Macgyver mod and video

Mirumod, Macgyver, hull, cam, propeller, leg, cross, ball bearing mods... etc.
hefro
Just flips over
Drone Type: Bebop

Macgyver mod and video

Post by hefro » 12 May 2012, 23:58

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has actually managed to record or even view video on an idevice while using the macgyver mod? I keep getting a bucket load of lag, I think it's interference from the transmitter, but I'm sure I've read that some people have managed to get a good video feed.

tonyh0905
Chased the cat

Re: Macgyver mod and video

Post by tonyh0905 » 13 May 2012, 23:28

hefro wrote:Hi, I was wondering if anyone has actually managed to record or even view video on an idevice while using the macgyver mod? I keep getting a bucket load of lag, I think it's interference from the transmitter, but I'm sure I've read that some people have managed to get a good video feed.
The downward facing corner of this vid was recorded on my Samsung GSii using Ardrone Flight, the rest was recorded on a 808#16 keychain camera.

I have noticed it works best if you keep your TX and idev as far apart as possible....If I mount my phone on my TX it usually ends badly :)

Direct link: http://www.youtube.com/v/URVyqx5UyTA
ArDrone V1 / MiruMod
808 # 16 camera

DJI F450 / Dx6i
GoPro Hero3 silver

http://www.youtube.com/user/tonyh0905

Tizzy
Thinking of bearings
Drone Type: AR.Drone

Post by Tizzy » 15 May 2012, 17:26

I received MacG's new Rx in the mail today (free of charge even tho it got lost in the mail). With the latest miru firmware v.0.17, MacGyvers build has no problems displaying or recording video on my HTC DesireHD (android) or my Archos G9Turbo, no matter what the proximity to the Tx. I use MeavyDev's ARDrone Flight to record at 13fps which isn't the best but good enough.

Here's some footage off the onboard cam:

Direct link: http://www.youtube.com/v/_85YWMg42fE

Direct link: http://www.youtube.com/v/S8IyIKXlLcw

drone
Thinking of bearings

Post by drone » 17 May 2012, 05:56

Same here, I record to my iPad using freeflight app, can't control the drone, but can start record and it seems to work ok.

hefro
Just flips over

Post by hefro » 17 May 2012, 07:52

Thanks for all the replies, maybe I'm just being fussy. I get the same sort of video as in Tizzy's clips. Nearly exactly the same as the indoor video. Records alright until I give the controller input, then it gets the interference. I was hoping to be able to be able to do some fpv flying without actually being able to see the drone, but alas, maybe I can't

Tizzy
Thinking of bearings

Post by Tizzy » 17 May 2012, 09:20

hefro wrote:Thanks for all the replies, maybe I'm just being fussy. I get the same sort of video as in Tizzy's clips. Nearly exactly the same as the indoor video.
Makes me think it's largely reliant on the device used to record, as the inside footage is done on a phone at close range (which definitely improved when the phone was closer to the drone) while the outside footage is done on a more powerful dualcore 1,5Ghz tablet. Not only is image quality a lot better on the tablet and less susceptible to interference but I even got good footage at quite some distance from the drone. It's all relatively speaking of course as there is in both cases a delay of about 0,5 second which makes fpv flying difficult, and the 50meter wifi limit doesn't help that either.

Anyways, perfect weather this morning so am off to try some more stuff, like getting the GoPro to do some work. This has proved difficult as the drone can hardly lift it even without a mount (see my post in the mod section) and I'm amazed at some of the footage some people get from their GoPro combo.

hefro
Just flips over

Post by hefro » 20 May 2012, 11:54

I think you right Tizzy, the device being used probably has a lot to do with the quality of the video. Sort of got around my fpv issue, I had an old 1.2ghz wireless camera that works on 9 a 12 volts, so using the extra channel on the macgyver mod and the 12v switch, I disconnected the rocket launcher, and connected the camera. Now with the receiver connected to my tv, I can sit on my couch and fly the drone straight out my front door, and up to 400ft away before the video goes fuzzy.
The only problem is the battery life, I have no way of seeing the lights start to flash for low battery so I end up cutting the flights short. And also, I can not record the video feed.
Now for those of you reading carefully, yes I wrote rocket launcher. I have been building and launching model rockets for 17 years now, and also k ow how to safely remove the ejection charge from commercial rockets(i know most places tampering with the engine internals is frowned apon) plus have enough land that I can ensure the rocket won't leave my property. By hooking the rocket up to the 5th channel I could simply turn the dial on the remote and launch the rocket.
Yes it's probably immature, stupid or what ever, but hey it's so much fun.

Tizzy
Thinking of bearings

Post by Tizzy » 20 May 2012, 13:41

I'd like to see some footage of that! Have you set up something of a target or is it just the local wildlife and in-laws that need to stay sharp when the drones about? :-)

hefro
Just flips over

Post by hefro » 20 May 2012, 13:55

Hey Tizzy, no targets setup, with out the fpv working its hard to aim, I'll get to a pc tomorrow and put a video from my testing faze here.
Hmmm.. The inlaws.... Now that would be fun.

Tizzy
Thinking of bearings

Post by Tizzy » 20 May 2012, 14:31

Can't wait, especially of the inlaw footage :-D

deanes
Thinking of bearings

Post by deanes » 20 May 2012, 14:37

hefro wrote:.... And also, I can not record the video feed.
Just run it thru an old vcr, or get a $15.00 usb tv receiver for your laptop

Question?? I need more info about how you use the 5th channel to power the camera? Do I need the switch Mac sells to turn on lights? Any details would be appreciated. I have one of those old cameras and plan to use it's receiver to feed into a 10" portable flatscreen tv mounted on my MacGiver transmitter. Any info will be appreciated.

hefro
Just flips over

Post by hefro » 20 May 2012, 14:45

Deanes, running it through the switch Mac sells just gives the ability to turn it on and off, or to have it on all the time you can wire it straight into the battery.

Tizzy
Thinking of bearings

Post by Tizzy » 20 May 2012, 15:06

deanes wrote:Question?? I need more info about how you use the 5th channel to power the camera? Do I need the switch Mac sells to turn on lights? Any details would be appreciated. I have one of those old cameras and plan to use it's receiver to feed into a 10" portable flatscreen tv mounted on my MacGiver transmitter. Any info will be appreciated.
As far as I can see from th pictures, MacG's switch is cleverly linked to the balance connector from the battery and as such can power both an external device and the switch itself directly off the battery.

tonyh0905
Chased the cat

Post by tonyh0905 » 20 May 2012, 16:01

deanes wrote: Question?? I need more info about how you use the 5th channel to power the camera? Do I need the switch Mac sells to turn on lights? Any details would be appreciated. I have one of those old cameras and plan to use it's receiver to feed into a 10" portable flatscreen tv mounted on my MacGiver transmitter. Any info will be appreciated.
You don't use the 5th channel to power your extra device (camera, lights, etc), you pick up the power from the balance charger plug on the battery. You use the 5th channel to switch it on/off using Mike's remote switch, or something similar.

I use one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI. ... 0681134864" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to control my lighting mod.

It's basically the same as Mike's but without the male and female balance charger plugs.
ArDrone V1 / MiruMod
808 # 16 camera

DJI F450 / Dx6i
GoPro Hero3 silver

http://www.youtube.com/user/tonyh0905

hefro
Just flips over

Post by hefro » 21 May 2012, 01:49

if someone can tell me how to upload a file correctly i'll upload a vid of a rocket launch.