm having trouble figuring out exactly what I need to order, parts wise.

So, I'm wondering if someone could put together a wiki of some kind, like a repository for the circuits, wiring diagrams, arduino sketches, and part combinations (with links to places where they can be ordered). This could foster more collaboration on the project. Right now to get into it we have to read through 25 pages of casually written posts.

Any one up to it?

ShellDude
Batterys getting low

Post by ShellDude » 10 Jan 2014, 04:01

Not 100% on topic, but worthwhile nonetheless.

I call it "spinmotor.sh":

syntax:

# spinmotor <device path> <motor # or all> <kill> <restart>
example:

./spinmotor.sh /dev/ttyO0 1 kill; ./spinmotor.sh /dev/ttyO0 2; ./spinmotor.sh /dev/ttyO0 3; ./spinmotor.sh /dev/ttyO0 4; ./spinmotor.sh /dev/ttyO0 all kill restart

#!/bin/sh
#
# motor spin up - SMS 
#

if [ "$3" = "kill" ]
then
   echo "killing program.elf"
   kk
   killall program.elf.respawner.sh
   killall program.elf
   sleep 1
fi

#set baud rate
stty -F $1 115200

#reset IRQ flipflop - on error 106 read 1, this code resets 106 to 0
gpio 106 -d i
gpio 107 -d ho 0
gpio 107 -d ho 1

#all select lines inactive
gpio 68 -d ho 1
gpio 69 -d ho 1
gpio 70 -d ho 1
gpio 72 -d ho 1

#configure motor1
gpio 68 -d i
echo -en "\xe0" > $1
usleep 100
echo -en "\x01" > $1
usleep 100
echo -en "\x40" > $1
usleep 100
gpio 68 -d ho 1

#configure motor2
gpio 69 -d i
echo -en "\xe0" > $1
usleep 100
echo -en "\x02" > $1
usleep 100
echo -en "\x40" > $1
usleep 100
gpio 69 -d ho 1

#configure motor3
gpio 70 -d i
echo -en "\xe0" > $1
usleep 100
echo -en "\x03" > $1
usleep 100
echo -en "\x40" > $1
usleep 100
gpio 70 -d ho 1

#configure motor4
gpio 71 -d i
echo -en "\xe0" > $1
usleep 100
echo -en "\x04" > $1
usleep 100
echo -en "\x40" > $1
usleep 100
gpio 71 -d ho 1

#all select lines active
gpio 68 -d i
gpio 69 -d i
gpio 70 -d i
gpio 71 -d i

#start multicast
echo -en "\xa0" > $1
usleep 100
echo -en "\xa0" > $1
usleep 100
echo -en "\xa0" > $1
usleep 100
echo -en "\xa0" > $1
usleep 100
echo -en "\xa0" > $1
usleep 100
echo -en "\xa0" > $1
usleep 100

#reset IRQ flipflop - on error 106 read 1, this code resets 106 to 0
gpio 106 -d i
gpio 107 -d ho 0
gpio 107 -d ho 1

if [ "$2" = "" ] || [ "$2" = "all" ]
then
   cmd=5
else
   cmd=$2
fi

if [ $cmd -eq 1 ] 
then 
   hex="\x20\x20\x00\x00\x00"
fi

if [ $cmd -eq 2 ] 
then 
   hex="\x20\x00\x10\x00\x00"
fi

if [ $cmd -eq 3 ] 
then 
   hex="\x20\x00\x00\x08\x00"
fi

if [ $cmd -eq 4 ] 
then 
   hex="\x20\x00\x00\x00\x04"
fi

if [ $cmd -eq 5 ] 
then 
   hex="\x20\x20\x10\x08\x04"
fi

T="$(date +%s)"
E=0

echo "sending: $hex"

#multicast loop

while [ $E -lt 5 ]
do

echo -en "$hex" >$1
usleep 5000

E="$(($(date +%s)-T))"

done

if [ "$4" = "restart" ] 
then
   echo "restarting program.elf"
   sleep 1
   /bin/program.elf -360p.slices 0 -live.tcp -emergency.restart &
#   sleep 1
#   /bin/program.elf.respawner.sh -360p.slices 0 -live.tcp &
fi
Inspired by http://blog.perquin.com/blog/ardrone-motor-controller/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which links back to this thread :)

petersonO1
Newcomer
Drone Type: Rolling Spider

Post by petersonO1 » 27 Feb 2014, 06:35

Solution of your problem is available i have also face this problem and getting the solution of it from South Ocean Sensor - Load Cells & Sensors Manufacturer. I have trust on this company cause they solve my problem in quick time.
___________ 1 2 3 goooooooo__________

coolbasha
Newcomer

Post by coolbasha » 25 Mar 2014, 17:25

Schlauncha wrote:
Direct link: http://www.youtube.com/v/XL-krUa-uTM

which sketch did u use here

Schlauncha
Charged up again

Post by Schlauncha » 25 Mar 2014, 18:04

kaosun
Newcomer

Post by kaosun » 02 Apr 2014, 19:15

Hi guys!
I'm using Pawelsky20130616 file to testing my Ar-drone 2.0. Now I fixed it(without pros and everything has been modified by this thread) underneath my Tarot 650 quadcopter. The motors are Sunnysky 4108 380KV with 15" carbon props, also 20A hobbywing ESCs.

I got some questions here:
1: When booting, the 4 LEDs on the arms keep red. 5 out 10 they can turn green to be ready to fly. How can I handle this problem to ensure it can be ready every time?

2: After pressing "take off", I found the speed of 4 motors are different. The front two motors run fine, but the rear two seem run intermittent. I've confirmed all motors and ESCs are fine by using DJI NAZA V2 controller. I'm wondering how to adjust the four potentiometers to improve its behavior? I didn't change anything of the sketch and place the potentiometers at middle.

3: My quadcopter is low speed motor with great torque, how can I reduce the speed of overall motors?

Thanks in advance!!

yellowboy63
Thinking of bearings

Post by yellowboy63 » 02 Apr 2014, 22:58

not sure on question 1 but question 2, Did you calibrate ESC's? Check page 18 for calibration sketch. For question 3, Try reducing TGAIN.

kaosun wrote:Hi guys!
I'm using Pawelsky20130616 file to testing my Ar-drone 2.0. Now I fixed it(without pros and everything has been modified by this thread) underneath my Tarot 650 quadcopter. The motors are Sunnysky 4108 380KV with 15" carbon props, also 20A hobbywing ESCs.

I got some questions here:
1: When booting, the 4 LEDs on the arms keep red. 5 out 10 they can turn green to be ready to fly. How can I handle this problem to ensure it can be ready every time?

2: After pressing "take off", I found the speed of 4 motors are different. The front two motors run fine, but the rear two seem run intermittent. I've confirmed all motors and ESCs are fine by using DJI NAZA V2 controller. I'm wondering how to adjust the four potentiometers to improve its behavior? I didn't change anything of the sketch and place the potentiometers at middle.

3: My quadcopter is low speed motor with great torque, how can I reduce the speed of overall motors

Thanks in advance!!
[/quote]

kaosun
Newcomer

Post by kaosun » 02 Apr 2014, 23:37

yellowboy63 wrote:not sure on question 1 but question 2, Did you calibrate ESC's? Check page 18 for calibration sketch. For question 3, Try reducing TGAIN.
I did calibrate them before flying by using the calibration sketch provided in 20130616 files.

I crashed my Tarot 650 in the morning and lost 2 carbon props...

kaosun
Newcomer

Post by kaosun » 10 Apr 2014, 22:08

Hi guys,
How can we adjust the 4 potentiomenters? It's really dangerous before everything is well adjusted!