Viewing the drone's camera on linux / windows w/o app

Parrot SDK, Linux SDK, Java, PC, Mac, scripts for Parrot drones... etc.
blackhawkrob
Ready for take off
Drone Type: AR.Drone 2
Has thanked: 0

Viewing the drone's camera on linux / windows w/o app

Post by blackhawkrob » 16 Jan 2013, 17:15

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to share this.

If you want to view the camera of the drone without any application, here's your solution:

Download FFMPEG: http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (install winrar or 7zip to extract)

Put the FFMPEG, FFPLAY and the other one in a folder you can easily remember (e.g. C:\ffmpeg\ )

Now connect to your drone via WiFi, and execute this command on your PC (START+R)

Code: Select all

c:\ffmpeg\ffplay tcp://192.168.1.1:5555
This starts the ffmpeg player on the TCP stream of your drone. After a few seconds you' ll start to see the video stream. Latency is awful, but who cares.

By some tweaking you might also be able to stream this live, setup a webserver, screenshot every second or simply record to your PC. You'll just have to find some FFMPEG commands (its a HUGE program)

Have fun!

bstrippy
Chased the cat
Been thanked: 0

Re: Viewing the drone's camera on linux / windows w/o app

Post by bstrippy » 16 Jan 2013, 17:30

Interesting!.. will take a look into that .... thanks.

SkyLeaks
Battery Charged

Post by SkyLeaks » 17 Jan 2013, 19:18

Hi!

i ve tried "ffplay http://192.168.1.1:5555" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" or "ffplay tcp://192.168.1.1:5555" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" ... it works like a charm, when i m directly connected to the drone.

Now suppose i have a Java programm, that opens a Socket to 192.168.1.1:5555 and reads the InputStream. I tried to redirect the InputStream from the Drone to another Sockets OutputStream (i.e. 192.168.43.1:4444), so that i can play it with "ffplay http://192.168.43.1:4444" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" from any other machine with internet access. That doesnt work that good... ffplay shows me some images/frames while some other frames seem corrupted or missing.

For redirecting the InputStream to the OutputStream i use the org.apache.commons.io.IOUtils.copy(InputStream, OutputStream) method. I cant run ffmpeg directly from the machine, that is connected to the drone via Wifi and is running the Java programm i wrote.

Can someone plz help me out, or show me what i m missing?

thx

blackhawkrob
Ready for take off

Post by blackhawkrob » 20 Jan 2013, 16:05

SkyLeaks wrote:Hi!

i ve tried "ffplay http://192.168.1.1:5555" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" or "ffplay tcp://192.168.1.1:5555" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" ... it works like a charm, when i m directly connected to the drone.

Now suppose i have a Java programm, that opens a Socket to 192.168.1.1:5555 and reads the InputStream. I tried to redirect the InputStream from the Drone to another Sockets OutputStream (i.e. 192.168.43.1:4444), so that i can play it with "ffplay http://192.168.43.1:4444" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" from any other machine with internet access. That doesnt work that good... ffplay shows me some images/frames while some other frames seem corrupted or missing.

For redirecting the InputStream to the OutputStream i use the org.apache.commons.io.IOUtils.copy(InputStream, OutputStream) method. I cant run ffmpeg directly from the machine, that is connected to the drone via Wifi and is running the Java programm i wrote.

Can someone plz help me out, or show me what i m missing?

thx
Hey Skyleaks,

Well, im wrestling with the videostream myself as well. I believe that the videostream thats sent is realtime, unconverted H264 video. Maybe, if you can get it to work with VLC, you could set up a streaming server. VLC is quite easy in streaming video.

Other than that, i don't think i can help you :(

3nslav3
Batterys getting low

Post by 3nslav3 » 20 Jan 2013, 16:30

This is awesome! thanks for this!

alexhidrobo
Up and hovering

Post by alexhidrobo » 20 Jan 2013, 17:30

Amazing Discover!!! There are many possibilities with this. :o

mmmmmmwei
Newcomer

Post by mmmmmmwei » 20 Sep 2018, 17:16

Hi, thanks for your information. However, how to switch the camera to bottom camera?

Eun Mcknight
Newcomer
Drone Type: Bebop

Post by Eun Mcknight » 06 Nov 2018, 09:07

This is an amazing project! How about running the whole thing on an intel edison? They can handle python and USB cameras, as well as arduino code. It also comes with built in wifi so you won't need a wireless card for drone's camera. Would be cool to see the whole thing on a small self contained unit!