Viewing the drone's camera on linux / windows w/o app

Parrot SDK, Linux SDK, Java, PC, Mac, scripts for Parrot drones... etc.
blackhawkrob
Ready for take off
Drone Type: AR.Drone 2

Viewing the drone's camera on linux / windows w/o app

Post by blackhawkrob » 16 Jan 2013, 17:15

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to share this.

If you want to view the camera of the drone without any application, here's your solution:

Download FFMPEG: http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (install winrar or 7zip to extract)

Put the FFMPEG, FFPLAY and the other one in a folder you can easily remember (e.g. C:\ffmpeg\ )

Now connect to your drone via WiFi, and execute this command on your PC (START+R)

Code: Select all

c:\ffmpeg\ffplay tcp://192.168.1.1:5555
This starts the ffmpeg player on the TCP stream of your drone. After a few seconds you' ll start to see the video stream. Latency is awful, but who cares.

By some tweaking you might also be able to stream this live, setup a webserver, screenshot every second or simply record to your PC. You'll just have to find some FFMPEG commands (its a HUGE program)

Have fun!

bstrippy
Chased the cat

Re: Viewing the drone's camera on linux / windows w/o app

Post by bstrippy » 16 Jan 2013, 17:30

Interesting!.. will take a look into that .... thanks.

SkyLeaks
Battery Charged

Post by SkyLeaks » 17 Jan 2013, 19:18

Hi!

i ve tried "ffplay http://192.168.1.1:5555" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" or "ffplay tcp://192.168.1.1:5555" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" ... it works like a charm, when i m directly connected to the drone.

Now suppose i have a Java programm, that opens a Socket to 192.168.1.1:5555 and reads the InputStream. I tried to redirect the InputStream from the Drone to another Sockets OutputStream (i.e. 192.168.43.1:4444), so that i can play it with "ffplay http://192.168.43.1:4444" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" from any other machine with internet access. That doesnt work that good... ffplay shows me some images/frames while some other frames seem corrupted or missing.

For redirecting the InputStream to the OutputStream i use the org.apache.commons.io.IOUtils.copy(InputStream, OutputStream) method. I cant run ffmpeg directly from the machine, that is connected to the drone via Wifi and is running the Java programm i wrote.

Can someone plz help me out, or show me what i m missing?

thx

blackhawkrob
Ready for take off

Post by blackhawkrob » 20 Jan 2013, 16:05

SkyLeaks wrote:Hi!

i ve tried "ffplay http://192.168.1.1:5555" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" or "ffplay tcp://192.168.1.1:5555" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" ... it works like a charm, when i m directly connected to the drone.

Now suppose i have a Java programm, that opens a Socket to 192.168.1.1:5555 and reads the InputStream. I tried to redirect the InputStream from the Drone to another Sockets OutputStream (i.e. 192.168.43.1:4444), so that i can play it with "ffplay http://192.168.43.1:4444" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" from any other machine with internet access. That doesnt work that good... ffplay shows me some images/frames while some other frames seem corrupted or missing.

For redirecting the InputStream to the OutputStream i use the org.apache.commons.io.IOUtils.copy(InputStream, OutputStream) method. I cant run ffmpeg directly from the machine, that is connected to the drone via Wifi and is running the Java programm i wrote.

Can someone plz help me out, or show me what i m missing?

thx
Hey Skyleaks,

Well, im wrestling with the videostream myself as well. I believe that the videostream thats sent is realtime, unconverted H264 video. Maybe, if you can get it to work with VLC, you could set up a streaming server. VLC is quite easy in streaming video.

Other than that, i don't think i can help you :(

3nslav3
Batterys getting low

Post by 3nslav3 » 20 Jan 2013, 16:30

This is awesome! thanks for this!

alexhidrobo
Up and hovering

Post by alexhidrobo » 20 Jan 2013, 17:30

Amazing Discover!!! There are many possibilities with this. :o

mmmmmmwei
Newcomer

Post by mmmmmmwei » 20 Sep 2018, 17:16

Hi, thanks for your information. However, how to switch the camera to bottom camera?