Downward camera and ir LEDs

Mirumod, Macgyver, hull, cam, propeller, leg, cross, ball bearing mods... etc.
hefro
Just flips over
Drone Type: Bebop

Downward camera and ir LEDs

Post by hefro » 22 May 2012, 10:30

I was wondering if anyone has tried using infra red LEDs under the drone for night flying. I ask this because I think it would be fun to fly at night without a huge white light giving away its position. I know alot of digital camera's can pickup or led light, one only needs to see all the digital spy camera's with them to allow 5 or so meters of " night vision" so I figure the drone camera's might be able to see the ir LEDs light.
Just thought I'd ask before I sources a 12v ir led kit and give it a try.

arlee
Just flips over

Re: Downward camera and ir LEDs

Post by arlee » 18 Jun 2012, 14:57

thought about this myself. Just flash a TV remote control towards the camera and see if it sees it. It would need to be something high powered to give enough IR illumination. How would you power it or activate/deactivate it?

3nslav3
Batterys getting low
Drone Type: AR.Drone 2

Post by 3nslav3 » 18 Jun 2012, 21:56

it's not worth it, I tested this on the front and bottom camera on the AR drone 2.0 with a 3Watt IR LED, the camera's can only see a small piece of the IR spectrum (just not sensitive enough to see IR light) :cry:
so that means => the camera can see the LED flashing but for good performance it needs to be able to see the complete part of the IR spectrum for serious night action, it's a waste of time really unless there is a way to replace the cameras with something more sensitive to IR light

hefro
Just flips over
Drone Type: Bebop

Post by hefro » 19 Jun 2012, 13:02

It actually does work, just need to find Ir LEDs that project further, check the general forum, and the thread about night flying, or check out this link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E36FJVIvETk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I did the testing this morning.

I didn't get a response for ages so I sorced and 18 led ir unit, and did some testing. Downward camera saw the light just fine to an altitude of about 50cm.